IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

AS has little reason to sign a new deal. Yes financially he could get a bit more from us but it also means we can again put a valuation on him so teams are less keen. If he were to sign a deal, imo, it would have to contain a fairly low release clause(10-12m) after this season. 

Also, he wouldn’t leave for free. We would be due compensation. Idk what it would be if he went abroad but if he moved to the prem, after two more seasons of football mind you, we would get a hefty fee from compensation. 25m is a nice sounding number but we won’t be using it imo. It’ll give us the room to maybe sign more of our top targets. They will however be in the same bracket as McRorie and Knight. Maybe up to 5m on an attacker in the future. We won’t be selling AS and going after 8m cbs on 25k a week again. We’ll add smart fees and clever frees. So the compensation of 5m or more will suffice and we also get the two years of play in that unlikely scenario. 

City gave him his chance, no one really knows what he'll do / what City will do, but I don't think he'll stitch City up and run his contract down. Also, if we do end up only getting 5m, and don't get into playoff territory with him here for 2 years, that'll be poor business...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

City gave him his chance, no one really knows what he'll do / what City will do, but I don't think he'll stitch City up and run his contract down. Also, if we do end up only getting 5m, and don't get into playoff territory with him here for 2 years, that'll be poor business...

I don’t think he’ll stitch City up but he will look after his best interests going forward. This seasons it seems he feels better served playing. Next season he may feel he has done everything he can in the championship. Signing a new deal means City can over value him again meaning possibly no move. 

As far as the 5m or 25m, I just don’t think there is a major difference here. We will comply with FFP regardless of sales now imo. Sell Scott for 25m today or get 5m for him in 2 seasons. If we are in the championship our targets will be the same in 2025 in either scenario. 

I am starting to look at it this way. Instead of selling players for 25m or whatever with years left, think we are comfortable getting the value on the pitch. I think highly unlikely Scott leaves in 2 years. Most likely is we will get another season of him and sell him for 10-15m range next summer. We aren’t enamoured with fees. We want good players not good money

23 minutes ago, roddy-d said:

I think you have that bit wrong as City & Scott could agree to a buy out clause in the contract. 

Yes what I am saying. Just that the buy out would have to be low for it to make sense to AS. Not low like 5m but more like 12-15m. My opinion on it. If he signed with a high number or no buy out it lessens his chances at a move 

14 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

You can if there is a contract in place but I think in Kane’s case, which is very different to Scott, this could be a negotiation move. He has one year left, if he really wants to go then he could force a move through, I think it’s all part of a ploy to maximize what Spurs offer him regarding a new deal. If he decides to stay, and I suspect he will, he is after the goals record and not trophies. I think he might regret that in later years.

In Alex’s case he is a very young lad at the start of his career.As things stand he will possibly have to make a decision whether to move on this summer or wait 12 months. He is most certainly not running out of time for money or trophies for a while.

I would imagine he and his advisors will be looking at what is best for his development rather than either of the above.

I think he's probably conflicted, happy at Spurs but well aware that if he wins nothing it will be a huge stain on an otherwise successful career. If he hadn't tried to force a move last summer (or the summer before?) as well I would completely agree.

It wasn't a direct comparison to Alex as like you say they're in very different situations. Just a note that if a club has the player's contract on their side, as we do, they hold all the cards and a player isn't moving if the club don't want them to. To be honest I want Alex to go as 25 million would be more beneficial to us than keeping him for a year.

5 hours ago, KegCity said:

I think he's probably conflicted, happy at Spurs but well aware that if he wins nothing it will be a huge stain on an otherwise successful career. If he hadn't tried to force a move last summer (or the summer before?) as well I would completely agree.

It wasn't a direct comparison to Alex as like you say they're in very different situations. Just a note that if a club has the player's contract on their side, as we do, they hold all the cards and a player isn't moving if the club don't want them to. To be honest I want Alex to go as 25 million would be more beneficial to us than keeping him for a year.

It's all if and ands though isn't it. If we sell him for £25M it's a decent price. If he stays and drives us towards a win in the play off final what's that worth, £100M.

It could be a good move all round.

1. He wants to play. I’m pretty sure he can force his way into their midfield.

2. When he shows how good he is at that level he will have suitors higher up the food chain. A move at approx £50m will give us another £5m assuming a 20% sell on.

3. Relatively close to home.

I say that with the caveat that I would love to see him play in our team next season. I think we’re going to surprise a few people.

• Like 3

Bournemouth would be a decent move for him with regards to us getting a decent sell on if he proves he can (as we all think he will) prove that he can play at that level. 

