IGNORED

England v Ukraine

Mr Popodopolous

Surprised no thread yet.

Foden out, Maddison starts. 4-3-3 which is good.would like to see Toney start at some point, maybe vs Macedonia is one or if we're 2 or 3 up in this one give him a proper run.

Challenge on Kane seen them given but not stonewall.

Ukraine are no mugs though and I expect they will as they have been competent in possession and able to play on the break.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surprised no thread yet.

Foden out, Maddison starts. 4-3-3 which is good.would like to see Toney start at some point, maybe vs Macedonia is one or if we're 2 or 3 up in this one give him a proper run.

Challenge on Kane seen them given but not stonewall.

Rather see Maddison central rather than cutting in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When all fit I wonder could Foden play as part of a central 3 with say Bellingham and Rice or would this be entirely round holes and square pegs.

Maddison central- who drops out or is it a new shape?

Tweak, 4 2 3 1, can effectively be 4 4 1 1. Can do with players on the pitch now. Full backs push up on attacks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is like watching one of those Celeb games...dire, atmosphere and pedestrian football. 

England have a habit of playing to the level of their opponents. Today it seems that's the case. 

Against someone there is more expectation, we drop into that slow , plodding football. It's why I tend not to worry about watching. I have this on, but settling in to a slow paced game that may come alive if they tire . I usually have it on the laptop and keep one eye on it to save the boredom.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

This is like watching one of those Celeb games...dire, atmosphere and pedestrian football. 

England have a habit of playing to the level of their opponents. Today it seems that's the case. 

The problem now is that qualification is more or less a given, especially after beating Italy. Southgate won’t play this team in a million years at a tournament. 
Makes it boring 

Edited by Rob k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Against someone there is more expectation, we drop into that slow , plodding football. It's why I tend not to worry about watching. I have this on, but settling in to a slow paced game that may come alive if they tire . I usually have it on the laptop and keep one eye on it to save the boredom.

Yes...it's on in the back ground. Id fall asleep if I was glued to it. In saying that...the lovely Argentinian Malbec I have on the go will probably have the same affect ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Ukraine are a reasonable side tbh. Shouldn't be taken so lightly.

I expect us to win but should be a competitive game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Rob k said:

The problem now is that qualification is more or less a given, especially after beating Italy. Southgate won’t play this team in a million years at a tournament. 
Makes it boring 

I suppose a difference is that in a major tournament there are two different factors.

1) You might be playing one of the top 5-10 sides, some caution is inevitable.  Ukraine are okay but not of the level of say late 1990s to late 2000s.

2) Major tournament, different heat and humidity, a high tempo approach can bring its own issues.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ukraine are a reasonable side tbh. Shouldn't be taken so lightly.

I expect us to win but should be a competitive game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not running them down. But the more possession we are allowed, the slower we seem to play, which can make it a hard watch. Those little burst of tempo and we look decent. Plus , when we play slower we seem to allow decent chances .
At 2-0 Ukraine have a decision to make, if they do come out and try and get back into it, there could be gaps.

• Like 2