IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

There's another element to this though isn't there. While we will have a figure that will allow us to accept and for a team to speak in detail with Alex, where he ends up may not be down to money. If he gets permission to speak to more than one club wages may not be the determinate factor, perhaps plans for where he'll play, his role in the team and especially game time may hold sway. In the example of Spurs and Bournemouth, while Spurs would seem more appealing on the surface opportunities for role and game time at Bournemouth might be more appealing. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

But why would they? The last doughnut in the shop is a pound, some one offers a pound, do you come in and offer one fifty? No because it makes no sense, it isn't a auction, 

Why can't people grasp basic economics, it's mind bending

Simply because you are wrong.

Using your analogy, you go into the bakers to buy the last doughnut for £1 but just before you complete the transaction I come into the shop and want that doughnut, so I offer £1.50. The baker will then accept my offer too and let the doughnut decide where it goes.

The reason it is an auction is because more than one party wants the doughnut.

Supply and demand, it’s one of the basic elements of economics. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There's another element to this though isn't there. While we will have a figure that will allow us to accept and for a team to speak in detail with Alex, where he ends up may not be down to money. If he gets permission to speak to more than one club wages may not be the determinate factor, perhaps plans for where he'll play, his role in the team and especially game time may hold sway. In the example of Spurs and Bournemouth, while Spurs would seem more appealing on the surface opportunities for role and game time at Bournemouth might be more appealing. 

A worked example and we all know Scott is a Tottenham fan but between two clubs.

Bournemouth offer £25m but are perhaps tipped to struggle. Manager new to England, could really go either way. Potentially more game time but then again not guaranteed.

West Ham offer £22m, but more established club (reports have suggested that is what they may bid for him). Potential for European football, stronger squad and a decent track record of EFL players stepping up. Otoh bigger club, more depth may mean less gsme time.

Where would Scott prefer. Conceivably we may accept the Bournemouth bid as it fits a baseline valuation but he maybe leaning towards West Ham for footballing reasons thereby rejecting or hesitating on Bournemouth.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Leveller said:

But isn’t it like selling a house? Two buyers both want it and bid the price up until one refuses to go higher. Footballers aren’t like a tin of beans in a shop with a fixed price, are they? 

I agree we wouldn’t accept an offer then renege on it - gazumping - but why would we accept the first offer at our reserve price if we knew that higher bids were possible?

I guess the key thing here is understanding the difference between “discussions” and “bid” and the informal and formal elements of each.

There will potentially be lots of informal pre-amble, and that might allow City to play one off against the other.  But there will become a point where City get to what they think is the sum / terms outcome they are after / is achievable.  It’s then up to the clubs to meet that or not.  How that gets communicated to the likes of Spurs or Bournemouth can take different forms.

But once at that point if Spurs “bid” (what really is a bid?) what we want we are likely to accept, it can be largely irrelevant what Bournemouth do at that point.  To go back and say we’ve moved the goalposts for whatever reason, is unlikely to go down well.

In summary:

• whilst in “informal stages” chance your arm by trying to get as much as possible by playing clubs off against each other
  • once more “formal” don’t renege
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BCFC Rich said:

I would say there are plenty of ways for it to become a bidding war. 

In real estate here in California (obviously there are big differences in RE and player sales).

When you are selling a property your client has a price they want, we even set a price a property is listed at.

You don't rush any decisions, wait to see how much interest there is and once you have an offer you let everyone who has shown interest know you have an offer.

If you think you will get more than one offer you set a deadline a few days ahead for offers. You would ask for highest and best offers by that deadline (sealed bids would be the closest UK equivalent). 

You see what everyone offers. You can the accept the highest/offer with the best terms. Or let everyone else know what the highest offer was give them a chance to match it. 

You can also counter one/some/all offer with higher terms that you want. 

We also need to remember that it's not just the fee that will matter the terms will also be SO important. If someone offers $25m and someone else offers $20m + 40% sell on, that's probably going to be at least as good an offer - I think most would prefer the later. 

TLDR - Plenty of ways a bidding war could happen + cash isn't the only factor. 

Less pages on OTIB ?

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A worked example and we all know Scott is a Tottenham fan but between two clubs.

Bournemouth offer £25m but are perhaps tipped to struggle. Manager new to England, could really go either way. Potentially more game time but then again not guaranteed.

West Ham offer £22m, but more established club (reports have suggested that is what they may bid for him). Potential for European football, stronger squad and a decent track record of EFL players stepping up. Otoh bigger club, more depth may mean less gsme time.

Where would Scott prefer. Conceivably we may accept the Bournemouth bid as it fits a baseline valuation but he maybe leaning towards West Ham for footballing reasons thereby rejecting or hesitating on Bournemouth.

Let’s just bring a real scenario.

