IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spent about that on the Kyiv lad in January & he’s rarely featured..

Pretty sure they spent circa £50m in total during the January window.

I don’t see him ending up there, still think he’s destined for Wolves myself but all guesswork at present.

Exactly that. Without a big money outgoing I don't see how they have enough cash remaining to spend on one player. Anything over £25m would be a club record fee for them.

Trying to work out what we realistically will it can get for Scott tbis summer is quite difficult.

Few on this forum mention Borussia Dortmund.

Alvarez, Ajax midfield- linked for €35m. 6 years older than Scott. About £30.1m. Is 25 and will turn 26 in October.

Nmecha, Wolfsburg also midfield- linked with both Borussia Dortmund and Man United. Is 22 and will turn 23 in October. Seen him suggested at £15m.

Alvarez also linked with West Ham. Palhinha £50-60m a key priority for West Ham- 27 and turns 28 in July. 8 years older than Scott.

Benchmarking with players is very difficult but does this give us any indicator?

Scott btw having just checked is ahead of all of them in terms of first team gametime at their respective ages.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Trying to work out what we realistically will it can get for Scott tbis summer is quite difficult.

Few on this forum mention Borussia Dortmund.

Alvarez, Ajax midfield- linked for €35m. 6 years older than Scott. About £30.1m. Is 25 and will turn 26 in October.

Nmecha, Wolfsburg also midfield- linked with both Borussia Dortmund and Man United. Is 22 and will turn 23 in October. Seen him suggested at £15m.

Alvarez also linked with West Ham. Palhinha £50-60m a key priority for West Ham- 27 and turns 28 in July. 8 years older than Scott.

Benchmarking with players is very difficult but does this give us any indicator?

Scott btw having just checked is ahead of all of them in terms of first team gametime at their respective ages.

We are not obliged to or need to sell Scott as he has 2 years left on his contract, let’s not push the lad out the door just yet. Another year in the Championship with us will not do him or us any harm and could enhance his reputation and value 

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

We are not obliged to or need to sell Scott as he has 2 years left on his contract, let’s not push the lad out the door just yet. Another year in the Championship with us will not do him or us any harm and could enhance his reputation and value 

True and yes for footballing reasons it would be excellent to keep him and have him develop for another year but it tends to be that when the final year of the deal entered the value can fall precipitously.

2 minutes ago, INCRED said:

It wouldn't harm us on the pitch but would in terms of fee we can expect next summer. Another way of looking at it would we be happy to spend £10m to have him here for one season?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True and yes for footballing reasons it would be excellent to keep him and have him develop for another year but it tends to be that when the final year of the deal entered the value can fall precipitously.

Prolonging his contract for a season *may* reduce his value, but, then again, it may not - it’s certainly one for conjecture.

Should AS stay on for another season and take us to the playoffs or even promotion, his value will surely increase to the extent the time remaining on his contract becomes somewhat academic as teams enter a bidding war.

This is certainly my hope, if not necessarily a prediction.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Prolonging his contract for a season *may* reduce his value, but, then again, it may not - it’s certainly one for conjecture.

Should AS stay on for another season and take us to the playoffs or even promotion, his value will surely increase to the extent the time remaining on his contract becomes somewhat academic as teams enter a bidding war.

This is certainly my hope, if not necessarily a prediction.

Foreign clubs can sign from 6 months form end of deal so this is also a factor- pre-contract, see Brereton-Diaz to Villarreal so it might not just be low balling but if say in 18 months time he was in the final 6 months, January 2024, he was really smashing it...and Borussia Dortmund or someone came in! Clubs in 12 months maybe eyeing up a Bosman addition a year from then or perhaps his agent a nice juicy commission.

Many ways it could go. Although we would get compensation if he left on a free as under 24.

….broken record from me.

If Alex Scott is still here next season it will alongside an extended deal to protect us (and probably him too in the shape of a release clause).

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although we would get compensation if he left on a free as under 24.

It’s 23 if he goes abroad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Foreign clubs can sign from 6 months form end of deal so this is also a factor- pre-contract, see Brereton-Diaz so it might not just be low balling but if say in 18 months time he was in the final 6 months, January 2024, he was really smashing it...and Borussia Dortmund or someone came in! Clubs in 12 months maybe eyeing up a Bosman addition a year from then or perhaps his agent a nice juicy commission.

Many ways it could go. Although we would get compensation if he left on a free as under 24.

Perhaps, but that still wouldn’t preclude a ‘bidding war’.

I have just seen @Davefevs’s response.

Yes, of course, a contract extension would certainly suit City and, to a certain extent, AS also.

I do wonder, though, what role his agent has, and whether he/she would be amenable to an extension.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

I can still see him going to Man City. Pep has seen the potential and apparently complimentary remarks from his players.

