IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The thing is it’s not an auction (with a reserve price ?).

Hence bidding wars rarely happen.  It’s a bit of a fallacy in football.

City will speak to interested clubs, they’ll say we want <insert terms>.  If two clubs meet those terms, they don’t then try to bid against each other…it’s then a case of trying to win over Alex…they’ve already won City over.  They will put their attentions and £££s in the offer to Alex not giving us more money!!

If however neither side meets our terms, then we might play one off against the other trying to get nearer to our asking terms.  We might just say “goodbye”.

What I'm getting at Dave is both Spurs and Bournemouth can meet the 25 million. 

Bournemouth then feeling like they'll lose out to Spurs then may offer us more than Spurs, so therefore we'd reject Spurs offer and accept theirs, as its higher. So Bournemouth making that slightly higher bid could knock Spurs out of the running cos of course we're going to accept the higher offer. 

We can even provisionally agree 25 million with Spurs and then withdraw that agreement if someone comes in with a higher offer at the last minute. 

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bournemouth then feeling like they'll lose out to Spurs then may offer us more than Spurs, so therefore we'd reject Spurs offer and accept theirs, as its higher. So Bournemouth making that slightly higher bid could knock Spurs out of the running cos of course we're going to accept the higher offer. 

We can even provisionally agree 25 million with Spurs and then withdraw that agreement if someone comes in with a higher offer at the last minute. 

The player would know exactly what was on offer and what his preference is, and thats where he would end up!

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We wouldn’t reject Spurs offer though in all likelihood, that’s the point….if that’s the amount we said we wanted.

I can’t remember which player / club it was recently where exactly that happened, another club tried to gazump, but the selling club were principled enough to not then reject the initial club’s offer.

Of course it does happen…exactly as you say…but it’s not generally the way.  Football can be mercenary.  But just imagine doing what you suggest in your scenario and the player really wanted to go to Spurs?

I do remember the club (I was building dramatic effect! ???)….Ipswich Town….last summer….a certain Mark Ashton no less.  Tried to gazump a deal late in the day.  The great negotiator went bigger on fee and on wages.  Club sold player to the other team on principle! 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The player would know exactly what was on offer and what his preference is, and thats where he would end up!

Of course the player will have a big say and I'd imagine it to be a very fluid situation.

As Alex is quite mature, he would absolutely understand why we'd accept a higher offer from a smaller club. Our CEO has often spoken about how we have to make every pound count so if Bournemouth offered more than Spurs then we're understandably going to accept that. 

The only way Bournemouth get him over West Ham and Spurs ie because of game time and more money for us. Otherwise they can't compete with those two.

25 minutes ago, tin said:

I’m not sure he’d jump at the chance to play for a club that messed him about four or five years ago and will likely be facing relegation next year. If he stays, there’s more chance of playing PL with us in 2024/25 than bloody Bournemouth IMO. 

I’m not convinced he wants to go for anyone but a big club. No one has convinced me that a big name won’t come in before the transfer window shuts, particularly if he’s playing well. Scott is certainly settled with his side kick ConwAy, so who knows. 

However the eye watering amounts of wedge that are going to be thrown at him could become factor. 

Edited by REDOXO

36 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Forget Bournemouth, prefer Weymouth myself.

If it was me I'd prefer Avonmouth to Bournemouth.

As previously mentioned only got where they are thanks to the backing of a dodgy Russian oligarch. 

**** 'em...

36 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Edited by BS3City
Double post.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course the player will have a big say and I'd imagine it to be a very fluid situation.

As Alex is quite mature, he would absolutely understand why we'd accept a higher offer from a smaller club. Our CEO has often spoken about how we have to make every pound count so if Bournemouth offered more than Spurs then we're understandably going to accept that. 

The only way Bournemouth get him over West Ham and Spurs ie because of game time and more money for us. Otherwise they can't compete with those two.

