IGNORED

Points deductions!

Johnny Musicworks

Looking like 3 teams facing points deductions this season. Huddersfield if they go into Administration this week ready for takeover could lose 12 points. Wigan having missed a wages payment this month will probably get the 3 points that were suspended previously and Reading 6 points. For the first two it will all but confirm relegation. Any more teams I wonder ?

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Looking like 3 teams facing points deductions this season. Huddersfield if they go into Administration this week ready for takeover could lose 12 points. Wigan having missed a wages payment this month will probably get the 3 points that were suspended previously and Reading 6 points. For the first two it will all but confirm relegation. Any more teams I wonder ?

As long as not us who cares 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I’m guessing with Huddersfield, assuming they get relegated, they will start next season with -12.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m guessing with Huddersfield, assuming they get relegated, they will start next season with -12.

That’s what should happen but the article I read earlier suggests that the points will be deducted this season - feels very wrong if that’s the case, on the basis that they are likely to go down anyway 

• Hmmm 2

One article said that going into Administration was being considered as a way to hasten the sale of the club and could happen this week and if done by Thursday would mean a points deduction this season. Presumably admin would reduce the price for the purchaser and clear any points deduction before next season.

56 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

One article said that going into Administration was being considered as a way to hasten the sale of the club and could happen this week and if done by Thursday would mean a points deduction this season. Presumably admin would reduce the price for the purchaser and clear any points deduction before next season.

If they would be relegated anyway without the deduction, it would apply for next season:

Screenshot_20230312-124737-384~2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

If they would be relegated anyway without the deduction, it would apply for next season:

Too quick for me….ta.

The rule was put in specifically after the likes of Leeds went into admin straight after relegation confirmed.

Edited by Davefevs

1 minute ago, Tully Bascomb said:

And that’s why it’s called football chat, all things football, or are you fishing…..again?

Eh? You’ve just made the point I made and asked me if I’m fishing.  Bizarre 

Just now, Tully Bascomb said:

Sorry, just reread your reply and realised I jumped the gun, my apologies 

No worries. I don’t fish, just so you know!

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

That's if the administration happens in line with 12.3.2 which reads:

"12.3.2  during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.4 shall apply"

Administration today would result in a deduction this season - regardless of their current or end-of-season position. 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

That's if the administration happens in line with 12.3.2 which reads:

"12.3.2  during the Normal Playing Season but after 5.00pm on the fourth Thursday in March, Regulation 12.4 shall apply"

Administration today would result in a deduction this season - regardless of their current or end-of-season position. 

Always read the fine print

Screenshot_20230312_155323_Twitter.jpg.643a3674a3090d61137483eb795d14c2.jpg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Based on a few bits I've heard about Wigan, a points deduction is the least of their worries. Strong rumours that the owner has done a runner and left them in the lurch.

Seems like they use the same accountants as Swindle. Weren’t they in serious trouble just a couple of years ago ?

• Like 1

Burnley put under a transfer embargo for submitting their accounts late.

Not sure how this will have any effect on them right now and presume it will be sorted by the time the transfer window opens. And they’ll be in the Premier League then so probably won’t count anyway.

From Burnley Web site, not sure if going to make any odds, just a technicality 

We would like to share with our supporters the disappointing news that the EFL are placing the club under an immediate transfer embargo.

We believe transparency in these matters is paramount and we want to explain why this has happened.

In our continued efforts to improve and move forward Burnley Football Club we made the decision to change our auditors in November and the transition has taken longer than we anticipated.

We can confirm that we have provided draft accounts and financial information to the EFL’s Club Financial Reporting Unit and we continue to have regular dialogue with the unit to ensure we remain as open and as transparent and answer any questions the League may have.

We believe the EFL will have no issue with the detail of our accounts other than their late submission and fully understand and support their position and efforts to sanction any club who fails to comply with any of their regulations.

Both the Club and our new auditors are confident this can be resolved swiftly and we hope our submission will be made next month at which point the embargo will be lifted.

We once again wish to assure supporters this will have no detriment to the ongoing success and development of the Club as we move forward.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks Mr P. Could they be in the mire this season as well?

FFP Ska? Possibly. Some chatter at their end that without the Bellingham cash or some other transfer profit by the end of June (their accounts run until end of June) then they might exceed allowable losses again. I think they might be set to be narrowly within, in which case the problem would be to the season ending 2023-24 but a Bellingham sell on clause should save them as he surely goes in 2023-24 if not by end of June?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

On 12/03/2023 at 09:27, Johnny Musicworks said:

Makes you realise what a great job our management team have done not only to avoid a points deduction but also to be mid table this year.

• Like 17

Here's one thought.

Should clubs submitting to the League, late accounts and or real time Projected accounts late too, be an strict liability offence? ie "Your responsibility, the responsibility is an obvious yet onerous one- automatic points deduction".

This wouldn't serve to offset or mitigate against any kind of sanction for what is in accounts or Projections should these be problematic.

My view is yes, they have ample time. 1st March from end of May, June or July is plenty.

Obviously the embargo would also be in play until submission of accounts.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Here's one thought.

Should clubs submitting to the League, late accounts and or real time Projected accounts late too, be an strict liability offence? ie "Your responsibility, the responsibility is an obvious yet onerous one- automatic points deduction".

This wouldn't serve to offset or mitigate against any kind of sanction for what is in accounts or Projections should these be problematic.

My view is yes, they have ample time. 1st March from end of May, June or July is plenty.

Obviously the embargo would also be in play until submission of accounts.

So if they miss the deadline by one or two days they automatically lose a few points?

Perhaps an automatic suspended points deduction, with a two month grace period before they kick in and are actually deducted. Late filing of accounts is something to be discouraged, but I don't think you want strict and automatic points deductions for administrative errors. Suspending the points deduction allows for rectification and is a more collaborative and supportive approach to regulation.

Given the timing in the season of most deadlines - with just a dozen or so games left to play - points deductions are sensitive (although I'd suggest they follow the same rules as insolvency related deductions when deciding which season to apply them to).

• Like 3