IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

17 minutes ago, phantom said:
20 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Mehmetti will be his replacement

Think that’s been the plan all along? Most people see him as a winger but he did play a lot centrally at Wycombe. I guess that frees up a space for Benarous to compete with bell for left wing spot 

49 minutes ago, Ecko said:

We sound alot like Derby fans when we bought Knight off them. 

Whether we like it or not, playing for Bournemouth in the Premier league is a step up for Scott.

Do some of your really think players give a shit about the size of a football club? 

This.

Every day of the week.

I don’t like Bournemouth but fact is they are in the Prem, have spent eye watering sums in the last year & do represent a step up for him.

I think 2 relegation spots are virtually nailed on next season so those posting they are coming back down, need to realise firstly they have survived one season already then tell me the lottery numbers.

Also a lot of delusion too about Scott, he wants to play in the Prem far more than stay another year with us.

That’s before we get on to the “perhaps he’ll get loaned back” fantasy stuff..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

I think we'll accept £20m (plus the usual add ons, probably taking it to a potential £25m) from whoever. And that seems fair to me. Scott is a terrific Championship player, but the lack of goals and assists may not make him as attractive to a Prem club as a Champ striker who's just scored 25-30 goals. 

I really don't want this to drag on. It's not in our interests to start the season with this still bubbling away. We want to reinvest this money as soon as we can. We could splash out (£5m or so) on another two high quality midfielders. 

I'd always thought Palace or Brighton would have been ideal, but I'm not too fussed who he signs for.

I feel pretty confident however no one's going to shell out £25m up front. 

Edited by Fat Cigar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Looks like we rejected £18m from Wolves prior to Bournemouth’s offer.

At least that’s a good sign that £25m wasn’t hot air.

Yes. I think this will make potential bidders realise that something much closer to our valuation is going to be required. At least bournmouth know not to bother with their next lowball bid.

I see this playing out over the next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

This new stadium, what is the timeline? I mean unless a player who joins now signs a say 4-year contract they are unlikely to see the benefits of playing in a nice new modern stadium. Apart from that you make a lot of good points, Just a shame it's Bournemouth, though it's difficult enough as it is to see Kelly and Semenyo there it really rubs our noses in it that a club like them where they are and us with a billionaire owner and fantastic facilities are trailing in their wake. I hope I live long enough for us to be one day-nicking all their best players.

It's gutting isn't it and to see the financial gap between us and those that have made it to the prem just growing and growing. 

Here's hoping that our academy and a smarter transfer policy can help us finally get to the promised land in spite of the widening financial gap

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

Bournemouth may not be the most glamorous of destinations but the fact of the matter is they are a premier league club they can guarantee top flight football whereas we at this moment in time can't.

This will certainly put more clubs on alert now there has been a bid and I can see us getting £20-25m with a sell on.

What ? When did this happen, the last time I looked they were alternating between the third and fourth divisions !

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I beg to differ on that particular point - how many other 19 years olds have had as much Championship experience as him and demonstrated their ability to be effective in more than one position?

Spot on, be interested to know the names of the other 19 year olds with 83 Championship games under their belt.

Just now, Super said:

With Wolves apparently out Bournemouth might get a free run at this. I actually expected more interest tbh.

The window is open for another 6 weeks. 

Premier league clubs are only just returning to training. 

Lots of deals like Rice have not been completed yet. 

Absolutely zero need to panic. 

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

I beg to differ on that particular point - how many other 19 years olds have had as much Championship experience as him and demonstrated their ability to be effective in more than one position?

The bit you highlighted takes the point I make out of context. 

His ability and versatility are not in question.

I'm saying that going to Bournemouth and getting more game time in a side that I think are likely to struggle and or be in a relegation battle versus a more limited game time scenario but interacting on a day to day basis with a better club / better players for a player at 19 years of age is a better scenario.

58 minutes ago, Ecko said:

We sound alot like Derby fans when we bought Knight off them. 

Whether we like it or not, playing for Bournemouth in the Premier league is a step up for Scott.

Do some of your really think players give a shit about the size of a football club? 

I totally disagree with the last sentence.

Knight would have gone to a bigger club like lets say Leeds if they went for him. He chose us over Derby.

Scott would choose Bournemouth over us but he wouldn't choose Bournemouth over say Spurs, given half the chance

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm just saying if they move quickly they have a good chance of getting this done.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

With Wolves apparently out Bournemouth might get a free run at this. I actually expected more interest tbh.

But why?  Do you really think Spurs would offer 20 million for him when they don't even play their own hot prospect?  As a manager in the Premiership where you need to get results to keep your job, why would you invest 20 million in a player that won't guarantee immediate results on the pitch.  Personally I would like to see Scott staying for one more season and helping to get us into the top half of the table. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The market moves quickly though, a clubs may pay a bit less for a player a bit older with more top flight experience here or one of the other top 3 or 4 divisions..then suddenly they have no need for Scott.

