IGNORED

An Evening With Gazza

frenchred

Used to have panini sticker albums at school when Gascoigne was with Newcastle.      A great player no doubt or maybe could have been, but isn't that the case with so many other names you could reel off.    I think being left out of the France 1998 squad by Hoddle was the real killer.      The real beginning of the end.    Trashed a hotel room like Begbie in Trainspotting when Paul received the news, it still reverberates to some extent even today.

Italia 90 will be his signature recognition .    Those of a certain age can only recall the true exploits of Gascoigne during that summer.       Would have lit up Sweden two years later if not for injury but even that was really self-inflicted.      Maybe it's a bit too late in the day to say it, but even so, I wish him well.   

• Like 2

I suspect we've all had mates like an (unfamous) Gazza. Biggest laugh on a night out. Loves to entertain others. The life & soul of a party. But behind all the laughs they have something missing from their lives, something from the past has made them a permanent class clown.

I had a friend like that. Probably drank nearly as much as Gazza. I could tell you a thousand stories about this guy. Drowned when pissed up in Spain in 2007. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Life is a cruel world,people die from cancer everyday while this clown gets sympathy from all and sundry because he played football 

No, as you say good people die from cancer, what’s not fair is that pedophiles, murderers and utter s**thouses don’t. Gazza had a lot to deal with as a child, and then the pressures of fame didn’t really help him either. 

• Flames 1

11 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

For natural talent he may have been but for actually producing it it wasn’t very often so there is a lot of sentimental foggy memories going on 

You obviously have no feelings for Gazza, so why spread your vitriol all over this topic. I understand you don't agree with the majority on here so why not just ignore the topic completely instead of trying to stir a reaction?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I had have a friend like that. Probably drank nearly as much as Gazza. I could tell you a thousand stories about this guy. Drowned when pissed up in Spain in 2007. 

My mate who was a huge drinker was told he had 6 months left to live if he continued to drink as he was, to my astonishment he stopped drinking & underwent a liver transplant. That was 5 years ago & he now won't even try a zero alcohol beer in case he gets the flavour again plus he says he owes it the family of the person who donated the liver.

The fact he had the willpower to stop & organ donations is what saved him. I'm proud to call him a mate & so glad he's around as an example to others. 

It can be done but you have to want to :thumbsup:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, frenchred said:

You obviously have no feelings for Gazza, so why spread your vitriol all over this topic. I understand you don't agree with the majority on here so why not just ignore the topic completely instead of trying to stir a reaction?

I don't know that he's trying to stir a reaction but JJT is such a relentlessly negative poster that he's one of only two that I have had to put upon ignore because he sours the forum.

I used to go to the BAWA lunches in the 1980's at the hotel in Broadmead ( the Mariott?) - there was one with Dennis Law and George Best. Dennis was very funny and had great stories but George didnt say anything because he was obviously quite ill through his alcoholism.

It was a bit weird as on the one hand, there was a living legend a few metres away but a shadow of the person he was. I met him briefly at the end and got him to sign a b&w photo of him from the late 60's.  I think the Gazza story is even sadder. 

I've still got the signed photo along with a signed one of Sir Stanley Mathews- two remarkable talents with two very contrasting fortunes.

• Like 3

I went to the opening night of this a while back as my mate is Vinny Jones cousin. Both men are still very engaging on a 121 basis, Vinny obviously being more of a mate now you forget what a huge Hollywood star he is, the guy is a gent and a great laugh, Gazza has his good and bad days with his demons. 

I thought the show was hilarious, if not a bit disjointed at times, although that could be down to be seated with a certain Mr Bellew, another nice guy.