IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, wtf said:

Sale rebuild, sale rebuild, sale rebuild, its a plan if it gets us somewhere but...... we are still where we were 50/60yrs ago in the 2nd tier. Scott one of the best prospects in this div be nice to hang on to him for a change having already cashed in on AS.:dunno:

There has to be a period where we hold onto our sellable assets however difficult that maybe or we will continually be chasing the pack , I really think this year with possibly 1 or 2 more decent additions holding onto Alex and the continued development of our younger players this might be our best chance , get the feeling Conway / Pring could be sought after in January or next season 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No, we are looking for a midfielder regardless.of Scott staying or going, and if kalas goes then expect another defender

Yes but looking & getting are 2 different things , I agree though 2 more in those positions regardless of Scott going or staying would be ideal , hopefully not clubs in the bag though but actual first team ready 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

In other related news ….. The Daily Mail report that West Ham have now made an approach to sign Adams from Leeds United. It’s stated that moves have been made for a couple of other midfielders in Denis Zakaria of Juventus and Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse.

West Ham United are looking to add more creativity and goals to their side and they have identified Harvey Barnes as a target.

A report from 90 Min claims that West Ham are currently in talks with Leicester City in order to sign the 25-year-old midfielder and they are currently advancing in negotiations with the Foxes

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

No, we are looking for a midfielder regardless.of Scott staying or going, and if kalas goes then expect another defender

I estimate another £2-3m available in adding to cost base if Scott doesn't go.

We still have potential unknown gains ie if Wilson is sold and the Massengo compensation as and when it materialises.

On 30/06/2023 at 14:30, Grey Fox said:

Don’t worry Friend, I already have. 
Every bright young star ? will be sold at the first opportunity, the money ? will then be spent on a load of mediocrity , and in 57 years time we will still be in the second tier, with no doubt the occasional visit to the third in between. Mind you, our accounts will be in order, so that’s something.

How much do you think we will get for Conway next year, or should we sell him as a BOGOFF deal with Bell?

You keep stating you been a fan for 57 years but you seemed to have learned nothing about football in those 57 years!

All teams sell their best players to bigger clubs for money! Even Manchester United had to sell Cristiano Ronaldo, Dortmund had to sell Jude Bellingham! It’s football!

• Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Porto Red said:

I really wish you hadn't said that.

Can't un-see it now? :) haha

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Newcastle it is then!

hadn't thought of that, seems Jimmy Nailed-on now 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, wtf said:

Sale rebuild, sale rebuild, sale rebuild, its a plan if it gets us somewhere but...... we are still where we were 50/60yrs ago in the 2nd tier. Scott one of the best prospects in this div be nice to hang on to him for a change having already cashed in on AS.:dunno:

I agree, it's ok saying sell and use the money to rebuild, history shows that in the past that's not something we have ever really gotten right, as a supporter of over 55 years standing groundhog day is beginning to grow a little tiresome, and like you I would like the club to hold their nerve, yes I know it will be hard to resist the offers and the player can feel they are being held back, but at 19 is 6 months if we are not looking likely to advance really that long?

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Scott one of the best prospects in this div be nice to hang on to him for a change having already cashed in on AS.:dunno:

That’s what Nige / Phil / Tins are trying to do.

Semenyo was for all intents and purpose the sacrifice to allow us to try to proactively recruit early this summer to show Scott our ambition.

But the reality is that £25m+ (or whatever) is a lot of money to turn down, assuming player happy enough to stay.

I do think that if Alex said he’s happy to give it one more year (with maybe an escape plan if we were doing crap in January) we’d turn down all offers.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

You keep stating you been a fan for 57 years but you seemed to have learned nothing about football in those 57 years!

All teams sell their best players to bigger clubs for money! Even Manchester United had to sell Cristiano Ronaldo, Dortmund had to sell Jude Bellingham! It’s football!

Man Utd were in the 2nd tier when we were, they have advanced.....slightly, we are still here.

Players sold even by us to Fulham/Brighton/Bournemouth etc are judged by them to be the best available for the money at that time. So how can we buy better players for the same money to replace them?

We have a good youth policy and Tins is working wonders but at some stage we are going to have to start keeping these stars for our future not other clubs. Scott being the latest, are we going to get a better prospect for whatever we get for him? West Ham/Wolves/Spurs dont seem to think so.

Selling is fine but you need to improve the squad with replacements, Our current position in the 2nd tier says we have not done so.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I agree, it's ok saying sell and use the money to rebuild, history shows that in the past that's not something we have ever really gotten right, as a supporter of over 55 years standing groundhog day is beginning to grow a little tiresome, and like you I would like the club to hold their nerve, yes I know it will be hard to resist the offers and the player can feel they are being held back, but at 19 is 6 months if we are not looking likely to advance really that long?