If West Ham sign Zakaria e.g. do they also bid for Scott? I'd say there is scope for both and probably one more as Rice and (Lanzini) will have gone. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Knight would have gone to a bigger club like lets say Leeds if they went for him. He chose us over Derby.

Scott would choose Bournemouth over us but he wouldn't choose Bournemouth over say Spurs, given half the chance

Spurs aren’t in the ball-game at the mo’ though.  As it stands it’s stay or Bournemouth.

It’s pretty likely that Alex would go to Bournemouth if they meet our required fee (whatever that happens to be)…they aren’t bidding blind having not been given an indication of such.

3 hours ago, BUTOR said:

Surprised by some of the outcry I’ve seen to this. Can see exactly why Scott would prefer to play for Bournemouth. Or at the least what they can convincingly sell to him. Ambitious club on the up, new ownership, exciting manager wanting to play energetic front foot football, new stadium around the corner, big wages, and a strong chance of holding down a first team spot. I don’t think it’s a bad move if he is given game time, they may not have a big fan base but they can still offer a damn sight more than we can right now. That’s just the order of things, even if not historically. 

You mean one like , oh I don't know.........the Fruit Market ?

5 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

I expect West Ham to join in over the next couple of days

Better option than Bournemouth ? 

Is Rice definitely going to Arsenal though?  https://metro.co.uk/2023/07/13/declan-rice-to-arsenal-transfer-latest-west-ham-fuming-over-delay-19119132/

Isn't that Bruno in the background?

Edited by LoyalRed

5 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

But why?  Do you really think Spurs would offer 20 million for him when they don't even play their own hot prospect?  As a manager in the Premiership where you need to get results to keep your job, why would you invest 20 million in a player that won't guarantee immediate results on the pitch.  Personally I would like to see Scott staying for one more season and helping to get us into the top half of the table. 

25M for most Premier League teams isn't much. I don't see it as a gamble.

2 hours ago, BUTOR said:

Surprised by some of the outcry I’ve seen to this. Can see exactly why Scott would prefer to play for Bournemouth. Or at the least what they can convincingly sell to him. Ambitious club on the up, new ownership, exciting manager wanting to play energetic front foot football, new stadium around the corner, big wages, and a strong chance of holding down a first team spot. I don’t think it’s a bad move if he is given game time, they may not have a big fan base but they can still offer a damn sight more than we can right now. That’s just the order of things, even if not historically. 

Yepp, it's frustrating and somewhat embarrassing that Bournemouth are a long way ahead of us, but they're exactly that - a long way ahead of us.

This coming season will be Bournemouth's 7th season in the Premier League in the last 10 years. In the other 3 seasons they finished 1st, 2nd, and 6th in the Championship.  They're not the guaranteed relegation fodder than many have them down to be (and even if they were, they're still a big step up from us currently).

I agree that Scott could probably find a 'bigger' club willing to give him lots of playing time, but the idea that a move to Bournemouth would be "underwhelming" or that "Scott would have no interest in a club like Bournemouth" is a bit naive.

And from our perspective, £25m is £25m, regardless of who's paying it.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Think that’s been the plan all along? Most people see him as a winger but he did play a lot centrally at Wycombe. I guess that frees up a space for Benarous to compete with bell for left wing spot 

I always thought Mehmeti played wide and cut inside even at Wycombe....

@Davefevswhats the tool you have that shows players most played positions?! 

7 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

I expect West Ham to join in over the next couple of days

I suspect that Alex's own agent has been on at Bournemouth. He'll be playing them all against each other. He'll be telling Bournemouth that Spurs etc are about to come in for him so they need to move quick, he's doing this knowing a bid from Bournemouth etc will wake up the other clubs. 

We as a club are probably doing the same with agents, intermediaries and even the press. It's no coincidence that news of a Wolves bid came out today.

1 hour ago, Ecko said:

+

32 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I really do think fans exaggerate the important of club size/history to players. Especially club history.....remember that most of the major trophies won by Championship teams were won before the majority of present players were even born.

Yes, Knight probably would have chosen Leeds over us, but that's because they'd be able to pay more money and are more likely to be promoted, not "because they're Leeds!". We supposedly beat WBA and Norwich to the signing of McCrorie - good evidence that as soon as those sides have a midtable finish, they're no more attractive than we are.

Think of it this way - when you're considering job offers, do you care if your potential employer won UK Business of the Year in 1963? Do you care how many customers they have in the UK? Do you care how well known the company is? Or do you care about the specific opportunity they're offering you. and how much they're willing to pay you for it?

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The fact Bournemouth have made a bid and are looking to make an improved bid, would suggest that they know or at least are confident that AS would be keen to join them. 

Nah, but @TV Tom says Alex Scott will never go there!

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1