IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Daily Mail says Inter are set to make an £18m bid. If so.

porcammerda-reclamo-gomblotto.gif

Too low of course.

To be honest, at that price(says £18m I know euros has been out there too) you have to start the discussion with Alex himself I think. I always looked at the 25m as the max. 20-25m and I don’t think we withhold the move from him. That would have to be guaranteed 20-25m though. Then some add ons and sell on. 

It isn’t an easy line to toe. Being ambitious and keeping our best but also providing a platform for players to move on. At 18m quid it becomes a negotiation imo not just a flat out rejection. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

To be honest, at that price(says £18m I know euros has been out there too) you have to start the discussion with Alex himself I think. I always looked at the 25m as the max. 20-25m and I don’t think we withhold the move from him. That would have to be guaranteed 20-25m though. Then some add ons and sell on. 

It isn’t an easy line to toe. Being ambitious and keeping our best but also providing a platform for players to move on. At 18m quid it becomes a negotiation imo not just a flat out rejection. 

18 million fine 

50% sell on clause too then 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes,,, im sure something would be worked out… if he is keen to make that move,,, wow, what an opportunity that is, if we turn it down i cant see he will be particularly happy?! As well as declining him the opportunity of being a millionaire over night?!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,,, im sure something would be worked out… if he is keen to make that move,,, wow, what an opportunity that is, if we turn it down i cant see he will be particularly happy?! As well as declining him the opportunity of being a millionaire over night?!

That is the other side of the coin of course, rejection of said opportunity for him by us if a bid is made...yeah he may not be too happy as you say.

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Steve indicated that £25m was the minimum, more if multiple clubs bid for him. I doubt we will reduce the price by £7m.

Think it is easy to say until you get that 20m bid. It isn’t a money thing for me either. We know SL can afford it. It is looking at how that sets us up for the next 3-4 seasons with that money. 25m is a good number to quote imo and don’t think it should go below 20m. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Any  move he makes is going to make him a millionaire. 

Antonie reportedly on 50k per week at Muff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well it would be a rejection as the club have made it clear what the starting point is. 

if a club comes in with a bid of say £22m, potentially it becomes a negotiation…up front fee with add-ins to take it to minimum £25m+

Alex committed to the club on a long contract and we gave him the platform and developed him into a position where some top uk and European clubs are interested in him….let’s not roll over and have our tummy tickled, we get what we want and he leaves with all our blessing

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That is the other side of the coin of course, rejection of said opportunity for him by us if a bid is made...yeah he may not be too happy as you say.

Yes,, rejecting a bid from bournemouth is one thing, but inter are one of the worlds great clubs,, that is dream land for a young footballer!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think it is easy to say until you get that 20m bid. It isn’t a money thing for me either. We know SL can afford it. It is looking at how that sets us up for the next 3-4 seasons with that money. 25m is a good number to quote imo and don’t think it should go below 20m. 

I soooooo agree.

1. are City gonna communicate what they might actually accept?  No they gonna position on the high side aren’t they
  2. are Inter gonna go in with what City say is their minimum right off the bat?  No, they’re gonna go in low.

People seem to forget the simple process of a negotiation and / or value when it comes to football.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well it would be a rejection as the club have made it clear what the starting point is. 

if a club comes in with a bid of say £22m, potentially it becomes a negotiation…up front fee with add-ins to take it to minimum £25m+

Alex committed to the club on a long contract and we gave him the platform and developed him into a position where some top uk and European clubs are interested in him….let’s not roll over and have our tummy tickled, we get what we want and he leaves with all our blessing

I don’t think budging on 25m is rolling over. It is being realistic for the health of our club and the career of Alex Scott. Lets be clear, he stays and gets a nasty injury, it hurts both us and the player.  

20m quid is with a quick look a top 5 fee paid for someone with no premier league experience from championship to higher league. 4 of those were attacking players with goals and assists to their name and a CB named Webster. All pre covid sting I believe as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I soooooo agree.

1. are City gonna communicate what they might actually accept?  No they gonna position on the high side aren’t they
  2. are Inter gonna go in with what City say is their minimum right off the bat?  No, they’re gonna go in low.

People seem to forget the simple process of a negotiation and / or value when it comes to football.

This is true. There’s lots of talk of bidding wars going on which I don’t think is ever really the case.

