IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

48 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Much, much better for us if he goes to a stepping stone club rather than straight to, say, Spurs. Brighton or Brentford would be dream ticket you'd think to max out likely future transfer value (if he goes on to fulfil potential). Spurs currently seem intent on letting their most valuable asset leave for free rather than selling him for a 'reduced' price. 

Issue with Bournemouth is likelihood of staying in prem which would obviously change his value. But maybe this new manager is the nuts like people seem to think and they will do well. In which case, good place for both Alex and Antoine from both our point of view and theirs (assuming we have decent sell ons in deals which is surely a given).

In my opinion, people get too obsessed with sell on clauses. Also, top players get transferred around top teams all the time, he could go to Spurs and hit the ground running, and then go for £100m to a top 5 in the world side. It's a lottery and I don't think you can pick a club based on what trajectory will happen to him. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree….it still hurts though!

Life of being a Bristol City fan!??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BCFCAL said:

Does it really matter if he goes to Bournemouth or Real Madrid for us? If we get our asking price, he's no longer our player. It's a step up for him, playing in a higher league, and if he goes, in a couple of years he'll be another Tammy Abraham - hoping he does well, and glad if he gets an England call up, but we'll still be going to Ashton Gate rather than wherever he ends up.

Completely right. He can go to Saudi as long as they pay us what he's worth.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No it doesn't, people are being snobbish,

Just like we are higher in the food chain then Derby at the moment, Bournemouth are higher then us and have been for a long time now,

People need to accept this, it won't always be the case but it is for now, and will be until we have or sustain ourselves in the prem

Receiving an acceptable bid from anyone makes no difference to me, if he's going then money is money - thank you very much.

I agree with the food chain view, however my dislike for Bournemouth is nothing to do with snobbery. It's the perception of "plucky little fighters having done soooo well against all the odds with such minimal resources, now dining at the captain's table". Bullshit! It was built with money from dubious sources.

Would I take the same? Of course! So maybe it's jealousy.

But it's certainly not snobbery...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

No it doesn't, people are being snobbish,

Just like we are higher in the food chain then Derby at the moment, Bournemouth are higher then us and have been for a long time now,

People need to accept this, it won't always be the case but it is for now, and will be until we have or sustain ourselves in the prem

It's not so much that, it's the arrogance and short memories of their supporters. They seem to have forgotten playing at Molinuex with one stand in the 4th division or coming to Ashton Gate on a Saturday knowing that the gates were going to be locked at Dean Court on the following Monday. 

I haven't though, so it would be nice if they had a more of a wow! attitude to some of their signings, rather than suggesting it's inevitable because of who they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

Much, much better for us if he goes to a stepping stone club rather than straight to, say, Spurs. Brighton or Brentford would be dream ticket you'd think to max out likely future transfer value (if he goes on to fulfil potential). Spurs currently seem intent on letting their most valuable asset leave for free rather than selling him for a 'reduced' price. 

Issue with Bournemouth is likelihood of staying in prem which would obviously change his value. But maybe this new manager is the nuts like people seem to think and they will do well. In which case, good place for both Alex and Antoine from both our point of view and theirs (assuming we have decent sell ons in deals which is surely a given).

Stepping stone clubs, haven't we tried that. Wasn't Bournemouth a stepping stone for Kelly, Brighton for Webster and Burnley for Brownhill? How's that worked out so far? I want him to stay but if he goes I'll take the highest bidder please from our end (but hope he goes to a club that would benefit his development). 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Stepping stone clubs, haven't we tried that. Wasn't Bournemouth a stepping stone for Kelly, Brighton for Webster and Burnley for Brownhill? How's that worked out so far? I want him to stay but if he goes I'll take the highest bidder please from our end (but hope he goes to a club that would benefit his development). 

I guess this is where the “sell-on” is seen as so important to fans when a player is sold, but the reality is it’s rarely achieved, or at least rarely becomes significant.  My view is get as much as you can up-front.