All Clubs, aside from the top four Premier League are ‘selling Clubs’. Our massive failure has been not to reinvest the money wisely in player recruitment, whether that be quality and/or timing.

We will continue to fail until such time we have a proper, fit-for-purpose scouting network imo. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

43 minutes ago, wtf said:

Man Utd were in the 2nd tier when we were, they have advanced.....slightly, we are still here.

Players sold even by us to Fulham/Brighton/Bournemouth etc are judged by them to be the best available for the money at that time. So how can we buy better players for the same money to replace them?

We have a good youth policy and Tins is working wonders but at some stage we are going to have to start keeping these stars for our future not other clubs. Scott being the latest, are we going to get a better prospect for whatever we get for him? West Ham/Wolves/Spurs dont seem to think so.

Selling is fine but you need to improve the squad with replacements, Our current position in the 2nd tier says we have not done so.

We can't keep players against the players will, why do people not get this?

There also are only about 5 clubs in the world that aren't forced to sell players to clubs high up the food chain, Bristol city are not one-off these elete club, why do people not get this ether?

Jesus 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We can't keep players against the players will, why do people not get this?

There also are only about 5 clubs in the world that aren't forced to sell players to clubs high up the food chain, Bristol city are not one-off these elete club, why do people not get this ether?

Jesus 

You mean we are not, "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"? :shocking:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

One of Scott's many attributes is his level headed maturity. I would also add at this point the managerial experience of Pearson and the clever Phil Alexander in the background.  There will be a lot more speculation until the end of the window. Its interesting that Pearson has publicly stated that we don't need to sell him which will not have gone un noticed by potential suitors. A marked contrast to the touts at Peterborough who pimp out anybody half decent on the open market 

Due to Twitter dying a death, the first we are actually going to hear about anything now is the official site when something is done. We can’t even read of any rumours as we can’t even refresh our Twitter feeds. Mine is completely blank. Not sure how I’m supposed to keep up to date with regular news of the things I’m interested in. Guess we should all go back to the days of Ceefax

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

You mean we are not, "by far the greatest team the world has ever seen"? :shocking:

This has come as quite the shock.

I may need some time to come to terms with this ... I hope everyone can respect my privacy during this difficult time

?

• Haha 13
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not an easy one to describe, but we are basically looking for either or both of two things:

• a perfect storm of a season where the developing players peak together with the other key players and we achieve play-offs, hopefully going up.  A bit like Barnsley in 20/21 (but without the relegation the following season).
  • gradually improve the squad through smart recruitment and academy pathway.

Our budget position means we cannot buy our way to success.

The modern game from a financial position means we are a selling club, full-stop.  What we need to do is try to position ourselves into a financial position where we control (as much as possible) when we sell / who we sell.  That goes out the window if a) a huge bid is received or b) player starts angling for a move.

So whether you’ve watched the club for 50+ years or just 45 years in my case, or less, if you haven’t got your head around the modern world of football, then this post isn’t for you.  If Alex wants to go, he goes, simple as.

ideally we are trying to do an Alan Dicks, but instead of 8-10 years to get to the desired destination, you’re trying to do that in 2-3 seasons of gradual momentum.

And in today’s world it depends on your starting point.  With a high cost base like us, it’s incredibly difficult.  Clubs like Luton are so more efficient than us, it’s actually easier to add good players (plenty of FFP headroom) without losing their own.  Their style of play makes them less susceptible to poaching from snobby football people, because of the doubts that player x will fit in.  Coventry another example, but so dependent on Gyokeres and Hamer and loans.  Gyokeres off to Sporting Lisbon, their loans gone back, a huge test of their recruitment coming up.  Their style of attacking is unique, finding another Gyokeres won’t be easy.  We need to cut our costs…elsewhere, the football side (Nige, Richard, etc) have done their bit, the rest of the “club” needs to do its bit too.

If Alex goes (I expect him to) then it’s about recruiting well, bringing in players that improve us overall as a collective.  It allows us to forget about FFP for 2-3 years if we use the money wisely.  That is a big advantage in the Championship beyond the PP clubs.  It’s fair to say we wasted Kelly and Webster money (and the ones before that).  But if you take Webster as the example, lose Flint, sign Webster…that’s what we need to repeat more regularly.  It is possible to sell, recruit for less money, and be better.  We have just been bad at it.  I think that has changed.

This could be the perfect storm season.

The big guys recruited.

The next phase of Conway, Bell, Mehmeti, etc.

The depth in midfield (assumes signing another regardless of Scott).

A perfect storm season built by sticking to a plan of improving the squad through smart(er) recruitment and academy pathway.

You make it sound so easy :laugh:.