IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

33 minutes ago, BUTOR said:

Surprised by some of the outcry I’ve seen to this. Can see exactly why Scott would prefer to play for Bournemouth. Or at the least what they can convincingly sell to him. Ambitious club on the up, new ownership, exciting manager wanting to play energetic front foot football, new stadium around the corner, big wages, and a strong chance of holding down a first team spot. I don’t think it’s a bad move if he is given game time, they may not have a big fan base but they can still offer a damn sight more than we can right now. That’s just the order of things, even if not historically. 

They are no more ambitious than any other Premier club. The new manager is untried and can spout off as much as he wants about the type of football he 'wants' to play. New stadium, so what? 

They can offer more than we can right now and that is a given.

I'm not having a dig at your post by the way.

I think the 'outcry' you refer to is that many feel that if he is to go then go somewhere better. If Bournemouth pay what we are asking and there are no other bidders for the same money, then that's a completely different scenario. I guess it will then be up to Alex if he wants to take the move.

8 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

We get 35 mil in total

Bournemouth get Scott for 18 months for a profit 15 mil (35 mil balance minus original fee + games played clause)

New club get AS for 50 mil

Sounds like a plan….unless Bournemouth get relegated, we get promoted and we buy him back at £50M  ?

2 hours ago, soultrader said:

You never know.

I bought some outdoor/playground rubber matts this week on Facebook ..... were listed at 250.  Then knocked down to 200.  I offered 150

Picking them up Saturday ... worth a punt

I once heard Dave Fishwick say that whenever he buys something, he offers 50% less than what they are asking. He said he knows he won't get it at that price but that he would receive significant savings off the original price plus extras etc. 

Since then everytime I've purchased something off of marketplace I always offer 50-60% of the advertised price and it absolutely works a treat. On the odd occasion I've been successful at that price but most of the time I can get it for around 70% of the price. 

Congrats on your purchase. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I do generally agree with your post but Bournemouth just signed a player for 12m and loaned him straight out, albeit to their sister club.

True, but worth considering that that's likely about half what they'll pay for Scott.

To us it all just falls into the category of "big money", but there's a significant difference in fees between the two. Scott would almost certainly be in their top 3 most expensive signings ever. 

9 minutes ago, supercidered said:

They are no more ambitious than any other Premier club. The new manager is untried and can spout off as much as he wants about the type of football he 'wants' to play. New stadium, so what? 

They can offer more than we can right now and that is a given.

I'm not having a dig at your post by the way.

I think the 'outcry' you refer to is that many feel that if he is to go then go somewhere better. If Bournemouth pay what we are asking and there are no other bidders for the same money, then that's a completely different scenario. I guess it will then be up to Alex if he wants to take the move.

I think the main issue is whether he’d get to play. I doubt he’d be keen to kick his heels on the bench for his first season at, say, Spurs. We may see his future at the very top, but a smaller club like Bournemouth may very well be preferable in terms of immediate development.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think the main issue is whether he’d get to play. I doubt he’d be keen to kick his heels on the bench for his first season at, say, Spurs. We may see his future at the very top, but a smaller club like Bournemouth may very well be preferable in terms of immediate development.

I see him as a 19 year old with relatively little experience in the Championship and none in the Premier. Using your example of Spurs (but insert many other teams here) he will have immediate development by working and training with top quality players day in day out. I'm not saying that Alex Scott is as good Phil Foden but he seems to have done pretty well by being used sparingly in this way and has continued to develop.

I think this would be preferable and better for Scott's development in this type of scenario than playing more regularly in a Bournemouth team that could well be in a relegation fight all season.

42 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I once heard Dave Fishwick say that whenever he buys something, he offers 50% less than what they are asking. He said he knows he won't get it at that price but that he would receive significant savings off the original price plus extras etc. 

Since then everytime I've purchased something off of marketplace I always offer 50-60% of the advertised price and it absolutely works a treat. On the odd occasion I've been successful at that price but most of the time I can get it for around 70% of the price. 

Exactly this. It’s just classic sales negotiation. 

42 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

He won't go to Bournemouth at any price

You keep saying this, but why do you think that?

It not crazy to think he may prefer a season of regular games in the prem so the bigger clubs can see what he can do, then possibly move again. If he goes straight to a big club he runs the risk of not playing, then having to move to a lesser club to get games.

We sound alot like Derby fans when we bought Knight off them. 

Whether we like it or not, playing for Bournemouth in the Premier league is a step up for Scott.

Do some of your really think players give a shit about the size of a football club? 

• Like 12
  • Flames 4

12 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

You keep saying this, but why do you think that?