For every Bolassie (boy was that an unexpected windfall) there are the names you mention above.  In fairness I think the fees we got for Kelly and Webster were great, Brownhill dictated by contract terms.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Just that these clubs don't have a great incentive to sell due to a combination of PL cash, Parachute Payments and trading of others.

Had Burnley stayed down in 2022-23 or Bournemouth in 2021-22 or Brighton dropped in Potter's first or second season..sale at profit quite likely IMO in some of all or the cases and sell on to us.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Bournemouth would be good for alex scott.

He's likely to play alot more.

And for us, he'll probably thrive there and be snapped up for mega money by a bigger club and we'll get a sell on.

I love this vain hope about sell ons. Ofcourse you have to put such a clause into a sale but you can't factor in benefitting from them. Despite all the talk we've seen nothing from Kelly, Webster or Brownhill. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I love this vain hope about sell ons. Ofcourse you have to put such a clause into a sale but you can't factor in benefitting from them. Despite all the talk we've seen nothing from Kelly, Webster or Brownhill. 

Birmingham could benefit from 2 this summer. Bellingham already they have and there was talk of Che Adams leaving Southampton earlier this summer. Stoke did with Collins last year, Norwich will with Maddison this season. West Brom with Morgan Rogers albeit won't be much.

Preston did from our sale of Brownhill too iirc.

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

None of those players have left their clubs - think your jumping the gun a bit.

But the main thing is, we get our asking price. If we get that then why do we care?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riaz said:

But the main thing is, we get our asking price. If we get that then why do we care?

I knew, just had a gut feeling that we wouldn't benefit from any of those 3 last sesson.

Kompany declared Brownhill to be unsellable or words to that effect others were but not Brownhill. Stoke benefited from Collins to Wolves e.g.

The cost of selling Kelly and missing promotion was clearly seen as less of a risk by Bournemouth. They went up and stayed up so he won't be off.

Parachute Payments also in both cases.

Webster has a contract until 2026 and Brighton are increasingly good negotiatiors, PL and European money, major sales..they'll only sell who they want to on their terms barring a buyout clause. Webster will be there for a while IMO.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I knew, just had a gut feeling that we wouldn't benefit from any of those 3 last sesson.

Kompany declared Brownhill to be unsellable or words to that effect others were but not Brownhill. Stoke benefited from Collins to Wolves e.g.

The cost of selling Kelly and missing promotion was clearly seen as less of a risk by Bournemouth. They went up and stayed up so he won't be off.

Parachute Payments also in both cases.

Webster has a contract until 2026 and Brighton are increasingly good negotiatiors, PL and European money, major sales..they'll only sell who they want to on their terms barring a buyout clause. Webster will be there for a while IMO.

Personally, i think all three could get big moves in the future.

Edited by Riaz

8 minutes ago, Riaz said:

My point is that while sell on clauses are a prudent necessity you can't factor into calculations that you are going to benefit from them. There are too many variable around club or player future fortunes. I'm with Davefevs and others, get what you want upfront and enjoy the fringe benefits if they ever materialise. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Bournemouth have signed a midfielder for 12million and immediately loaned him out to a french club for the season. Never thought I would see the day when they could afford to do that. Almost Chelseaesque.

Same owner. Probably plays a big part in that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Personally, i think all three could get big moves in the future.

Could but Kelly and Brownhill are entering the final year of their contract. Percentage of profit is the benchmark for us benefiting from a sell-on clause.

Webster, Brighton again I don't see selling unless they really want to, or maybe he'll leave on a free in 2026 who knows. The football Gods don't seem to throw many lucky breaks our way.

20 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Not really.

If Spurs for example (or a number of EPL clubs) come in at the same price, where's he gonna go ?

If Spurs came in for the same money, he’d obviously go to Spurs, so Bournemouth could then offer 27, 28, 30m, hence starting a bidding war.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It's all if and ands though isn't it. If we sell him for £25M it's a decent price. If he stays and drives us towards a win in the play off final what's that worth, £100M.

How about we sell him for £25M.