He either does really well and a big club come in for him, or goes a bit higher up from there - maybe a Villa/West Ham, and then on again for even bigger money afterwards. 

Personally if he does go this summer, we need someone like Bournemouth to bid, which will then hopefully kick someone else into putting a bid in, and then the price just keeps going up. Like many others, I'm kind of resigned to losing him before the window "slams shut", but if not we really need to kick on, otherwise he'll be gone in January - and that will prove a harder job to replace him then with the inflated winter prices!

11 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's all if and ands though isn't it. If we sell him for £25M it's a decent price. If he stays and drives us towards a win in the play off final what's that worth, £100M.

Exactly, and what message does keeping him give to any other potential signing?

we do not need to sell this year, reassess next year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Bournemouth would be a decent move for him with regards to us getting a decent sell on if he proves he can (as we all think he will) prove that he can play at that level. 

He either does really well and a big club come in for him, or goes a bit higher up from there - maybe a Villa/West Ham, and then on again for even bigger money afterwards. 

Personally if he does go this summer, we need someone like Bournemouth to bid, which will then hopefully kick someone else into putting a bid in, and then the price just keeps going up. Like many others, I'm kind of resigned to losing him before the window "slams shut", but if not we really need to kick on, otherwise he'll be gone in January - and that will prove a harder job to replace him then with the inflated winter prices!

Why does h have to go now or In January, next summer is still ok for those desperate to sell the family silver. Help us go up and you might find we are rather bigger than the mighty Bournemouth ?

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I admire your optimism. That money would let us challenge for a longer period (aka multiple seasons) rather than just this one. 

7 hours ago, BCFCAL said:

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think he’ll stitch City up but he will look after his best interests going forward. This seasons it seems he feels better served playing. Next season he may feel he has done everything he can in the championship. Signing a new deal means City can over value him again meaning possibly no move. 

As far as the 5m or 25m, I just don’t think there is a major difference here. We will comply with FFP regardless of sales now imo. Sell Scott for 25m today or get 5m for him in 2 seasons. If we are in the championship our targets will be the same in 2025 in either scenario. 

I am starting to look at it this way. Instead of selling players for 25m or whatever with years left, think we are comfortable getting the value on the pitch. I think highly unlikely Scott leaves in 2 years. Most likely is we will get another season of him and sell him for 10-15m range next summer. We aren’t enamoured with fees. We want good players not good money

Over the next season he will be stronger, more mature and experienced, with a stronger team around him that will hopefully be challenging at the right end of the table.

That being the case, then if his performance improves, notwithstanding his contract situation surely today's £25m will look like a bargain.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I admire your optimism. That money would let us challenge for a longer period (aka multiple seasons) rather than just this one. 

If course it's optimistic, and admittedly unlikely, but we really don't have to sell this year and with the signings we're making I'd like to see us give it a go. Too many people are too keen to see us sell off our best assets for more signings with no more guarantee of success than if we keep him. As for Bournemouth it will be a major shock if Iraola keels them in the PL with or without Scott. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

I previously said I’d be quite relaxed either way. However with Knight coming in we have the potential for a very good midfield. Love him to stay. 

Agreed, with knight most likely joining and the other deals we have already made the squad looks so much better already.

When benarous and Atkinson return from injury we can almost field two elevens that both look like a decent championship side. Put them all in one squad with a good start and hopefully not as many injuries as this season and who knows what could happen. 

Hope he stays to help our push for playoffs but with the amount of interest I’d be surprised. Bournemouth would be the best move money wise imo but I think Brighton would be perfect for his development. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Exactly, and what message does keeping him give to any other potential signing?

we do not need to sell this year, reassess next year 

For the millionth time, this window and potentially January are the windows to achieve maximum value. We do not need to sell, but at 25 million, we want to sell.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Please not ******* Bournemouth.

I find them a pitiful outfit but their money is the same as anyone else’s & so if they offer the asking price then he’s off.

Mad to think though that they could have given us circa £50m for 3 players (Kelly, Semenyo & Scott) if it happened.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I find them a pitiful outfit but their money is the same as anyone else’s & so if they offer the asking price then he’s off.

Mad to think though that they could have given us circa £50m for 3 players (Kelly, Semenyo & Scott) if it happened.

If they offer the asking price the boy has a choice to make that’s for sure!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What we have to hope for is them coming at 25 million stirs up a bidding war.

Not really.

If Spurs for example (or a number of EPL clubs) come in at the same price, where's he gonna go ?

• Like 1