It not crazy to think he may prefer a season of regular games in the prem so the bigger clubs can see what he can do, then possibly move again. If he goes straight to a big club he runs the risk of not playing, then having to move to a lesser club to get games.

Just my opinion Bob, that's all

• Admin
7 minutes ago, UpTheReds said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-alex-scott-bournemouth-8596558

Wolves bid for him before Bournemouth did according to BristolPost.

Bristol Post = Taking stories from OTIB

1 minute ago, BLRed said:

Charlie Patino or Scott twine viable replacements?

Mehmetti will be his replacement

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Alex Crook says Wolves no longer in the race. That £18m probably towards the top end of what they could/would pay.

Or pay atm anyway, these matters can change very quickly.

Wolves fans are less than pleased with their club seemingly withdrawing as you can imagine.

https://twitter.com/alex_crook/status/1679423999720185857/retweets/with_comments

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, BUTOR said:

Surprised by some of the outcry I’ve seen to this. Can see exactly why Scott would prefer to play for Bournemouth. Or at the least what they can convincingly sell to him. Ambitious club on the up, new ownership, exciting manager wanting to play energetic front foot football, new stadium around the corner, big wages, and a strong chance of holding down a first team spot. I don’t think it’s a bad move if he is given game time, they may not have a big fan base but they can still offer a damn sight more than we can right now. That’s just the order of things, even if not historically. 

Yep, people seem to have forgotten they are a PL team and have been a PL team 6 / 8 seasons, this one coming being their 7th.  They are no longer bankrupt Bournemouth of however many years ago.  It’s a similar analogy to Jason Knight leaving Derby to come to us.  History means eff all really.

I’m gutted a team like them have flown past us, but the reality is they are a PL team.  He could try to negotiate a relegation release clause if he’s that worried.

2 hours ago, Jeez said:

15 mil is a pointless bid, no incentive to sell at anywhere near this price as his value will be more than this next year with another seasons experience, worst case it won’t be less.

If this is how the market values him now, I think we get another season.

I think we have to wait and see.  Two main questions for me:

• Do City want to sell / are they prepared to dig their heels in
  • Does Alex want to leave / is his particular about which club(s) he’d like to go to

We won’t know the answers to that.

FWIW there is a massive incentive to sell any player when the bid is £15m (plus add-ons)….we are losing £15-20m a year “operationally”.  It’s alright saying we only start talking at £25m when there are no offers on the table.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want him to go at all, let alone for whatever million is accepted, but even at £15m, as it’s an official bid (as far as we know) then suddenly we had a decision to make.  We rejected it.  Great.  Part one done.  But likely we will get challenge number two very soon.  I hope we do stick to our guns, but would it surprise me if there was some compromise, nope!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Alex Crook says Wolves no longer in the race. That £18m probably towards the top end of what they could/would pay.

Or pay atm anyway, these matters can change very quickly.

Alex Crook is close to Bournemouth, probably got good insight into them.

Mark McAdam (Sky) is also close to Bournemouth.  He was Eddie Howe’s recruitment analyst when Howe first took over!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BUTOR said:

This new stadium, what is the timeline? I mean unless a player who joins now signs a say 4-year contract they are unlikely to see the benefits of playing in a nice new modern stadium. Apart from that you make a lot of good points, Just a shame it's Bournemouth, though it's difficult enough as it is to see Kelly and Semenyo there it really rubs our noses in it that a club like them where they are and us with a billionaire owner and fantastic facilities are trailing in their wake. I hope I live long enough for us to be one day-nicking all their best players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If you offered me 50% less than I was asking I would very politely tell you to do one whilst seeing this image ?in my head. 
You need to know the value of something before you can make blanket statements like you have done. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

Well yes, obviously. I was wondering how you formed that opinion. 

You could maybe see Scott holding out to see if anyone else will match Bournemouth's bid, if they get to a value the club will accept, but then i guess it will depend on how long Bournemouth's offer is on the table for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercidered said:

I see him as a 19 year old with relatively little experience in the Championship and none in the Premier. Using your example of Spurs (but insert many other teams here) he will have immediate development by working and training with top quality players day in day out. I'm not saying that Alex Scott is as good Phil Foden but he seems to have done pretty well by being used sparingly in this way and has continued to develop.

I think this would be preferable and better for Scott's development in this type of scenario than playing more regularly in a Bournemouth team that could well be in a relegation fight all season.

I beg to differ on that particular point - how many other 19 years olds have had as much Championship experience as him and demonstrated their ability to be effective in more than one position?

• Like 7
  • Flames 1