Antoine Semenyo preferred Crystal P over Bournemouth.  Palace didn’t meet “what we wanted”.  He went to the only club that met our demands.

Now if he’d said “I don’t want to ever, ever, ever, go to Bournemouth” that’s very different.  At that point it’s futile even bothering City and Bournemouth having discussions.  Then, Palace are the only show in town.  We still might decide to not sell him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the key thing here is understanding the difference between “discussions” and “bid” and the informal and formal elements of each.

There will potentially be lots of informal pre-amble, and that might allow City to play one off against the other.  But there will become a point where City get to what they think is the sum / terms outcome they are after / is achievable.  It’s then up to the clubs to meet that or not.  How that gets communicated to the likes of Spurs or Bournemouth can take different forms.

But once at that point if Spurs “bid” (what really is a bid?) what we want we are likely to accept, it can be largely irrelevant what Bournemouth do at that point.  To go back and say we’ve moved the goalposts for whatever reason, is unlikely to go down well.

In summary:

• whilst in “informal stages” chance your arm by trying to get as much as possible by playing clubs off against each other
  • once more “formal” don’t renege

Now it's got existential  .... ?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Using your analogy, you go into the bakers to buy the last doughnut for £1 but just before you complete the transaction I come into the shop and want that doughnut, so I offer £1.50. The baker will then accept my offer too and let the doughnut decide where it goes.

Is that because it's a doughnut the baker needs to add an extra 0?

20 minutes ago, grifty said:

I’m amazed at how many experts on football transfers and how they work we have on here!

Or chatting to Football CEOs, CFOs and people working in Recruitment (not just City).

There are some people in football who’d gazump obviously, but there are most that realise you’re just likely to be done on the next deal you do!  Some take that gamble.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To go back and say we’ve moved the goalposts for whatever reason, is unlikely to go down well.

This is crucial I think. We seem to have established a good reputation with other clubs by treating them with respect. Start messing a club about and your reputation suffers and it gets harder to deal with others.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Let’s just bring a real scenario.

Antoine Semenyo preferred Crystal P over Bournemouth.  Palace didn’t meet “what we wanted”.  He went to the only club that met our demands.

Now if he’d said “I don’t want to ever, ever, ever, go to Bournemouth” that’s very different.  At that point it’s futile even bothering City and Bournemouth having discussions.  Then, Palace are the only show in town.  We still might decide to not sell him.

Did Crystal Palace bid in January? I thought was summer 2022 he was linked there.

Quick Google said they had made an approach but were they priced out? My £10m FFP breach was clearly overdone but I think a couple to a few million over had Semenyo stayed even with easily provable Covid losses. (£2-4m). Pull and push factors.

There is also the risk of a player becoming disruptive or phoning it in if his desired move denied over a couple of million. Intangible but possible.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

Mmmmm. Isn't the difference though that in the football scenario the player really can decide?

Clearly the doughnut deciding is not going to happen, and in the world of basic economics, yes, the party prepared to pay more gets the doughnut.

But Alex Scott can decide. So if I offer £25m for him, and you then offer £30m, the club may decide to accept your offer, but if Alex wants to come with me then the club get either £25m from me, or nothing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did Crystal Palace bid in January? I thought was summer 2022 he was linked there.

Quick Google said they had made an approach but were they priced out? My £10m FFP breach was clearly overdone but I think a couple to a few million over had Semenyo stayed even with easily provable Covid losses. (£2-4m). Pull and push factors.

There is also the risk of a player becoming disruptive or phoning it in if his desired move denied over a couple of million. Intangible but possible.

We are getting into semantics of bids and approaches!!!

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Mmmmm. Isn't the difference though that in the football scenario the player really can decide?

Clearly the doughnut deciding is not going to happen, and in the world of basic economics, yes, the party prepared to pay more gets the doughnut.

But Alex Scott can decide. So if I offer £25m for him, and you then offer £30m, the club may decide to accept your offer, but if Alex wants to come with me then the club get either £25m from me, or nothing. 

And if you refuse the £25m (if that’s the amount you said was acceptable) then you end up with a pissed off player more than likely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

Was it Seth Johnson who Risdale told that Leeds wouldn't pay a penny more than £35k a week, which was miles more than his agent was going to ask for?

I love this story. Apparently once Leeds senior figures left the room, both player and agent burst into laughter. 

Edited by AshtonRobin21
  • Like 1

When Alex signed his new contract I hope he didn't have a clause included stating that if his OTIB transfer thread reached 75 pages then the club would have to drop the fee by £5m for every 10 pages thereafter.

• Like 1

If I am reading the last few pages right, it’s that do we allow Premiership sides to get in a bidding war to push the amount we get as high as possible, with this frenzy starting at £25m, or do we do the right thing and accept that?

Whilst we still await any kind of nibble at that price?