IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

14 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Yeah for sure, he wouldn’t be the first player to have struggled for game time in his first season at Man City to go on to make a significant contribution in his second.
However, If that wasn’t to materialise, he’s find himself at risk of not making the England squad next summer. 

While Southgate is in charge, his place is in no danger,

12 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Harry Maguire plays in a position where we haven’t been well stocked with quality or quantity.
Another season of not playing and I think Levi Colwill will have taken his place. 

Disagree especially over the last year or so. Tomori, Stones, Guehi, Smalling, Dunk, Burn(playing LB) and Mings all have been playing more often and arguably better than HM has over the same period. 

38 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

While Southgate is in charge, his place is in no danger,

At the World Cup his preference was for Rice, Henderson and Bellingham. He didn't use a double pivot.

With Bellingham injured recently he played Alexander-Arnold not Phillips. And with Maddison and Eze now in the squad Phillips is going to need to be getting games as there's lots of competition.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree especially over the last year or so. Tomori, Stones, Guehi, Smalling, Dunk, Burn(playing LB) and Mings all have been playing more often and arguably better than HM has over the same period. 

Don’t think any of them aside from Stones have done well enough to oust Maguire, he’s in possession of the shirt and has always been good playing for England. 

I get picking players on form etc etc but I think centre back is high up in the positions that you need more tried and trusted players. Same as goalkeeper, which is why Pickford is firmly the no 1. 

Edited by Betty Swallocks
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Don’t think any of them aside from Stones have done well enough to oust Maguire, he’s in possession of the shirt and has always been good playing for England. 

I get picking players on form etc etc but I think centre back is high up in the positions that you need more tried and trusted players. Same as goalkeeper, which is why Pickford is firmly the no 1. 

Mings has improved under Emery, he was too gung ho before, otherwise I tend to agree.

Colwill looks the best prospect to me but will be get enough game time at Chelsea?

9 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I think this is Southgate making England like a club side….Maguire in possession of the shirt, hasn’t done anything to lose it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Mings has improved under Emery, he was too gung ho before, otherwise I tend to agree.

Colwill looks the best prospect to me but will be get enough game time at Chelsea?

I hope he does, he looks like a really good prospect. Two strong seasons out on loan, hopefully he nails a position for Chelsea in the season coming up.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is Southgate making England like a club side….Maguire in possession of the shirt, hasn’t done anything to lose it.

Definitely. I think he made a rod for his own back when he previously said about picking players on form. 

International games are so far apart that you could have 5/6 defensive partnerships a year if you went on form alone, which doesn’t seem like a great foundation for success.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Which I think is fine for a time. Why I don’t complain about Pickford because he is playing week in and week out. Not sure it sends a great message to the younger players trying to break through to the squad that no matter how well you do Maguire is still in.

Idk my opinion anyway. I agree about more tried and trusted but many of the ones I have named are plenty tried and trusted for their clubs. Running the risk of missing out on better just because he come in at the right time. England hasn’t won anything and come up short a few times now in recent years. So I don’t see how you can just say ok we won’t look to upgrade when there are options. 

4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For what it's worth, Southgate did say during the recent international period that the Maguire situation isn't ideal and can't go on indefinitely. And I suspect the player is well aware of that too, he'll move if United can get a replacement.

And still it goes on!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1