IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

1 hour ago, Tangle Foot said:

If Scotty is gonna be loaned back to us for the whole season, we get a guaranteed £20M, £5M in achievable add-ons, plus a 20% sell on. He’s gonna be gone, assuming he doesn’t mind playing for Bournemouth (or whichever team it ends up being).

Despite NP dislike of getting loan players in, I’m pretty sure NP would make an exception in this case.

COYR.

I actually don't think we would get him back on loan (or want him back on loan) for a number of reasons.

From Bournemouth's perspective, you don't spend £20m+ on a player with the intention of immediately sending them back on loan. Bournemouth could quite reasonably say "If you think he needs another year to develop in the Championship and we're gonna have to wait another year before we actually get him, then why the **** are you asking for £25m?"

Equally, from our perspective, we'd suddenly be developing somebody else's young player when we have plenty of our own young players to give development minutes to instead. I don't think it's worth us making that sacrifice, as well as the sacrifice of £5m - £10m in transfer fees, just to have Scott back for another year - especially for a season where, realistically, we're unlikely to challenge for promotion.

Also, whilst we're on the topic, I absolutely love our current policy of not wasting our time and money on loans.

• Like 2

There is no ‘middle ground’ on an offer. Bournemouth are trying to create that middle ground by low balling disrespectfully. £25mill is the starting point and lowest acceptable offer and if others come in (we’re not in a rush to sell) then the Dutch auction begins and the weak get filtered out.

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

There is no ‘middle ground’ on an offer. Bournemouth are trying to create that middle ground by low balling disrespectfully. £25mill is the starting point and lowest acceptable offer and if others come in (we’re not in a rush to sell) then the Dutch auction begins and the weak get filtered out.

Given the amount of interest in Scott, the fact the club don't need to sell, also that he's happy to stay and NP wants to keep him, I do think that 25m is the minimum the club will accept. As soon as one club's bid is accepted, the others will swoop.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You must be new…we haven’t even got to fish puns yet!

In order for any transfer to happen discussions must occur in the correct order

Otherwise it angers the OTIB gods and the deal is doomed.  Tick all the boxes and white smoke is released

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How is it tactics to make a bid that you know won't be accepted. 

You never know.

I bought some outdoor/playground rubber matts this week on Facebook ..... were listed at 250.  Then knocked down to 200.  I offered 150

Picking them up Saturday ... worth a punt

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I actually don't think we would get him back on loan (or want him back on loan) for a number of reasons.

From Bournemouth's perspective, you don't spend £20m+ on a player with the intention of immediately sending them back on loan. Bournemouth could quite reasonably say "If you think he needs another year to develop in the Championship and we're gonna have to wait another year before we actually get him, then why the **** are you asking for £25m?"

Equally, from our perspective, we'd suddenly be developing somebody else's young player when we have plenty of our own young players to give development minutes to instead. I don't think it's worth us making that sacrifice, as well as the sacrifice of £5m - £10m in transfer fees, just to have Scott back for another year - especially for a season where, realistically, we're unlikely to challenge for promotion.

Also, whilst we're on the topic, I absolutely love our current policy of not wasting our time and money on loans.

I do generally agree with your post but Bournemouth just signed a player for 12m and loaned him straight out, albeit to their sister club.

6 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

15 mil seems low - but nobody knows the full offer.

15 mil - no

But 15 mil plus 5 mil for 50 games played at Bournemouth and 30% sell-on (full sale price to new club) makes it a whole new beast.

If Scott is sold in 2025 to a another club for 50 mil then its 20 mil (clause triggered + original price) plus 30% of 50 mil - another 15.

In 18 months we get a windfall of 20 mil from the games played and add-ons clauses

All of a sudden we have got 35 mil for AS - and Bournemouth are only out the 15 + 5 with the new club paying them 50 mil, they would get 35 mil after the sell-on clause.

We get 35 mil in total

Bournemouth get Scott for 18 months for a profit 15 mil (35 mil balance minus original fee + games played clause)

New club get AS for 50 mil

It's a bit short-sighted to go 15 mil - nah, without knowing the full offer.

Everyone wins in this scenario, us, Bournemouth and Alex.

2p

Sell on clauses are often based on a percentage of any profit made from the previous transfer. 

If Scott were to leave us for say £20m (with a 20% sell on clause), and Bournemouth then went on to sell him for £40m, we would only be entitled to a 20% share of the £20m profit that Bournemouth had made.

Therefore only securing us a further £4m. Which takes us to around the point of our rumoured asking price anyway. 

• Like 1

Fairly obvious that this is Bournemouth testing the water, they know we previously said £25m - but they’re wondering if there is any movement on that, so £15m offered and they’re hoping we come back and say no thanks but we’ll take £20m (just as an example). 

We’d be silly to not include a sell on for any young player but I think the focus will be on whatever the upfront payments are and not x and y add ons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

You never know.

I bought some outdoor/playground rubber matts this week on Facebook ..... were listed at 250.  Then knocked down to 200.  I offered 150

Picking them up Saturday ... worth a punt

Are there any add-ons or a sell-on clause?

• Haha 1

Heckles were raised with me when firstly the sources named Bournemouth and then further raised when 15 Million was stated as the opening bid.

Regardless of whether they subsequently meet City's valuation, I just don't want him going to bloody Bournemouth. I see them as Premier also rans and nothing much more than that. Whilst that is probably acceptable for the likes of Lloyd Kelly and Antoine Semenyo. I see Alex Scott as many levels above both of those players and it would be better for him that if he does go, then go somewhere different than Bournemouth.

• Like 4

Surprised by some of the outcry I’ve seen to this. Can see exactly why Scott would prefer to play for Bournemouth. Or at the least what they can convincingly sell to him. Ambitious club on the up, new ownership, exciting manager wanting to play energetic front foot football, new stadium around the corner, big wages, and a strong chance of holding down a first team spot. I don’t think it’s a bad move if he is given game time, they may not have a big fan base but they can still offer a damn sight more than we can right now. That’s just the order of things, even if not historically. 

• Like 2

I think it's in his best interests to go somewhere where he'll get games and in the Premier League to showcase what he can do. That will probably accelerate his chances of going to a top team and playing rather than being a peripheral player.  Best wishes to Alex and I hope he goes to the very top, but I just want to see City get as much money as they can to invest in a couple of players that could mean we swap places with Bournemouth.  That's the main thing.

15 mil is a pointless bid, no incentive to sell at anywhere near this price as his value will be more than this next year with another seasons experience, worst case it won’t be less.

If this is how the market values him now, I think we get another season.

• Like 1

The thought of him going to Bournemouth is of course a little uninspiring but if they stump up the cash where other clubs haven't, then fair play to them. They'll have made a fantastic signing and a sound investment ahead of bigger clubs.

If he wants to play Prem football most weeks, it's a good move. Given his very young age, a year or two there would do his career no harm and would be a a decent stepping stone for his next move.

2 minutes ago, Jeez said:

15 mil is a pointless bid, no incentive to sell at anywhere near this price as his value will be more than this next year with another seasons experience, worst case it won’t be less.

If this is how the market values him now, I think we get another season.

Agree. I can’t see us accepting in the teens for him. 22m sounds right to me up front plus add ons. 

Pretty calm about this, we always knew bids will come in, the opening offer has come in 3 weeks before the season starts. I think things will kick on quickly now.

If so, it gives us enough time to make plans for AS not being around, whether that is in recruitment or on the pitch. 

My worst fear was for nothing to happen until late August. 

• Like 3