His age makes him perfect for Pep to mould. He won’t get much game time for a season or so, but it would be a great move for Alex,learning from the best will really enhance his game.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes, of course, a contract extension would certainly suit City and, to a certain extent, AS also.

I do wonder, though, what role his agent has, and whether he/she would be amenable to an extension.

Isn’t his dad his agent?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

I can still see him going to Man City. Pep has seen the potential and apparently complimentary remarks from his players.

His age makes him perfect for Pep to mould. He won’t get much game time for a season or so, but it would be a great move for Alex,learning from the best will really enhance his game.

I sort of agree with all of that, but wonder whether AS would be happy ‘not getting much game time for a season or two’.

Somehow, I just can’t see it, which brings me back to my desire to see him stay here for another season, at the end of which he may have to decide for which Premier League team he wishes to play.

Manchester City or the City that introduced him to the wider footballing world.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

25 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A bidding war this summer or at a push January 2024 is most likely. IMO. Next summer, Brereton-Diaz a good example Blackburn certainly priced him out of a move at that point. Different ages, different players I know.

Nor sure he will sign a contract extension however to add one year wirh a proviso that he can definitely go next summer might be a good compromise.

54 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Absolutely. Didn’t do Foden any harm.

Yes, you would have to be seriously high level player to make it in that team… on the other hand, de bruyne mahrez and gundogan arent spring chickens anymore, over the next few years they will be slowing down and moving on, so the next generation will have to be found!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

One or two on here think it’s out of the question. Personally I don’t. 

I guess we will see. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, you would have to be seriously high level player to make it in that team… on the other hand, de bruyne mahrez and gundogan arent spring chickens anymore, over the next few years they will be slowing down and moving on, so the next generation will have to be found!

Mahrez, Gundogun and Bernardo could all be on the move this summer, it would be a surprise if they were interested but wouldn't be out if this world

Was having a quick browse of the Wolves forum. One post, indeed thread suggested a £50m FFP hole??

If true they won't be signing Scott any time soon, that kind of Projected breach sounds like sell first then buy.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/filling-a-£50m-ffp-hole.718365/

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£25m mentioned again- weren't West Ham and Wolves also expressing reservations about this or reportedly anyway.

That aside, what size bids do we think we will get?

I’d been told in January West Ham considered themselves out of the race due to bigger clubs being interested. Whether that’s still the case I don’t know.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was having a quick browse of the Wolves forum. One post, indeed thread suggested a £50m FFP hole??

If true they won't be signing Scott any time soon, that kind of Projected breach sounds like sell first then buy.

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/filling-a-£50m-ffp-hole.718365/

They do need to sell, but Ruben Neves would probably cover that on his own.

Lopetegui said in his recent conversation with their board that he accepts the FFP situation is difficult so wants to sign “young, Championship players” fairly obvious who he has in mind.

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I’d been told in January West Ham considered themselves out of the race due to bigger clubs being interested. Whether that’s still the case I don’t know.

I'd say for West Ham it all depends on Declan Rice if he does go as many suspect I think they'll be in for him.

I do think Man City are keeping an eye on it but their hands are tied with the 115 charges. Spurs may step up their interest given they are not going to get Maddison (heading to Newcastle supposedly). Wolves can't afford it. Newcastle won't need him. I think there are definitely a few interes clubs we don't know about

57 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Yet they carried on scouting him right up until the end of the season. As far as I am aware they are the club that has shown the most interest during the season. It will be a club of West Ham's size or bigger I think. No way will it be a Bournemouth.

• Like 1

I know of at least one very interested club that hasn't been mentioned in the press as of yet. Whether or not a formal bid materialises remains to be seen but more clubs are putting feelers out there for him.

Gut feel with Scott is he stays this summer, I'm not sure people will be willing to pay what we want currently. I wouldn't be surprised if he stays for now but then there be a lot more interest in January. 

The January window is a weird one, but if he's playing well a club may gamble to get him before a 'bidding war' in the summer.

• Like 2

I've a feeling (more hope that anything) that he'll stay this season.

If it's true that he has 2  years left on his contract, that puts the club in a tricky position next summer if a) we don't get promotion, or b) a bidding war doesn't happen.

I hear there's a contract offer on the table at the moment, but I wonder if the contract says "we'll up your wages for the next 2 years, but only if you commit to stay for one further year afterwards."

Basically, a 3 years contract from this exact time might benefit both parties.

Overall, I think it depends on how stung AS felt after being released by Southampton and Bournemouth, compared with knowing what he has here, compared with potentially sitting in the reserves or being loaned out at a massive club.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed. That is part of my thought process. If Pep sees Alex as potentially part of that next generation it would be a great move for him.