What having multiple clubs does do is increase the chances of getting as close to your position or at least accepting a bid that is on more favourable terms (add-on’s, sell on clauses etc)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I soooooo agree.

They do. 

The issue with any bid of 18 is that it will get out usually via his agent or some combination of sources meaning other clubs will have a decision to make on bidding. 

I hope the bid comes in and it’s confirmed by a reputable source. This thread will be 100 pages over night and we will see who is “to coin a phrase” Really Really interested!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

20m quid is with a quick look a top 5 fee paid for someone with no premier league experience from championship to higher league. 4 of those were attacking players with goals and assists to their name and a CB named Webster. All pre covid sting I believe as well. 

Agree with much of what you've posted on this today. Think plenty of people are getting a tad carried away and the point you make, above, adds valuable context and perspective.

And that's not, in any way, by the way, to under estimate how good Scott is - and may go on to be. Those arguing that a fee north of 25M might be optimistic can see perfectly well how good the kid is, thank you very much.

He'd be in a best XI from my 40+ years of purgatory supporting City, that's for sure. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

30 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes,, rejecting a bid from bournemouth is one thing, but inter are one of the worlds great clubs,, that is dream land for a young footballer!!

On the face of it yes but it is a double edged sword.

Different language and culture and style of football. I would jump at it but , apart from the fact I am old and I can’t play! 

Joking aside, it’s a big move for a youngster, I think Bellingham’s  mum / dad took turns to live in Germany, and possibly Spain, with their son. Wise move but that is not always possible.

Posted just now

I don't think Alex will have any qualms about moving abroad if he feels his career will benefit by it.
He's such a level headed guy with a common sense which belies his years.
I remember Le Tiss once said in an interview that the channel islanders view the continent differently to most main landers and they see themselves more continental in a british way! (Contradictory but I get what he means!)

I've long advocated Dortmund for him and I suggested this a few years ago not only because I lived there and it's a great club but because of how they've developed young talent. They seem to instil a mentality into them which benefits their all round game. Whether Italy is a go-er remains to be seen but a continental move I think is great for young players. Broaden your horizon's and all that.
As for fees etc, we'll get what someone's prepared to pay whether it's £25m, £15m or £30m. At the end of the day it's down to our resolve, what we judge to be fair to us and Alex and whether the structure of the deal benefits the club.

• Like 1

Thinks it’s just a wait and see game.

These articles saying teams are interested are all well and good, but I’d expect any prem team with a semi competent scouting department to be interested in Scott.

Depends on what the managers looking for, and what the clubs have at their disposal. Waiting till an actual bid comes in and we’ll see if he’s worth the valuation we have put on him.

Playing "hard ball" for a moment, I don't see that refusing an offer below that which we want is dodgy. So AS may get a bit moody, well tough, he's under contract.............if he spends the time sulking it will only affect him in the long run, he doesn't play well, then no bugger will buy him !    BTW, I'm not suggesting he would jettison his playthings from the perambulator, he seems a decent kid, but ,just saying ,like .

1 hour ago, Philly The Kid said:

Posted just now

I don't think Alex will have any qualms about moving abroad if he feels his career will benefit by it.
He's such a level headed guy with a common sense which belies his years.
I remember Le Tiss once said in an interview that the channel islanders view the continent differently to most main landers and they see themselves more continental in a british way! (Contradictory but I get what he means!)

I've long advocated Dortmund for him and I suggested this a few years ago not only because I lived there and it's a great club but because of how they've developed young talent. They seem to instil a mentality into them which benefits their all round game. Whether Italy is a go-er remains to be seen but a continental move I think is great for young players. Broaden your horizon's and all that.
As for fees etc, we'll get what someone's prepared to pay whether it's £25m, £15m or £30m. At the end of the day it's down to our resolve, what we judge to be fair to us and Alex and whether the structure of the deal benefits the club.

I so agree with this and too have advocated Dortmund as a great fit. But if he, goes any agreed fee will be to the benefit of all parties. The art of negotiation and acceptance is that everyone is satisfied with the deal. Alex will want to play at the highest level he can but I've seen no signs from him that he is desperate to do so now. He is a level headed lad who is not going to have a hissy fit or sulk if we turn down a bid. The scenario will play out in the next few weeks but don't rule out him staying for 2023/24 yet.  

• Like 1