IGNORED

Forest fans not happy about ST price rises

Lanterne Rouge

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh the general prices are par with many teams.

It's that very early 20s age bracket they are hitting right now though. Full price at Forest, £165 in the SS for our under-22s.

Maybe they're not that bothered. Look at our figures and you see 2,000 u19 tickets turns into just 600 u22 tickets. A 70% drop off if my maths is correct.

If they're fanbase mirrors ours then you can see some logic behind protecting u19 prices and hitting those at - frankly - university age.

Although we’re both University towns and you’d have thought that, at the right price, there’s a market there? No idea really! They must have their rationale.

I don’t know when they put their STs on sale this time last year. If it was about now maybe they didn’t expect to go up and priced them accordingly. Certainly, if the prices for next season represent a big % increase, as suggested, then they’ve been bloody cheap for the PL. Maybe they’re just looking to recoup some of that. 

21 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Although we’re both University towns and you’d have thought that, at the right price, there’s a market there? No idea really! They must have their rationale.

I don’t know when they put their STs on sale this time last year. If it was about now maybe they didn’t expect to go up and priced them accordingly. Certainly, if the prices for next season represent a big % increase, as suggested, then they’ve been bloody cheap for the PL. Maybe they’re just looking to recoup some of that. 

My entirely anecdotal and now depressingly out of date personal evidence is that for season tickets there isn't a market in local students that come to your club's city.

Single match day tickets yes. Me and other football fan mates at Exeter in 2008 would go to St James Park at least once a term. But we'd have never bought a season ticket, whatever the price. Firstly, we were/are City, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea etc fans and would have seen buying an Exeter season ticket as a bit wrong. Secondly, that would have been £100 less to spend on cider. Thirdly, we were busy most weekends anyway.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

My entirely anecdotal and now depressingly out of date personal evidence is that for season tickets there isn't a market in local students that come to your club's city.

Single match day tickets yes. Me and other football fan mates at Exeter in 2008 would go to St James Park at least once a term. But we'd have never bought a season ticket, whatever the price. Firstly, we were/are City, Villa, Man Utd, Chelsea etc fans and would have seen buying an Exeter season ticket as a bit wrong. Secondly, that would have been £100 less to spend on cider. Thirdly, we were busy most weekends anyway.

Makes sense…l did wonder that as I was writing! 

My own experience was a bit weird. I went off to Brighton anticipating lots else to do at weekends too. And resigned to giving up watching football for a while.

But the first two City home games I missed were 4-0 then 6-0 wins, in the season we got promoted to Div 1. So I quickly settled instead into a routine of travelling to City matches! And then, at the same time, Brighton decided to have one of their most successful times to date - Peter Ward scoring record numbers of goals, players like Mark Lawrenson, and successive promotions.

So I ended up watching more football than ever!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

They’d never had gone up, if they didn’t get a couple of 90+ minute late goals against some team or other!

That still hurts , that was us at our worst if I remember correctly , played them off the park at the gate but you just knew what was coming 

• Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

If Premier League football becomes a poison chalice (financially) for teams that go up, the media reports will need to be changed to 'promotion threatened' and 'relegation hopefuls'.

Problem with that is half the League don't have relegation clauses. Relegation for Everton, perhaps Leicester, West Ham actually do seem to have them, unsure about others but relegation for a host of clubs could be an FFP catastrophe at the very least.

That's fully the fault of the clubs in q for no or few relegation clauses and running up major losses on a regular basis.

The model has some serious issues.

Scrapping the 18-23 bracket is awful. Young people getting screwed over again by our society. All we hear about in the media is poor pensioners all the time, but these are student age people faced with little hope of buying a house, extortionate rent costs if they don’t, the cost of living crisis, lower salaries than people later in their careers and massive student debts if they’re coming out of university. They’re also the fans of the future who clubs should be encouraging.

If they scrapped OAP discount there’d be outrage. But it would be no more outrageous.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

We should do more to encourage student support in Bristol. Students often stay in the area and have the potential to become lifelong fans.

When I was a student in Swansea, I watched them every week for a fiver. They were terrible but it was great fun with my mates and they’ve been my second team ever since.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We should do more to encourage student support in Bristol. Students often stay in the area and have the potential to become lifelong fans.

When I was a student in Swansea, I watched them every week for a fiver. They were terrible but it was great fun with my mates and they’ve been my second team ever since.

It's hard to say tbh.

From anecdotal experience it is good fun...but lots arrive with their own teams already. Who studied in Bristol at a recent workplace of mine I knew Ipswich fan, Real Madrid fan, Aston Villa fan from one workplace alone. Probably many more besides...all still support their original team and bizarrely maybe it's a location of the city thing but one seems to have a preference for that other side in Bristol, maybe more do.

There would be loads more I'm sure, if I think back.

Fans with an interest in football but no firm team as such maybe they are easier to entice. It's a potential big untapped market on paper but I wonder about the reality.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 25/03/2023 at 14:39, redkev said:

It seems to me though all this extra money from the tv companies always seems to end up in the pockets of the players , if surely the amount of monies being quoted coming into football from these tv deals is the amount they say it is ( and I believe it is ) why can’t a percentage of it go some way to subsidising ticket sales or food & drink on the concourses .

All we get are constant increases , a lot of them the clubs seem to overlook , travel , food & drink , parking ,time off work to attend games ( away games evening games etc. 
The money players earn in the premiership is nothing short of a disgrace tbh , £350,000+ for top earners how the hell to you spend or need that . Even £100,000 a week is nothing short of scandalous apart from greed there is just no need for it .

I’ve always disagreed with this - if sky TV are prepared to pay 10m a game then the players who generate that money are entitled to their wages. My issue is clubs like ours paying 25k a week for players without the money being generated. How much is Flint, Bannan etc on in l1?