IGNORED

Avarage away support in the championship so far this season

winsaw

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Barely any better than the Gas

Our away support is crap

17th despite our home support being 7th best

Doesn't look great but not too bothered considering our best finish in 7 seasons is 8th. 

Lots of variables to consider but see how it looks at the end of the season.

40 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Barely any better than the Gas

Our away support is crap

17th despite our home support being 7th best

None of those are that high though in fairness. A lot can't afford it these days and if it's a choice to go to a football match or pay a bill it's an easy decision for most people.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

None of those are that high though in fairness. A lot can't afford it these days and if it's a choice to go to a football match or pay a bill it's an easy decision for most people.

But if you are concluding that its easier to afford it in Preston, White City, Blackburn, Hull, Wigan, Blackpool* then that would be a wrong conclusion obviously.

Looking at the list and not to sound like a Gashead but our percentage of away support compared to home attendances must be bottom of the league.

*Just picking teams that have nowhere near our fanbase but higher away support.

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

But if you are concluding that its easier to afford it in Preston, White City, Blackburn, Hull, Wigan, Blackpool* then that would be a wrong conclusion obviously.

Looking at the list and not to sound like a Gashead but our percentage of away support compared to home attendances must be bottom of the league.

They have a hell of a lot of games that are incredibly close by to them.   

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think a lot of it is about how far people have to travel, the club's you list all have a lot of close games that helps, only 7 sides have a higher avarage distance to travel than us

• Thanks 1

We have the following left;

Luton, Swansea, Stoke, Watford, Sheffield Utd, QPR

I would think that all those except Luton will be above average away attendances.

As for the North West clubs, some are within 20 miles of each other or at least an hour or so, meaning less time and expense to travel, so their away attendances are skewed in that respect. I think PNE took over 6k to one of their local away games..

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3

City have a regular and loyal away following but as an indicator of support as a whole its not a strong statistic. There are just too many variables that affect the outcome. Distance to travel, time of fixture, is it on TV, cost of ticket, parking and travel, are the trains running, are motorways open or closed (especially for the return journey), weather conditions etc.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, lenred said:

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

I think a lot of it is about how far people have to travel, the club's you list all have a lot of close games that helps, only 7 sides have a higher avarage distance to travel than us

True, but only up to a point. The final column looks at that.
Sunderland and Middlesbrough, with 35% and 19% more miles to travel than the average make up two out of the top 3!

I was surprised we’re only 9% higher than the average for the division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Precisely. And better  public transport networks.

Not all City fans live in Bristol.  Somerset-based fans like me are particularly badly served by public transport networks. The nearest railway station is 10 miles from me, is a nightmare to park in, and has a very limited service. 

50 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

City have a regular and loyal away following but as an indicator of support as a whole its not a strong statistic. There are just too many variables that affect the outcome. Distance to travel, time of fixture, is it on TV, cost of ticket, parking and travel, are the trains running, are motorways open or closed (especially for the return journey), weather conditions etc.

Lies, damned lies and stats !

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I would think that all those except Luton will be above average away attendances.

As for the North West clubs, some are within 20 miles of each other or at least an hour or so, meaning less time and expense to travel, so their away attendances are skewed in that respect. I think PNE took over 6k to one of their local away games..

Blackburn ?

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

True, but only up to a point. The final column looks at that.
Sunderland and Middlesbrough, with 35% and 19% more miles to travel than the average make up two out of the top 3!

I was surprised we’re only 9% higher than the average for the division. 

Simply two much bigger clubs than us, having better seasons too. 

I'd be interested to see a "mileage adjusted" table. I'm guessing we'd be halfway, and pretty much the same support as the likes of Stoke and WBA. Given we've been mostly hovering around the middle/lower middle of the C'ship for two years, it's not bad I suppose. And it is worth re-emphasising our home support is excellent for a club that hasn't seen top flight football for 43 years.

3 minutes ago, adamski said:

as with all things statistical it would be good to see the data that underpins the average...distance, rivalry, evening kick offs, league position all influence this...like the old Huish Park, it's not a level playing field!

and, of course, available capacity for away support, given a few of the 6,000s in League 1

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Simply two much bigger clubs than us, having better seasons too. 

I'd be interested to see a "mileage adjusted" table. I'm guessing we'd be halfway, and pretty much the same support as the likes of Stoke and WBA. Given we've been mostly hovering around the middle/lower middle of the C'ship for two years, it's not bad I suppose. And it is worth re-emphasising our home support is excellent for a club that hasn't seen top flight football for 43 years.

Make up of the league this year always looked very northern.  There's a good chance it will switch though with likes of Plymouth Southampton Bournemouth coming into the league and the likes of Wigan Blackpool Huddersfield Burnley Sheff U and/or Middlesboro leaving.  Whoever out of Leeds, Everton, Leicester, Palace, Forest, Wolves or West Ham come down are definitely a better away trip than Burnley.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, adamski said:

as with all things statistical it would be good to see the data that underpins the average...distance, rivalry, evening kick offs, league position all influence this...like the old Huish Park, it's not a level playing field!

That's a very good point. Not only more Northern Clubs closer together, but that would also breed bigger rivalries. PNE taking 6k to a game is something we don't get the chance to do. We , like many Clubs, are capped at our nearer games, Cardiff, Swansea etc.

I don't go much any more, just cant bring myself to spend £100 on a train ticket every time you go much further North than Brum.

TBF, though our away following might not be the best (That might change if we spent time in the Prem) , but for the Club, home attendance is more important .

5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Agree except for Sheff U away. Likely to be lower than average as it’s a midweek game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Totally agree about the variables , another one I will Chuck in is the good away trip , as I have said many times Bristol is a good day out , good pubs , decent ground , left alone by the old bill ( usually ) and up to recently more often than not they would take the 3 points with them . I think you will find we are right up there with a lot of the teams fav away game . As we can’t visit ourself on away day that’s one less decent place we can go dropping our average a little