IGNORED

Today’s press conference

Robbored

It’s easy to see why some managers become irritated during some press conferences. Twice Nige was asked the same question about Scott’s best position and in the past might he have reacted in an irascible fashion but he responded in a very calm and patient manner. 

I really think that these journalists should come up with some more interesting questions.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s easy to see why some managers become irritated during some press conferences. Twice Nige was asked the same question about Scott’s best position and in the past might he have reacted in an irascible fashion but he responded in a very calm and patient manner. 

I really think that these journalists should come up with some more interesting questions.

100% agree -  which is probably why I posted an almost identical question (without seeing this one ?) on the Luton Town away match day thread. 

• The title was changed to Today’s press conference
21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which is?

I guess most people will say “no10”.  I say Centre Midfield.

FWIW Nige’s answer was very good.

I don’t know if I would call it the no.10 role. That would suggest playing two up top.

Furthest forward of a midfield three. I guess it’s referred to as the tip of the diamond.

In my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which is?

I guess most people will say “no10”.  I say Centre Midfield.

FWIW Nige’s answer was very good.

That’s pretty much what Nige was alluding to and I’m sure many would completely agree. 

The days of an 8 or a 10 (inside right or inside left) related to the time of the inverted Xmas tree formation.and was the formation everyone played back in the 60’s. It’s so old school…………..:disapointed2se:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s pretty much what Nige was alluding to and I’m sure many would completely agree. 

The days of an 8 or a 10 (inside right or inside left) related to the time of the inverted Xmas tree formation.and was the formation everyone played back in the 60’s. It’s so old school…………..:disapointed2se:

These days it's commonly accepted that the number 10 role refers to a player who operates in the space between the midfield and strikers.......the number 8 role is a box to box midfielder....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

These days it's commonly accepted that the number 10 role refers to a player who operates in the space between the midfield and strikers.......the number 8 role is a box to box midfielder....

These days a player that operates behind the strikers is an attacking midfielder. The box to box midfielder (Scott) is a central midfielder. King is another example.

The only number that means anything these modern times  is 9. Even GKs rarely wear number I. Players all have squad numbers nowadays.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

These days a player that operates behind the strikers is an attacking midfielder. The box to box midfielder (Scott) is a central midfielder. King is another example.

The only number that means anything these modern times  is 9. Even GKs rarely wear number I. Players all have squad numbers nowadays.

Nah its a 10 and an 8, you've also got a 6 or a 4 for describing different types of centre mid

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nothing to do with the number, Scott wears 7 but he doesn't play outside right. It's about modern shorthand terms for player roles.

You clearly don't understand so no point in continuing.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Completely agree - I don’t think he sees enough of the ball further up the pitch.

I prefer him deeper.

Which was kinda the point Nige was making - that his position and influence can vary depending on how we are playing.

Its why I go for the general ‘centre midfield’ name…as it’s so wide ranging.

39 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Nothing to do with the number, Scott wears 7 but he doesn't play outside right. It's about modern shorthand terms for player roles.

You clearly don't understand so no point in continuing.

Ummm…….……:cool2:

Scott wearing 7 highlights what I’m saying - that in todays game positional number are largely meaningless.7 in the old days was a winger as was 11.

When the journalists asked Nige about 8 or 10 they must have been using the old positional numbers. Why they didn’t use modern terminology is beyond me.

Scott, for me, is our best AM when he plays there, our best CM when he plays there, our best DM when he plays there and our best WB when he plays there!

As for his position, I’m reminded of Bellingham. He wears 22 as his coaches thought he was both an 8, a 10, and a 4. So is Alex.

So he’s a 22.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

If you listen carefully, you will hear that, Bristol Live Reporter, Richard Forrester asked about Omar Taylor-Clarke... Not Alex Scott....

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If you listen carefully, you will hear that, Bristol Live Reporter, Richard Forrester asked about Omar Taylor-Clarke... Not Alex Scott....

Listen again and you’ll hear two different journalists asking the same question about Scott.

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

His comment about us not really having any passengers in our squad was interesting.

‘Passengers’ is just another word for dead wood and that’s probably what Nige thinks but wouldn’t say that in a press conference.

Absolutely right. Scott is a CM who can play anywhere across the engine room. Using dark age positional numbers to describe his position is pretty meaningless.

AW wears number 14 so he wouldn’t have got a game in the old days………..I rest my case……………:cool2: