IGNORED

Assuming he goes

James54De

I work with someone who is married to someone who knows someone who used to be married to an ex-Bristol City striker.

Their son has recently signed a pro-contract with a Championship club (not us), has just turned 18 and made his debut in the FA cup and is on £14k per week.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, grifty said:

I work with someone who is married to someone who knows someone who used to be married to an ex-Bristol City striker.

Their son has recently signed a pro-contract with a Championship club (not us), has just turned 18 and made his debut in the FA cup and is on £14k per week.

That chain must pass through Kevin Bacon at some point.

On 11/01/2023 at 09:01, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's expected that transfer fees in this window spent by prem clubs will be over 500 million. Which I believe could be a record. That's the market we are selling to. 

It ended up being around 800 million. 

With around 300 million from Chelsea. 

So if we are to sell him in the summer we can name our price realistically. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It ended up being around 800 million. 

With around 300 million from Chelsea. 

So if we are to sell him in the summer we can name our price realistically. 

How much was spent on Championship players though?

Souttar at £15m and Semenyo at £10m or so springs to mind...some warrant selling too ie Berge, Ndiaye at Sheffield United, reportedly Ince and even Joao at Reading were linked, Bentley and his fee, it was reported as nominal.

Are there any I've missed?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Souttar at £15m and Semenyo at £10m or so springs to mind...some warrant selling too ie Berge, Ndiaye at Sheffield United, reportedly Ince and even Joao at Reading were linked, Bentley and his fee, it was reported as nominal.

These were the deals I captured:

EC705D67-CC3A-43E8-8BAA-C0A0B7517628.thumb.jpeg.7cee48a65c9cef56b42f4aec8994ddad.jpeg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

These were the deals I captured:

EC705D67-CC3A-43E8-8BAA-C0A0B7517628.thumb.jpeg.7cee48a65c9cef56b42f4aec8994ddad.jpeg

Thanks. Miguel Delaney also mentioned a bit but not a breakdown dreal by deal- said abour £25m or so in up front fees- interesting to know if the £800m was just up front or add-ons, I'd the latter about 3 pct or so of PL expenditure went on Championship players.

To a bit of context- genuinely interesting times, also some of the bigger deals but not all have been lost Covid on defenders from this level.

Pope, Collins x 2 and Souttar spring to mind. Otoh Lewis-Potter, Armstrong, Semenyo although not as much as the defenders we think. Wasn't Dennis £20m though? Ramsdale in summer 2021.

Had a quick look too, PL clubs spent maybe 15 pct of expenditure in Jan 2020 on Championship players, this January it was around 3-3.5 pct. As per reported fees of course.

Extrapolated we would have seen £120m on Jan 2023 signings from PL clubs.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not so much. 

However the point I was making was that the market we are selling to is flushed with money. Just because we are a Championship club doesn't mean prem clubs can get our players on the cheap. 

Changing subject slightly but surely clubs signing all these foreign signings is unsustainable? I think if this carries on then the home grown rule needs to be increased. 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Not so much. 

However the point I was making was that the market we are selling to is flushed with money. Just because we are a Championship club doesn't mean prem clubs can get our players on the cheap. 

Changing subject slightly but surely clubs signing all these foreign signings is unsustainable? I think if this carries on then the home grown rule needs to be increased. 

PL clubs are spending less on Championship players than they once did, blip or trend who knows? Then again  it's a 25 fold increase on January 2022 (Plange for £1m maybe the only one IIRC).

It's an interesting one to watch, percentage terms are probably the best way and if Scott is as reckoned valued at £25m then that would give or take equal the entire PL spend on players at this level this window.

Wonder if the profile of player they're spending big money on at our level is also shifting- Souttar at £15m vs Semenyo at a reported £10m, yet conventional wisdom talks of strikers being worth more- again blip or trend?

Here is a counter view in fact, not hard to find on Twitter but argument that clubs are pricing players out of moves.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

If he leaves in the Summer window, I believe that the fee will exceed current amounts by a considerable amount.

He could be a gift that keeps on giving, there could be at least one may be even two big moves for him after he leaves us.

Incidentally, I think I have asked this before, but do we know if Guernsey can expect a nice windfall too?

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He could be a gift that keeps on giving, there could be at least one may be even two big moves for him after he leaves us.

Incidentally, I think I have asked this before, but do we know if Guernsey can expect a nice windfall too?

I’ve no idea, but think I’ve replied before saying the likelihood is that with Guernsey falling outside of the EPPP structure, that we bunged them a few quid when we signed him and that’ll be that.  We paid a nominal fee for Ewan Clark from Oxford City in the summer.  An act of goodwill I’m guessing, plus might’ve been on a contract there.

• Like 1