But then Scott rejects the contract offer from Bournemouth knowing that Tottenham were in for him and says he wants to sign for Tottenham (knowing they will be able to pay him more), we are then in the position that Bournemouth back out and only Tottenham are left so they decide to lower there offer by £5m.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pezo said:

But then Scott rejects the contract offer from Bournemouth knowing that Tottenham were in for him and says he wants to sign for Tottenham (knowing they will be able to pay him more), we are then in the position that Bournemouth back out and only Tottenham are left so they decide to lower there offer by £5m.

We are in a good position where we have Phil Alexander who will be extremely experienced in multi million pound deals so I'm confident we will achieve the best possible price for Scott from whoever. The best thing for us is that we get multiple clubs coming in for him which will likely push the price up further. 

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Such a risk for him going there. Genuinely think it would be an awful move. It’s incredibly hard for any player to stand out in a Bournemouth team. They will more than likely go down so he’s back at championship level after what will be a rough season in the prem so doubt he’ll get a move away to stay at the top. Genuinely think it’s better he stays here for another 12 months and see what happens after that. Bournemouth, Luton and Sheffield United are all clubs he needs to avoid. No good making such an important move in his career to any of them, hold out for that next level of team. If he truly believes in himself he’ll get a better move, going to Bournemouth doesn’t progress his career at all. Just gets a rotational spot in a team that’s finishing in the bottom 5. 

If they were under O’Neil I’d tend to agree but it looks like this manager is an upgrade looking at what he’s achieved already. They have a lot of money to spend aswell, personally I see them staying up 

15 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

If they were under O’Neil I’d tend to agree but it looks like this manager is an upgrade looking at what he’s achieved already. They have a lot of money to spend aswell, personally I see them staying up 

Otoh the lack of experience of the specific challenge of the PL could catch him and then out.

I'd say they have grounds for cautious optimism but it could easily unravel too.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Football can be mercenary.  

I know you are only making a point but that’s one of the most ‘No shit, Sherlock’ statements. 
This whole ‘Let’s pretend we’re football managers’ stuff really gets me when it’s to do with selling players, particularly when they are our best ones. 
The whole thing is a food chain that cements Man City at the top and everyone in a nice little rank order beneath them. We sell to X who are higher than us. They sell to Y who are higher than them and then they sell to Man City who win the treble. Simples. 
the only thing that upsets the gravy train is a bigger Sheikh or oligarch coming along. Or…… a few youngsters kicking on at the same time alongside clever recruitment. So basically if we’re going to do anything then we don’t sell him or Vyner or Tanner or Bell. 
However because football is mercenary and because we’re a selling club, we will stay where we are in the food chain. 

At least we get some Saturday 3pm kick-offs 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

I know you are only making a point but that’s one of the most ‘No shit, Sherlock’ statements. 
This whole ‘Let’s pretend we’re football managers’ stuff really gets me when it’s to do with selling players, particularly when they are our best ones. 
The whole thing is a food chain that cements Man City at the top and everyone in a nice little rank order beneath them. We sell to X who are higher than us. They sell to Y who are higher than them and then they sell to Man City who win the treble. Simples. 
the only thing that upsets the gravy train is a bigger Sheikh or oligarch coming along. Or…… a few youngsters kicking on at the same time alongside clever recruitment. So basically if we’re going to do anything then we don’t sell him or Vyner or Tanner or Bell. 
However because football is mercenary and because we’re a selling club, we will stay where we are in the food chain. 

At least we get some Saturday 3pm kick-offs 

I'm hoping Scott would be the last big sale in a while. Even that isn't a given of course.

PS you forgot Conway. Who could conceivably if fit consistently, hit 15-20 goals this season.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm hoping Scott would be the last big sale in a while. Even that isn't a given of course.

PS you forgot Conway. Who could conceivably if fit consistently, hit 15-20 goals this season.

He won't be the last big sale, every player has a price,

Just now, Wanderingred said:

What’s wrong with wanting our home grown players to succeed at one of the country’s biggest clubs?

Nothing but same way there's people on here saying Derby fans are crying about the fact Knight came here rather than a 'big' club

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's not a blind auction though, through agents and representatives any buying club will know what "our number" comprising add-ons, payment structure etc. If they decide they are happy to meet it then Scott will be allowed to leave

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It's not a blind auction though, through agents and representatives any buying club will know what "our number" comprising add-ons, payment structure etc. If they decide they are happy to meet it then Scott will be allowed to leave

Alex Scott hasn't got a minimum release clause in his contract. 

