IGNORED

Do blocked shots count as a shot on goal?

Curr Avon

As I understand it most stat sources count them as shots, but not as shots on target. The BBC texts that go along with them will often say things like ‘shot from the left edge of the box by Bell, but it is blocked’, and the number of shots goes up by one. A few sites also provide data on the number of blocked shots.Shots on target tend to be saves, goals or ‘cleared off the line’.

Obviously some blocked shots would have been on target, but I would imagine with most it’s difficult to tell.

Example on BBC stats and texts from yesterday..

“90’ Attempt blocked. Anis Mehmeti (Bristol City) right footed shot from the left side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Andreas Weimann.”

which then counted as one of our 18 shots in their stats.

Edited by cityexile

13 minutes ago, cityexile said:

As I understand it most stat sources count them as shots, but not as shots on target. The BBC texts that go along with them will often say things like ‘shot from the left edge of the box by Bell, but it is blocked’, and the number of shots goes up by one. A few sites also provide data on the number of blocked shots.Shots on target tend to be saves, goals or ‘cleared off the line’.

Obviously some blocked shots would have been on target, but I would imagine with most it’s difficult to tell.

Example on BBC stats and texts from yesterday..

“90’ Attempt blocked. Anis Mehmeti (Bristol City) right footed shot from the left side of the box is blocked. Assisted by Andreas Weimann.”

which then counted as one of our 18 shots in their stats.

Yep.  As per the other thread, BBC don’t include a shot that is blocked as a shot on target, just a shot.  Sky include blocks as a separate line.

image.thumb.png.1c9f50398f8e0b5dced8e4a3de9eaa6d.png

That gives a bit more context to the chances we created.  Not perfect, but better than bbc.

image.png.7a9fbc651a831577def4180988258afe.png

@Curr Avon this is why I’ve challenged Ian on this in the past on the pod. To use a single set of numbers / piece of data from bbc to decree we are good, bad are indifferent is not analysis.

Shots are not a good measure in their own right either…as we can see from both sources.

If you watch yesterday’s game back and look at the 11 first half shots / 1 on target from bbc it doesn’t represent the quality of chance we had, nor some of the quality defending too.  Our first goal wasn’t anywhere near as good a chance as others we had that didn’t hit the target or were blocked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

We discussed this on the FBC Podcast yesterday and I was assured they do, but can't get a clear answer via Google.

Anyone?

@Davefevs is right to highlight that the BBC provide some of the most basic stats around  Sky are a little better, but imo if you're going to discuss shots then I'd suggest you all download FotMob. It's free, sources it's data from Statsbomb - one of the bigger UK stats companies with one of the best free xG models - and gives detailed breakdowns of shots in an easy to understand way. The interface is easy, clear, and bold.

You can scroll through shot by shot and see the result, the xG rating, the angle etc. 

It won't be necessary for every shot to be analysed in detail, but it's useful to enable you to define what you're discussing.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

It should be as simple as

Shot which would go into the net =Shot on target

Shot which would miss the goal =Shot

Rocket science it is not

The trouble with that is it sounds very simple but in practice it won't be. What about shots that are blocked by an opposition player from less than a yard away from the shot, some shots are blocked inches away and are virtually a tackle, also plenty of shots would initially be going wide (Weimanns goal yesterday would be classed as off target wouldn't it if it was blocked within a few yards)? 

It may not be perfect as it stands now, but it is probably the easiest and quickest way without going too technical and have cameras everywhere and more people checking, with even more disagreeing that certain shots are on or off target).

5 minutes ago, TheReds said:

The trouble with that is it sounds very simple but in practice it won't be. What about shots that are blocked by an opposition player from less than a yard away from the shot, some shots are blocked inches away and are virtually a tackle, also plenty of shots would initially be going wide (Weimanns goal yesterday would be classed as off target wouldn't it if it was blocked within a few yards)? 

It may not be perfect as it stands now, but it is probably the easiest and quickest way without going too technical and have cameras everywhere and more people checking, with even more disagreeing that certain shots are on or off target).

Because its hit the opposition player, then its not a shot on goal. 

16 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Because its hit the opposition player, then its not a shot on goal. 

Yes I know that, I was replying to a post that as I understand it, suggested it would change the current way they are recorded as a blocked shot to be recorded as a shot on target. Unless I have completely read it wrong?

There are a lot of issues around this on betting sites, for example there was a bet in the World Cup with Messi to have x amount of shots on goal , he took a free kick (if i remember correctly) from wide of the 18 yard box, had the keeper not tipped it over the bar it would have gone in, however these bets are paid out on Opta stats and they said it was a cross so not a shot on goal so b365 never paid out.

Edit - found the example 

Edited by Rob k

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

I agree with this and I believe that’s how bookies define them - eg if it’s blocked it’s not a shot on target 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

There are a lot of issues around this on betting sites, for example there was a bet in the World Cup with Messi to have x amount of shots on goal , he took a free kick (if i remember correctly) from wide of the 18 yard box, had the keeper not tipped it over the bar it would have gone in, however these bets are paid out on Opta stats and they said it was a cross so not a shot on goal so b365 never paid out.

Edit - found the example 

I have never seen that before, I would say they should have classed that as a shot on target as the keeper saved it from being a goal (nobody can 100% guarantee he wasn't going for the far top corner either). There are plenty of examples of crosses that have gone straight in and they would count them as a shot on target so this example seems a bit off to me. 

I recently looked into it due to betting and found the below:
Shot on Target
Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block).
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fammyfan said:
I recently looked into it due to betting and found the below:
Shot on Target
Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block).

I've often wondered whether it has to be "saved" by the goal keeper as opposed to anyone else on his team for it to be a shot on target.