Then win the league without him for the £100M.

Then PSG buy him next season for £80M and we have a 20% sell on clause.

Quids in.

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

My point is that while sell on clauses are a prudent necessity you can't factor into calculations that you are going to benefit from them. There are too many variable around club or player future fortunes. I'm with Davefevs and others, get what you want upfront and enjoy the fringe benefits if they ever materialise. 

Absolutely.

My point earlier, was if we get the fee we want - why do we care which club he goes to and if anything, we are more likely to get a sell on, with a smaller club

54 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

If Spurs came in for the same money, he’d obviously go to Spurs, so Bournemouth could then offer 27, 28, 30m, hence starting a bidding war.

That's not how a bidding war works, if any club came in with 25 million we'd accept it, why then would another club come in with more money?

In order for a bidding war to start we'd have to reject the offer of 25 million, and as we've set that as his price we wouldn't reject that bid,

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Alex has a release clause, but it is pretty commonplace that when a player has this sort of multi-club interest, that club, player and agent discuss what kind of amount it would take to let the player go, should he even want to leave.  The player might not agree, but that then enters different scenarios.  City will also know preferred destination if he has one

But ultimately if we agree that club x has hit the “required numbers” (in whatever way) and so has club y, then we were are very unlikely to try to get more from x or y.  It then becomes Alex’s choice.

Just look at what John Pelling did in summer 2015.  Hull told him to eff off.  Brentford touted the player to Burnley.  You lose deals by effing club’s about.

We have been very open and clear re Alex, it’s £25m at least.  If someone wants to come in straightaway with £30m (to cut down the number of clubs they’re in competition with, that’s very different.  But the chances are most clubs are gonna try beneath £25m for starters.

Yes, but that’s because nobody has offered (formally or informally) £25m or whatever the asking price / terms are.  Not because we are trying to turn it into an auction.

The point I'm making Dave is that people seem to think that as soon as we get a 25 million bid, we'll accept it, almost as if that 25 million we put on his head is a release clause. People seem to think that the first club to offer 25 million will get him. 

You know that transfer fees can be incredibly complicated and that two 25 million pound bids probably wouldn't look the same.

The reality is a club will bid 25 million and we'll say "thanks, we'll get back to you after we've discussed it as a club" we'll then maybe leak it to the press that such and such has bid 25 million or get our agents or intermediaries to spread the word to other interested clubs to see if we can possibly get more from another club. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That's not how a bidding war works, if any club came in with 25 million we'd accept it, why then would another club come in with more money?

In order for a bidding war to start we'd have to reject the offer of 25 million, and as we've set that as his price we wouldn't reject that bid,

As I've just said. The 25 million isn't a release clause. It's ridiculous to suggest that we'd immediately accept a 25 million bid from the 1st club to offer it. That's not how it works. 

25 million is what we want, but it's by no means a set in stone figure. 

There is no formal process to making bids for players. You don't have to submit your bid to the EFL or anything. A bid isn't legally binding. A bid in most cases is just a telephone call which says something like "we'd like to offer you 25 million for Alex Scott and these are the terms of the transfer" it may then be put in an email about how they propose the deal is structured. 

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And if the 25 million was offered & the player does not wish to sign for that club????........

Alex is a bright young man - he won't be leaving us on any consideration other than to a destination of his choice - 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Don’t think that is true. If a club offers £25m I am sure we would except it, but that does not make it nessecarily a binding contract.

There would be nothing to stop another club offering £26m possibly after missing out on another target.

In all of this nothing is set in stone until Alex signs a contract.

Witness Joe Bryan agreeing to go to Villa then legging it down the M1 when Fulham made, I assume, a more attractive offer. The better offer does not need to be higher wages.

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Lansdown added: "We've quoted £25m in the past, I really don't know where it goes. It's supply and demand, isn't it? If there are lots of clubs interested in him, then the value goes up. source

We haven't set 25m as our price, so we could easily reject 25 million if we know there are concrete bids in the pipeline from multiple clubs.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 2