IGNORED

I don’t think the Luton chairman like us

Silvio Dante

A bit of a nibble, not much of one, although surprised the chairman didn’t rise above it. Luton are doing well at the moment, fair play to the club. Thought the fans acted pretty small time / tinpottery, we’re another club that’s done a lot of nothing, did we act the same way when we got to the Championship play off final? I don’t remember so, I don’t overly blame them mind, but surprised to see the vilification of Cornick when you’re 4th and winning, they seemed genuinely angry/bitter.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, HoldenBall said:

What a very strange club Luton are, their fans too. They’re having a little honey moon period at the moment but with their terrible infrastructure and small fanbase it won’t last. 

They are remarkably successful at recruitment but a lot of their supporters seem to be suffering from delusions of grandeur.

They are punching above their weight but why they remain so bitter about the eternal truth that players will go elsewhere for better wages is baffling.

They certainly lack class, but if you’ve employed Nathan Jones twice that’s not exactly a surprise.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

In what way have we been "giving it a go" this season? Our accounts are showing that we have been cutting back and consolidating in all areas. 

Tell the *** to mind his own business and build his club the ground he promised 3 seasons ago....... Why does that sound familiar?

• Like 4

Just a little bitter then....

League table doesn't lie, they've been better than us last season and this, but some of their "better" players have still signed on with us - if you can't pay the going rate for a player in demand, then don't moan about it. That's like us moaning and being salty because someone below us has paid £2k a week more for a player of ours. That's football, it's how it works.

They do seem to think they're a bit above everyone else though, just waiting for the next fall down the leagues from them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In what way have we been "giving it a go" this season? Our accounts are showing that we have been cutting back and consolidating in all areas. 

Tell the *** to mind his own business and build his club the ground he promised 3 seasons ago....... Why does that sound familiar?

This is the lazy narrative (all over social media) that conflates our latest accounts with what is actually now on the pitch.

Losing Palmer, Bentley, Martin etc, getting Wells to sign a much reduced new deal completely passes them by.

I’d be very interested to know the wage bill of the 11 who finished last night’s game, Dasilva aside I reckon it is bottom half in the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is the lazy narrative (all over social media) that conflates our latest accounts with what is actually now on the pitch.

Losing Palmer, Bentley, Martin etc, getting Wells to sign a much reduced new deal completely passes them by.

I’d be very interested to know the wage bill of the 11 who finished last night’s game, Dasilva aside I reckon it is bottom half in the Championship.

That was the bit that first stuck out for me. The way he’d written it (no doubted coloured by the fact we took Naismith) was that this season we’d been throwing money at things - when the complete opposite is true. It allows them though to portray themselves as the plucky underdog- but on the wages front I’d bet that Marvellous Nakamba was the highest paid player out there by a street, and they’ll be funding all of that in his loan spell.

Add in the comments specifically about Naismith and the bit about “you beat us but it was our worst performance of the season” (sic) then it just comes across as both bitter and unprofessional. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I can’t see anything unprofessional in that article - he’s saying it as it is. No criticism of us at all.

I'm not surprised that you see nothing amiss with that article. It's full of bitterness if you can read between the lines. Chairmen should be more graceful than that.

And for the rest of City fans. This is a club that has spent a lot longer in the top league since the war and been to cup finals, not Mickey Mouse ones, than us.

They play a horrible style, but effective. Are well trained in the darker side of things will probably be in the play offs for the second year in a row. If they did go up, they would (dis)grace the Prem for quality of football but would be £100 million better off in one season.

While our massive club, with a superb stadium instead of some people's back yards, will still be stuck in the Championship.

PS. At least our owner has not knowingly cheated the FFP rules like Luton did on their way out of the League a few years ago. And he had the decency to get rid of the worm who did.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'm not surprised that you see nothing amiss with that article. It's full of bitterness if you can read between the lines. Chairmen should be more graceful than that.

