IGNORED

The Injury Narrative

mozo

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think with a small squad (as mentioned earlier) we are more at risk when we do get injuries.  You could almost discount Benarous, who’s been out all season.  But injuries down the spine of the team is gonna hit us harder than other teams.

Sorry, not sure what you’re asking?

I'm saying that people talk about the squad being threadbare and that we need such and such, but we had decent players in those positions and sold them 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Think with a small squad (as mentioned earlier) we are more at risk when we do get injuries.  You could almost discount Benarous, who’s been out all season.  But injuries down the spine of the team is gonna hit us harder than other teams.

Sorry, not sure what you’re asking?

I'm saying that people talk about the squad being threadbare and that we need such and such, but we had decent players in those positions and sold them 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Ta.  Yes, from an outside view inwards, agreed.  But in a recent interview by Nige he explained why the likes of Massengo was loaned and Towler sold.  In Towler’s case, nothing negative, just that 1) it’s likely Tanner and Pring would start at CB ahead of him and 2) he’d have actually still been on loan had he not been sold.

I did have a snigger on Wednesday night when one of the radio callers suggested Towler would’ve coped with Adebayo or Morris.  Anyone who’s watched Towler at Wimbledon, Grimsby or even Portsmouth would know he’s the one who drops off and allows his CB partner(s) to be the one who attacks the aerial ball.  It’s not Ryley’s strength…at the mo’ anyway.

• Robin 1

15 hours ago, mozo said:

Benarous obviously has had a recurrence too, not that I'm trying to score a point with that

Him and Atkinson are ACL - that's simply more down to bad luck and chance than anything else, so I'd agree not much of a point score.

Williams and Kalas - as you mention, damaged goods from Rolls. I'd also argue King from his time in Belgium.

Naismith didn't have the best availability at Wigan iirc - think his availability has been slightly disappointing.

Think it comes down to squad depth, mostly - we're just way too thin in midfield and defence.

57 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Him and Atkinson are ACL - that's simply more down to bad luck and chance than anything else, so I'd agree not much of a point score.

Williams and Kalas - as you mention, damaged goods from Rolls. I'd also argue King from his time in Belgium.

Naismith didn't have the best availability at Wigan iirc - think his availability has been slightly disappointing.

Think it comes down to squad depth, mostly - we're just way too thin in midfield and defence.

My physio knowledge is non-existent so I genuinely don't know if ACL injuries are just bad luck or if they can be the result of poor conditioning, being over worked etc? Happy to take your word for it.

54 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Really rough sums to add a bit more flavour

44 games so far and our current squad has about 22 players 

968 games

189 is 19.5% of games missed by a single player although the inclusion of Anis does push that much higher. 

Removing Anis brings the percentage down to 14.8.

Doesn't feel extraordinarily high, just exasperated by our small squad size!

Ayman!!!

Was gonna post the same thing….average of four players out a game.  Minus Ayman, that’s three.  Not many games missed due to muscle injuries.  The long term ones like Kalas and Wilson are frustrating.