IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Are you suggesting that the revenues from Ashton Gate goes to SL rather than the football club?

I don't know. I suspect he has good accountants though. There are various mechanisms available to manoeuvre profit and loss around the various companies I'm sure

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I don't know. I suspect he has good accountants though. There are various mechanisms available to manoeuvre profit and loss around the various companies I'm sure

He himself is a good, dare I say a very good accountant..a trained one of many years standing! ;)

I guess the Pula side of things would yield the ultimate answer but that's in a jurisdiction that cannot be seen by us- but it looks legit to me..the logical step on from what you're saying would be that some revenue hidden from Ashton Gate Limited basically and straight to SL.

That in effect if revenue for AGL was £15m as stated but true revenue say £25m, he's getting £10m disappearing without trace from the accounts, into thin air.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Scott has had a contract offer on the table for a while now hasn't he?

SL first mentioned it in January but dunno whether it was new as of then or if it had been on offer for longer.

I imagine his agent said “ hold your horses, son” , it doesn’t mean he wants  to leave. 

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I imagine his agent said “ hold your horses, son” , it doesn’t mean he wants  to leave. 

True, no immediate hurry.

At what point would you start to get edgy over it, if at all? Remember he can talk to European clubs from the final 6 months of his deal to line up a free agent move if it comes down to that.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

West Ham won't have 100 million quid to spend when Rice leaves.

Arsenal are paying that in instalments, over 3 years (Arsenal wanted to do it over 5 years, West Ham refused). So - in round figures - West Ham will have 30 million to spend this summer but they're after several players.

So I suspect, even if they came straight in with a bid of 25 million, they'd want to structure the payments in a way that might not be what we're looking for. And for that reason, we might not accept their bid and, instead, accept a slightly lower one from another club who are willing to pay more up front.

There's a post somewhere on this thread stating that part of the problem with the offer from Wolves was that we want more than 10 million up front, which they couldn't do (never mind the fact they also couldn't get near our asking price).

Only problem with that is Scott will know the offers and probably refuse the Bournemouth one and choose West ham

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

West Ham haven't got 25 million to slap on the table. And no transfer is structured in such a way these days anyway. 

Bournemouth were offering 15m upfront with add ons. West Ham are about to receive 33m for rice too with the rest coming over the next 18 months. Not saying they’d slap 25m down, was just an hypothesis. Was more suggesting that if both clubs offered a package of 25m with add ons we’d accept whoever was offering the biggest down payment as that benefits us more. So that was my thinking of how a bidding war would go, not one club offering more of a transfer fee but maybe putting down more for an upfront fee than the other. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I also do recall a comment by SL in April though, sticks in the mind in his pre game interview before Burnley.

"What football makes, football can spend".

If we do make £25m and it's pure profit remember, could we put £10-15m back in.

Not on fees as such but amortisation, fees, loan fees etc. Clearly increase or decrease a bit subject to final fee, either in percentage or absolute terms.

Screenshot_20230714-115049_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9f986ade40d672a83d7462aa573165c5.jpg

Maybe we can finally get some sort of club crest on the exterior of the Lansdown stand….unless Jon says he wants to pick the design

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Negan said:

Bournemouth were offering 15m upfront with add ons. West Ham are about to receive 33m for rice too with the rest coming over the next 18 months. Not saying they’d slap 25m down, was just an hypothesis. Was more suggesting that if both clubs offered a package of 25m with add ons we’d accept whoever was offering the biggest down payment as that benefits us more. So that was my thinking of how a bidding war would go, not one club offering more of a transfer fee but maybe putting down more for an upfront fee than the other. 

Instalments vs cash flow vs amortisation. Two if not three different areas for buying clubs.

Selling Clubs

*The full fee is banked in the year of the transaction. Fee - Book Value. Scott is an academy product so a Book Value of £0 or near as dammit. Profit.

*Unless there is a sell-on fee of any kind to Guernsey. If there is then he goes for £25m - I dunno say 15 pct. We have £21.25m profit on disposal.

*Instalments. Cash Flow, come under Debtors and transfer fees due.

*Cash Flow, instalments again partially come under this.

SL can top this up whenever but a nicely structured deal could relieve a little bit of pressure on him in terms of how much cash gap he has to fill in the next couple of years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Instalments vs cash flow vs amortisation. Two if not three different areas.

Im aware of that. I’m just saying I don’t think the bidding war will be like an auction if it comes to that where Bournemouth offer 25m, then West Ham 27, then Bournemouth back in again at 29 etc like some here are thinking. More it will be 25 million that one bids which gets accepted and then the other matches it, then both clubs will try and out “package deal” the other with bigger upfront fee or better/more achievable add ons. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True, no immediate hurry.

At what point would you start to get edgy over it, if at all? Remember he can talk to European clubs from the final 6 months of his deal to line up a free agent move if it comes down to that.