And for the rest of City fans. This is a club that has spent a lot longer in the top league since the war and been to cup finals, not Mickey Mouse ones, than us.

They play a horrible style, but effective. Are well trained in the darker side of things will probably be in the play offs for the second year in a row. If they did go up, they would (dis)grace the Prem for quality of football but would be £100 million better off in one season.

While our massive club, with a superb stadium instead of some people's back yards, will still be stuck in the Championship.

PS. At least our owner has not knowingly cheated the FFP rules like Luton did on their way out of the League a few years ago. And he had the decency to get rid of the worm who did.

What a bizarre rant. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Programme notes from last night. Dripping with bitterness. 

I’d also be bitter and pissed off if I lived in Luton mind.

23C03901-1391-4CE3-8446-0DEBF3F8031C.jpeg

As others have said with their terrible facilities and League 1 fanbase at best it is hard to see Luton sustaining their current trajectory. 

You can only go so far on home gates of 7 thousand and a stadium that is horrendously outdated.

We all know where we are heading as a club and we have finally started to lay the foundations to not only reach the Premier league but having a decent chance of staying there if and when we finally do it. Luton on the other hand need serious investment off the pitch and about 12 thousand more home fans through the turnstiles each week to truly be able to sustain themselves at this level or the level above IMO, if they don’t go up this season i would surprised to see them finish above us next season in the championship..

Edited by Bris Red

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

That was the bit that first stuck out for me. The way he’d written it (no doubted coloured by the fact we took Naismith) was that this season we’d been throwing money at things - when the complete opposite is true. It allows them though to portray themselves as the plucky underdog- but on the wages front I’d bet that Marvellous Nakamba was the highest paid player out there by a street, and they’ll be funding all of that in his loan spell.

Add in the comments specifically about Naismith and the bit about “you beat us but it was our worst performance of the season” (sic) then it just comes across as both bitter and unprofessional. 

Yes. I'm amazed that a chairman does not realise that released accounts are generally for the season before the one we are currently in. He's not really got his finger on the pulse has he?

12 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

As others have said with their terrible facilities and League 1 fanbase at best it is hard to see Luton sustaining their current trajectory. 

You can only go so far on home gates of 7 thousand and a stadium that is horrendously outdated.

We all know where we are heading as a club and we have finally started to lay the foundations to not only reach the Premier league but having a decent chance of staying there if and when we finally do it. Luton on the other hand need serious investment off the pitch and about 12 thousand more home fans through the turnstiles each week to truly be able to sustain themselves at this level or the level above IMO, if they don’t go up this season i would surprised to see them finish above us next season in the championship..

Tbf, they have just secured planning permission for a new £17.5k capacity ground and I shudder a little at your final remark given that so many on here said the same when we signed Naismith! 
But Chairman’s remarks out of order.

I can see why some see it as a bit unprofessional, but it just reads as an ill educated ramble to me which shouldn't be taken seriously.

They're a tinpot little outfit punching well above their weight and fair play to them for doing it over two seasons, but I really can't see them maintaining it given their current lack of infrastructure and the fact that their better players will always move on to better/bigger clubs paying more money, regardless of where they are in the league.

The fact they don't recognise it is a bit weird, but they're not alone in that - we have close noisy neighbours who are equally tinpot with a lack of self awareness.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I can see why some see it as a bit unprofessional, but it just reads as an ill educated ramble to me which shouldn't be taken seriously.

They're a tinpot little outfit punching well above their weight and fair play to them for doing it over two seasons, but I really can't see them maintaining it given their current lack of infrastructure and the fact that their better players will always move on to better/bigger clubs paying more money, regardless of where they are in the league.

The fact they don't recognise it is a bit weird, but they're not alone in that - we have close noisy neighbours who are equally tinpot with a lack of self awareness.

In fairness that "tinpot little club" have achieved more than we have over the years.

Edited by Super
  • Thanks 1