For example, Spurs could come in with a 25 million bid and we can say to Bournemouth or West Ham or whoever that Spurs have bid 25 million and if they'd like to make a higher offer to secure the player then they are free to do that. 

Transfer negotiations are incredibly complicated. Bids are most likely just verbal until all is agreed. Spurs could say 25 million with x amount up front and the rest over 3 years. Bournemouth may say X amount over 4 years but then have different add ons. Who knows.

It's simply not the case that we will accept whoever puts 25 million on the table 1st. 

All this is likely happening right now. 

What I do know is we'll be speaking to all clubs at the same time trying to get the most for us on favourable terms. 

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Transfer negotiations are incredibly complicated. Bids are most likely just verbal until all is agreed. Spurs could say 25 million with x amount up front and the rest over 3 years. Bournemouth may say X amount over 4 years but then have different add ons. Who knows.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Alex has a release clause, but it is pretty commonplace that when a player has this sort of multi-club interest, that club, player and agent discuss what kind of amount it would take to let the player go, should he even want to leave.  The player might not agree, but that then enters different scenarios.  City will also know preferred destination if he has one

But ultimately if we agree that club x has hit the “required numbers” (in whatever way) and so has club y, then we were are very unlikely to try to get more from x or y.  It then becomes Alex’s choice.

Just look at what John Pelling did in summer 2015.  Hull told him to eff off.  Brentford touted the player to Burnley.  You lose deals by effing club’s about.

We have been very open and clear re Alex, it’s £25m at least.  If someone wants to come in straightaway with £30m (to cut down the number of clubs they’re in competition with, that’s very different.  But the chances are most clubs are gonna try beneath £25m for starters.

39 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What I do know is we'll be speaking to all clubs at the same time trying to get the most for us on favourable terms. 

Yes, but that’s because nobody has offered (formally or informally) £25m or whatever the asking price / terms are.  Not because we are trying to turn it into an auction.

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

Agreed & the way our academy is turning out players it could well be on a regular basis :thumbsup:

Hopefully, but just because we've produced some.good players in recent years doesn't mean we get complacent,

We should be (and I wager we are) continuing to improve it and try and reach category one

• Like 1

Does it really matter if he goes to Bournemouth or Real Madrid for us? If we get our asking price, he's no longer our player. It's a step up for him, playing in a higher league, and if he goes, in a couple of years he'll be another Tammy Abraham - hoping he does well, and glad if he gets an England call up, but we'll still be going to Ashton Gate rather than wherever he ends up.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

48 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Does it really matter if he goes to Bournemouth or Real Madrid for us? If we get our asking price, he's no longer our player. It's a step up for him, playing in a higher league, and if he goes, in a couple of years he'll be another Tammy Abraham - hoping he does well, and glad if he gets an England call up, but we'll still be going to Ashton Gate rather than wherever he ends up.

No it doesn't, people are being snobbish,

Just like we are higher in the food chain then Derby at the moment, Bournemouth are higher then us and have been for a long time now,

People need to accept this, it won't always be the case but it is for now, and will be until we have or sustain ourselves in the prem

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Just like we are higher in the food chain then Derby at the moment, Bournemouth are higher then us and have been for a long time now,

People need to accept this, it won't always be the case but it is for now, and will be until we have or sustain ourselves in the prem

Much, much better for us if he goes to a stepping stone club rather than straight to, say, Spurs. Brighton or Brentford would be dream ticket you'd think to max out likely future transfer value (if he goes on to fulfil potential). Spurs currently seem intent on letting their most valuable asset leave for free rather than selling him for a 'reduced' price. 

Issue with Bournemouth is likelihood of staying in prem which would obviously change his value. But maybe this new manager is the nuts like people seem to think and they will do well. In which case, good place for both Alex and Antoine from both our point of view and theirs (assuming we have decent sell ons in deals which is surely a given).

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Agree….it still hurts though!