Next summer, once he has led us to promotion ?. There are risks with any choice, but I think he will improve with another season, and despite the shorter remaining contract period actually be worth more next year.

The gamble isn’t £25M , but the difference between that figure and next year’s value, a gamble worth taking 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Next summer, once he has led us to promotion ?. There are risks with any choice, but I think he will improve with another season, and despite the shorter remaining contract period actually be worth more next year.

The gamble isn’t £25M , but the difference between that figure and next year’s value, a gamble worth taking 

I'm sure he'll improve and especially given the fact the team itself has improved and are on an even keel not as we were, fire-fighting for 12 to 18 months. On and off the pitch, youth being blooded, costs being cut, unable to replace with the ideal amount of funds..that's a tough environment let alone for young players (Scott, Bell, Conway) to properly come into. Now we have had a bit of scope to strengthen, he has two years under his belt and there is a very positive environment IMO.

Whether he would be worth more remains to be seen simply due to the nature of contracts declining in lie with as but I'd be more than comfortable with keeping for another year.

I accepted Semenyo going due to FFP concerns and it enabled us to bring some business forward but I do hope Scott if he goes is the last big sale for some time. We did some significant financial hard yards for 18 months. I just wanna see what he can do when there is some room to breathe, clearish of FFP and the squad revamped a bit as it has been..would be great.

• Like 4

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring

James Scott

Bell        Knight      Mehmeti

Conway

Doesn't that look good!

(Unsure when Atkinson or Benarous are available once more). (Ah just Googled- Dickie is right footed).

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Yep. Not sure what part of "His price is £25M" some don't understand.

I think a few people are starting to panic, because they're worried he'll start to lose value (contract length) or if he goes late in the window, we wont have time to add to the squad before 1st September.

I don't think the club will panic though. The price is set, pay it or don't darken our door.

Let’s be clear, it was £25m in January, then in March it was more than £25m - things change we could have reassessed and want 30m or even be happy with 18m - things change, I really don’t get why some of you are so fixated on a figure mentioned in passing months ago

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BarnzFM said:

Let’s be clear, it was £25m in January, then in March it was more than £25m - things change we could have reassessed and want 30m or even be happy with 18m - things change, I really don’t get why some of you are so fixated on a figure mentioned in passing months ago

If anyone offers 22 million plus add ons of say 2/3 million will take it 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm sure he'll improve and especially given the fact the team itself has improved and are on an even keel not as we were, fire-fighting for 12 to 18 months. On and off the pitch, youth being blooded, costs being cut, unable to replace with the ideal amount of funds..that's a tough environment let alone for young players (Scott, Bell, Conway) to properly come into. Now we have had a bit of scope to strengthen, he has two years under his belt and there is a very positive environment IMO.

Whether he would be worth more remains to be seen simply due to the nature of contracts declining in lie with as but I'd be more than comfortable with keeping for another year.

I accepted Semenyo going due to FFP concerns and it enabled us to bring some business forward but I do hope Scott if he goes is the last big sale for some time. We did some significant financial hard yards for 18 months. I just wanna see what he can do when there is some room to breathe, clearish of FFP and the squad revamped a bit as it has been..would be great.

So we agree, there is a gamble , but one we can afford to take, but this window is not the one to sell. And with Scott we have what looks to be a squad that can challenge at the top of this division.

So let’s send a message, and retain Scott, and actually go for it ⚽⚽⚽

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unless there is a sell-on fee of any kind to Guernsey. If there is then he goes for £25m - I dunno say 15 pct. We have £21.25m profit on disposal.

Someone posted that Guernsey aren’t entitled and are unable to demand a sell on . 
I am sure Uncle Steve will look after them though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Maybe we can finally get some sort of club crest on the exterior of the Lansdown stand….unless Jon says he wants to pick the design

I wouldn't hold my breath even if Jon said it was going to happen. Still waiting for a fitting tribute to Terry Cooper and I'll probably be in my grave before anything us put on the blank frontage of the Dolman Stand or a tribute is made to Chris Garland. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Only problem with that is Scott will know the offers and probably refuse the Bournemouth one and choose West ham

Not if we don't accept West Ham's offer! 

For all we know, we might accept a couple of million less if another club was happy to pay more up front.

Who knows! Thank god we don't have players this good very often, eh? It's giving us all a headache. 

Oh for the old days, when Manager X would meet Manager Y in a motorway service station, agree a fee  exchange brown manila envelopes and then go for pints of wine to celebrate. 

So much easier. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Negan said:

Gotcha and agreed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grey Fox said:

So we agree, there is a gamble , but one we can afford to take, but this window is not the one to sell. And with Scott we have what looks to be a squad that can challenge at the top of this division.

So let’s send a message, and retain Scott, and actually go for it ⚽⚽⚽

Does the player get a say in this?

• Haha 1