IGNORED

England Goalscoring List

Super

I know HK has the record but if you could pick one in their prime who would it be?

Name Goals Caps Years
Harry Kane 54 81 2015 - present
Wayne Rooney 53 120 2003 - 2018
Bobby Charlton 49 106 1958 - 1970
Gary Lineker 48 80 1984 - 1992
Jimmy Greaves 44 57 1959 - 1967
Michael Owen 40 89 1998 - 2008
Nat Lofthouse 30 33 1950 - 1958
Alan Shearer 30 63 1992 - 2000
Tom Finney 30 76 1946 - 1958
Vivian Woodward 29 23 1903 - 1911
Frank Lampard 29 106 1999 - 2014

Michael Owen for me, Rooney and Kane are very close behind (I’m too young for Lineker and beyond).

Owen had something I’ve never seen anyone else in an England shirt do. Frightening pace, running in behind off the last man, tricky dribbler and a finisher.

Rooney was close but between injuries and discipline his prime years were a bit of a disappointment, he never went to a tournament in full fitness after 04 and then later on he changed his style.

Kane is world class in my opinion, but I can’t help but wonder what this team would look like with an Owen type player up front.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Super said:

I know HK has the record but if you could pick one in their prime who would it be?

Name Goals Caps Years
Harry Kane 54 81 2015 - present
Wayne Rooney 53 120 2003 - 2018
Bobby Charlton 49 106 1958 - 1970
Gary Lineker 48 80 1984 - 1992
Jimmy Greaves 44 57 1959 - 1967
Michael Owen 40 89 1998 - 2008
Nat Lofthouse 30 33 1950 - 1958
Alan Shearer 30 63 1992 - 2000
Tom Finney 30 76 1946 - 1958
Vivian Woodward 29 23 1903 - 1911
Frank Lampard 29 106 1999 - 2014

If Owen would have stayed fit he would have beaten the record (49 at that time) I think, he was unreal when he came on the scene, another qualifying campaign and tournament would have seen him very close.  

He was done with England by the age of 28 and scored his last England goal in 2007 age 27!

https://www.englandstats.com/player.php?pid=1086

Edited by Tinmans Love Child

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Michael Owen for me, Rooney and Kane are very close behind (I’m too young for Lineker and beyond).

Owen had something I’ve never seen anyone else in an England shirt do. Frightening pace, running in behind off the last man, tricky dribbler and a finisher.

Rooney was close but between injuries and discipline his prime years were a bit of a disappointment, he never went to a tournament in full fitness after 04 and then later on he changed his style.

Kane is world class in my opinion, but I can’t help but wonder what this team would look like with an Owen type player up front.

'In their prime' it must be Owen or Rooney - it's just a shame their prime was so short lived (relative to others)

Their primes were probably when they were 18!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too.  Bloody great player, and although nobody disputes he was great, I’m not sure how many put him ahead of Moore or Hurst because of the 66 Final.

I think Charlton only scored 6 pens in his total but Kane has18.

Edited by WECANDO
Slight error in figures.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think Kane scored with 18 penalties out of those 54 England goals.  

Just checked.

WITHOUT PENALTIES:

Harry Kane - 36

Wayne Rooney - 46

Bobby Charlton - 46

Gary Linekar - 44

Frank Lampard would also drop to 20 and Alan Shearer to just 24.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If Owen would have stayed fit he would have beaten the record (49 at that time) I think, he was unreal when he came on the scene, another qualifying campaign and tournament would have seen him very close.  

He was done with England by the age of 28 and scored his last England goal in 2007 age 27!

https://www.englandstats.com/player.php?pid=1086

This england stats website is great, look at Owens top 10 England team mates based on appearances, not a bad line up!

FCE2F702-7DA5-4B78-B851-600604075103.jpeg

Statistically I think Kane is the all-around greatest. I enjoyed watching prime-Owen more, but his numbers don't match Kane.

On the penalty point - you need to know how many each player attempted as well as scored, how many were awarded whilst the player was playing, and then adjusting it to a per game basis is probably necessary as well.

38 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Owen was outstanding for England between 1998 and 2004. He got us out of jail on so many occasions, along with Beckham

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TBW said:

Just checked.

WITHOUT PENALTIES:

Harry Kane - 36

Wayne Rooney - 46

Bobby Charlton - 46

Gary Linekar - 44

Frank Lampard would also drop to 20 and Alan Shearer to just 24.

I don't think Kane's achievement is diminished because he takes penalties. Penalties still have to be scored and I want my centre forward confidently stepping up to take them. 

Greaves and Owens records would almost certainly have been better had it not been for injuries. Would we have won the 66 World Cup with Greaves instead of Hurst? Maybe. 

Bobby Charlton's record is remarkable given it was mostly from midfield. Mind you, given that between 1962 and 1970 he was widely regarded as the best midfielder in the world, ghosted past other midfielders of the time as if they were standing still, and had a shot with the force of a cannon from either foot, perhaps not so surprising. He scored some wonderfully spectacular goals and it was reported (probably with some exaggeration) that when he scored the screamer against Mexico in 66, Mexico came to a standstill. Still arguably the greatest England player of all time. 

• Like 2

Not on the list, but Brian Clough had a monster goals to games record. 

At Boro, 204 goals in 222 games and Sunderland 267 goals in 296 games. Unfortunately he never scored in his 2 England games.

As for the top goal scorer list, how many times did Lofthouse, Greaves and Lofhouse play San Marino? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1