IGNORED

15 years since my first City game...

shahanshahan

That was the only game I attended that season…was very much a part-timer in those years.  Took two work colleagues, one an Oxford fan who was quite impressed with it all, the other an Everton fan who moaned all night it was tiny and nothing like Goodison Park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Recently realised that today is the 15 year anniversary of attending my first ever (City) game (at Ashton Gate, being the tender young age of 19!).
A 0-0 game against Watford on Tuesday 11 March 2008, with Basso saving a penalty from Darius Henderson being the highlight.
Despite growing up in nearby Long Ashton, I didn't really get the football bug until I started uni.
In the years since there have been good times, great times & bad times - but it's great to be a fan, and now a board member on the SC&T.
Due to another commitment I wasn't able to be at Ashton Gate 15 years after my first game, but at least there was a win today! CTID

Came across these photos I took which I haven't seen in years. I still have my ticket & programme somewhere...

SL271122.jpg

SL271124.jpg

SL271125.jpg

SL271126.jpg

SL271127.jpg

SL271128.jpg

SL271129.jpg

SL271130.jpg

SL271133.jpg

SL271138.jpg

SL271139.jpg

SL271140.jpg

SL271141.jpg

SL271142.jpg

SL271143.jpg

SL271144.jpg

SL271145.jpg

SL271146.jpg

SL271147.jpg

SL271148.jpg

SL271149.jpg

SL271150.jpg

Wow incredible how comparatively poor the stadium was then - although the match day experience was so good in those days

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Recently realised that today is the 15 year anniversary of attending my first ever (City) game (at Ashton Gate, being the tender young age of 19!).
A 0-0 game against Watford on Tuesday 11 March 2008, with Basso saving a penalty from Darius Henderson being the highlight.
Despite growing up in nearby Long Ashton, I didn't really get the football bug until I started uni.
In the years since there have been good times, great times & bad times - but it's great to be a fan, and now a board member on the SC&T.
Due to another commitment I wasn't able to be at Ashton Gate 15 years after my first game, but at least there was a win today! CTID

Came across these photos I took which I haven't seen in years. I still have my ticket & programme somewhere...

SL271122.jpg

SL271124.jpg

SL271125.jpg

SL271126.jpg

SL271127.jpg

SL271128.jpg

SL271129.jpg

SL271130.jpg

SL271133.jpg

SL271138.jpg

SL271139.jpg

SL271140.jpg

SL271141.jpg

SL271142.jpg

SL271143.jpg

SL271144.jpg

SL271145.jpg

SL271146.jpg

SL271147.jpg

SL271148.jpg

SL271149.jpg

SL271150.jpg

I miss that little scoreboard on top of the Wedlock’s ?

• Like 2

Did we really do that fireworks thing 15 ,years ago? I thought that was more recent. 

I've noticed when others have told similar stories, that the result is often the last thing that affects whether they return or not. It might be the atmosphere, the off the field experience, an individual event or player, but the actual result never seems to matter.

I can't match @cidered abroad but this season coming up will be my 58th, I wish I knew the very first game, but the first I recall was a 4-0 hammering of Charlton Athletic in September '66, again not because of the result but because I met my cousin for the first time, a visiting Charlton fan and I actually remember the walk along Ashton Rd more than the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Did we really do that fireworks thing 15 ,years ago? I thought that was more recent. 

I've noticed when others have told similar stories, that the result is often the last thing that affects whether they return or not. It might be the atmosphere, the off the field experience, an individual event or player, but the actual result never seems to matter.

I can't match @cidered abroad but this season coming up will be my 58th, I wish I knew the very first game, but the first I recall was a 4-0 hammering of Charlton Athletic in September '66, again not because of the result but because I met my cousin for the first time, a visiting Charlton fan and I actually remember the walk along Ashton Rd more than the game.

Think we were doing it in the late 90's early 2000's. Gas games in particular. 

I loved night games at Ashton Gate back then. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

In 3 weeks time it will be my 53rd year anniversary-city 0 -1 Sheffield united.April 4th 1970,just before my 5th birthday.
Looking at the final league table that year (old div 2)we finished 14th ,Huddersfield and Blackpool were promoted and Preston and Aston Villa relegated.

Only had to wait another 6seasons to see us promoted to the promised land.I guess my generation were very lucky on that front.Got to happen again soon ,surely.

• Like 1

48 years going here. Seen some total shite and some great great moments. And feel we building for some more good times. But then it's not bad at present. I miss those old Rovers Derbys. Not for the faint hearted at times. I always lived in Bristol in different blue areas of town but always where my city shirt with pride . Our City is red 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

@shahanshahan, is there a bin photo? If you had that it's a complete set ?

I wasn't on OTIB then so wasn't aware the bin photo was a thing ?

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Well done Shahanshahan. You'll be an old man before you realise it.

As for me, on April 7th, it will be my 73rd anniversary. I'm not far off total insanity.

Cheers! You can just call me Shahan...

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That’s true. My first game was a 4-1 home defeat.

• Like 1

Am I the only one on here that struggles to remember the first game I went to this season let alone a game from in my case about 48 years back. I do remember the Portsmouth game when we won promotion to Div 1 and I think it was Notts County on the Saturday after..which we lost.

1 minute ago, weepywall said:

Am I the only one on here that struggles to remember the first game I went to this season let alone a game from in my case about 48 years back. I do remember the Portsmouth game when we won promotion to Div 1 and I think it was Notts County on the Saturday after..which we lost.

Correct they were my first two games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That was the only game I attended that season…was very much a part-timer in those years.  Took two work colleagues, one an Oxford fan who was quite impressed with it all, the other an Everton fan who moaned all night it was tiny and nothing like Goodison Park.

He might get another chance to see it next season!

• Haha 1