IGNORED

I don’t think the Luton chairman like us

Silvio Dante

Just now, bcfc01 said:

You should know that, why ask me ?

Just think it's a bit ironic mocking 'tinpot' Luton Town when we haven't been a top flight club since 1980. Comes across as bitter, to me. 

They're a small Town who get gates of 9-10k aswell, we have a much bigger population and catchment area and have only recently started getting averages of over 16k consistently for the last 5 years.

We're in no place to mock a club punching above its weight, when we are exactly where we always have been. I don't know where some of our fans get the entitlement from, we're the biggest underachievers in England along with Plymouth IMO.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With a very well organised side and extremely effective physicallity,  aligned to a tight pitch and intimidating atmosphere Luton were all over us.....and deservedly won.   However in the next couple of seasons we will be well above them in status and ability....so nothing to be too concerned about IMHO. ?

Edited by maxjak

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why do we give a damn? I doubt that NP or anyone else at City has lost any sleep. Only on OTIB does anyone care about what the Luton chairman thinks. 

I'm pretty sure on football forums from clubs up and down the country what opposition staff say about their club is discussed. It is just a topic for conversation, most people don't really care, they just want to talk about it. Not caring about what he said is also a very valid opinion.

46 minutes ago, maxjak said:

With a very well organised side and extremely effective physicallity,  aligned to a tight pitch and intimidating atmosphere Luton were all over us.....and deservedly won.   However in the next couple of seasons we will be well above them in status and ability....so nothing to be too concerned about IMHO. ?

I didn't catch most of the 1st half but I was disappointed that we lost to a team better set up for the conditions with our injury list. They were very physical which is fine but conceded yellow cards to professional fouls rather than mistimed challenges. The rugby tackle on Max when trying to start a quick break was bizarre, I think I would be very disappointed to see that from a City player.

Overall whilst they are riding high I have seen much better teams play us, as in better set up for any promotion.

I don't think they will get top 2 and the style of play that works on a wet night at home probably won't work at Wembley if they made it to the final. (Cue quoting this in May when they get promoted!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hollydog said:

Tbf, they have just secured planning permission for a new £17.5k capacity ground and I shudder a little at your final remark given that so many on here said the same when we signed Naismith! 
But Chairman’s remarks out of order.

I think that might be the nub of the Chairman’s mild dig at us. I recall watching an interview from Pearson after we had signed Naismith (I think it was in the close season) and he was asked how we had managed to prise Naismith away from Luton and Pearson indicated that they’d done well but - and I can’t remember his exact words but this was the gist - that he wouldn’t expect Luton to do as well again this season. 

I can't see anything nasty in the content. 

It's frustrating that last night their team looked much better than ours for long periods and they are well placed to finish in a strong position this season. 

However, they'd surely need a new stadium in order to meet the requirements of the Premier League - IF they were to get there?

Good luck to them. No issues for me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought they played some nice football, particularly in the first half last night.

I thought so too. 

I found it a strange match to watch. First half we were just so poor it was untrue. And yet I quite enjoyed watching Luton because I thought they played some really good stuff.

Second half they inexplicably decided to settle for the 1-0 and to revert to a mix of time wasting and outright thuggery. Although our football wasn’t great, and largely long balls and %s, we at least got behind them a few times and caused a few problems. So although it wasn’t great football on show, it was quite enjoyable, both because of the possibility that we might snatch a barely deserved equaliser, but also the fact that it would have been just desserts for Luton. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, redsocks said:

Tinpot club with a shite ground but for some reason they got a great chance of promotion.why can't we achieve what there chasing??

That's the big frustration for us isn't it ?; but perhaps we should be directing our mirth towards those closer to home, rather than labeling a club that has been more successful than us over the years, never mind at present, a "tinpot" club. 

I noted while looking at Twitter today that the Bristol Post have pinched this thread lock stock and barrel 8 hours after posting here. I shall be contacting Forrester and asking for a partial credit on the story (noting I meant to say “likes” in the title).

If anything’s tinpot it really is that paper. Do some proper journalism.

On 16/03/2023 at 12:04, Red-Robbo said:

Good point. We have a premier league winner.

Hall of fame (in my opinion) UK grotty league:

PL Clubs:  Winner - Croydon (Palace) r/up Wolverhampton

Championship:  Winner - Luton r/up Blackpool

L1:  Winner - Barnsley r/up Peterborough

L2:  Winner - Barrow r/up Hartlepool

Harsh on Peterborough and Hartlepool IMO. Hartlepool in particular is a nice little town and the people are great, real salt of the earth. I worked in both for ages and really enjoyed it,

Mansfield should be there though, absolutely no saving graces whatsoever. I couldn`t wait to get out of the place.

I recall when Viz did their first book of crap towns and couldn`t decide between Stoke and Hull for first place so they visited both. What swung it for Hull was that the first thing they saw after coming out of the station was a human turd in a phone box.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Harsh on Peterborough and Hartlepool IMO. Hartlepool in particular is a nice little town and the people are great, real salt of the earth. I worked in both for ages and really enjoyed it,

Mansfield should be there though, absolutely no saving graces whatsoever. I couldn`t wait to get out of the place.

I recall when Viz did their first book of crap towns and couldn`t decide between Stoke and Hull for first place so they visited both. What swung it for Hull was that the first thing they saw after coming out of the station was a human turd in a phone box.

I must admit Peterborough, Hartlepool (and Barrow) I've never visited, but I've gone on the reports of those who know and have lived in such places. 

Although I've never been to Hartlepool, I do know it's one of the 10 most deprived areas in the entire UK. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I must admit Peterborough, Hartlepool (and Barrow) I've never visited, but I've gone on the reports of those who know and have lived in such places. 

Although I've never been to Hartlepool, I do know it's one of the 10 most deprived areas in the entire UK. 

A combination of a lot of key industries collapsing at once - mining, shipbuilding, steel and fishing. When I was up there there was all the fuss about the contract for dismantling the US `ghost fleet` which would have secured hundreds of jobs for years. They had all the skills and facilities to do it and all the locals wanted it but the `green` incomers in places like Sedgefield etc. shouted the loudest and got it stopped. They would have been safely and professionally broken up and recycled but instead they went to India to be broken up on beaches - a real win for the environmentalists there.

• Like 1