IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

9 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

That's what most said about Lloyd Kelly, personally think he'll struggle to stand out plying his trade at Bournemouth.

If Alex becomes / is that good, he will stand out regardless of what team he plays for.  Maybe Lloyd Kelly didn’t stand out at Bournemouth as he isn’t that good…..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

With the way the squad currently looks, we have depth in most areas. 

Through the money received for Scott, you would hope to add a couple of players with real quality where it matters. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see A GK, CM and ST (competition for Conway) arrive. 

One final CB is already a possibility due to Kalas, but it could yet be an academy graduate who is promoted to the 1st team.

Callum Wood, Jamie knight-lebel and Raphael araoye are all appreciated by Nige.

I think we've used the Semenyo money to fill the gaps in our squad and just like you say, I think the Scott money will be used to strengthen areas. 

I think the positions you mention are exactly what we'll be looking at. 

I'm also interested in what happens with Vyner. So money may be used for two centre backs. 

5 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

That's what most said about Lloyd Kelly, personally think he'll struggle to stand out plying his trade at Bournemouth.

I think that if he's good enough for better things then his stats will show it in the medium term and he'll get a move. At the moment there is no urgency for a top six club to sign him and they will all have better options available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think that if he's good enough for better things then his stats will show it in the medium term and he'll get a move. At the moment there is no urgency for a top six club to sign him and they will all have better options available.

Final year of contract however, likewise Brownhill. Clubs will soon have a decision to make sell or bank on value on pitch and risk losing for free.

4 hours ago, Bcfcshags said:

Been told Bournemouth aren’t far away from matching our valuation (20m + add ons) although West Ham is his preferred destination. Let’s see what comes in the next few days! 

Ugh. West Ham. Not a great club to deal with. I know when they went to sign Benrahma from Brentford, they kept trying to change the deal, then when everything was agreed, at the last minute once everything was agreed with the player, they changed it again to a season long loan with an obligation to buy.

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

My guess is that his agent has been urged to hit the phones this weekend with an ‘anywhere in the Prem. before Bournemouth ‘ instruction. I understand and respect the food chain. They are ‘bigger’, better and wealthier than us, now and for the foreseeable future. Scott will welcome a huge wage rise that we can’t possibly match. But ultimately Bournemouth is dull seaside retirement home, with a Toytown ground and attendances about half of hours. And if you’re in the glory game, which football is, and you have options, which Scott does, that’s got to matter. 

Toy town ground ????.    Some teams ( I dare not mention ) would be so happy with that 

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was interest but when you're in the PL and have Parachute Payments and a much laxer FFP as it was then there is little forcing a club to sell. Sure Newcastle were heavily interested under Howe in 2022 but Bournemouth needed him for promotion and once promotion no need to sell at all.

They were just about within FFP and they clearly placed faith in keeping him taking them up.

Burnley had some cash flow issues but Brownhill was deemed unsellable.

Shows their quality.

So Bournemouth and Burnley, to get promoted kept their key talent, rather than sell, despite financial concerns. Would it not be wonderful if Bristol City could for once show the same ambition . 

And yes, I will continue to bang on 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

So Bournemouth and Burnley, to get promoted kept their key talent, rather than sell, despite financial concerns. Would it not be wonderful if Bristol City could for once show the same ambition . 

Deal can’t be close as he is starting the second half

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was interest but when you're in the PL and have Parachute Payments and a much laxer FFP as it was then there is little forcing a club to sell. Sure Newcastle were heavily interested under Howe in 2022 but Bournemouth needed him for promotion and once promotion no need to sell at all.

They were just about within FFP and they clearly placed faith in keeping him taking them up.

Burnley had some cash flow issues but Brownhill was deemed unsellable.

Shows their quality.

I mean, we did pull in over £100m in transfer fees plus release on free transfers 11 high earners from the first team squad, including players that were ahead of Kelly in the pecking order. It isn't like we didn't have a massive clear out and raise a lot of funds so hanging on to some of the younger prospects seems reasonable enough.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

We sold our key talent - Ake, Wilson, Ramsdale, Danjuma...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gotta laugh at how some people assume if he's sold we'll start chucking the money around on more expensive signings. No one at the club has even insinuated that.
More expensive signings usually come with a wage commensurate with the fee, So given our wage max is a reputed £12k a week (I'm sure I read on here) then that's probably why we have been paying the fees we have.
We now have a wage structure which was/is long overdue and means everyone is earning about the same once established. Anyone coming in on big money will destroy the harmony and balance and I don't believe NP will allow that to happen.
We can still find gems in the range we've been shopping in, no reason why that can't continue.
I don't get this "oh look, we've come into £25 mill let's spend spend spend mentality"... Sure, fill the gaps where they exist and buy cover, but we've done bloated squads before and look where that got us.

Edited by Philly The Kid
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

It would be wonderful, yes, if we showed that ambition/indifference to modern day football realities. It would be wonderful if football was as we wished it would be, and Bristol City were able to move about and operate within it, as if we were Manchester City. It would be wonderful if by merely showing ambition, everything would fall in to place for Bristol City. It would be wonderful if FFP was just a figment of Mr Popodopolous's festive fiscal imagination. I wish it could be Christmas every day. I wish we could just do what we did in 75/6 with Merrick and Ritchie in 2023 and the rest of the Championship took a year off and we got promoted.

Wouldn't that be wonderful? 

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

Did also play there in the academy. And from the sounds of it wasn’t treated exceptionally well. Might also play a factor. 

From what I read, he came to us from the Southampton academy,  who, I think, released. Not sure on that bit. Whilst there, they had been paying half the cost of his flights and hotels but our youth team didn't have the budget for that back then so his parents were having to pay it. Not sure that's a case of treating him badly, more a case that the youth team wasn't well funded and wasn't able to contribute at that stage. From what he said though, the move back to Guernsey was a good thing for him so maybe it worked out best for all parties in the end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kirsikka said:

From what I read, he came to us from the Southampton academy,  who, I think, released. Not sure on that bit. Whilst there, they had been paying half the cost of his flights and hotels but our youth team didn't have the budget for that back then so his parents were having to pay it. Not sure that's a case of treating him badly, more a case that the youth team wasn't well funded and wasn't able to contribute at that stage. From what he said though, the move back to Guernsey was a good thing for him so maybe it worked out best for all parties in the end.

He was also at Bournemouth as a schoolboy. Didn't get on very well there. Surprised if he agrees to go there.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He was also at Bournemouth as a schoolboy. Didn't get on very well there. Surprised if he agrees to go there.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Hang on, I did know that. It's exactly what I said:

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/May/23/alex-scott-grassroots-story-20230523

Edited by Kirsikka

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes at something like 14-15 years of age.  Your previous post seems to imply you were talking about Bournemouth???

Yeah, I probably wasn't clear. What I meant was Southampton released him, AFCB picked him up but didn't have the money in the youth setup to pay for flights and hotels so he decided to quit, which is fair enough. He details it in the link. Wasn't a case of the club treating him badly, which may leave a bad impression, more a case of the wrong move at the wrong time as we weren't able to fund him and it sounded like he craved a slightly more normal life for a couple of years before he was ready to make the move again at an older age, this time to you.

Edited by Kirsikka
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It would be wonderful, yes, if we showed that ambition/indifference to modern day football realities. It would be wonderful if football was as we wished it would be, and Bristol City were able to move about and operate within it, as if we were Manchester City. It would be wonderful if by merely showing ambition, everything would fall in to place for Bristol City. It would be wonderful if FFP was just a figment of Mr Popodopolous's festive fiscal imagination. I wish it could be Christmas every day. I wish we could just do what we did in 75/6 with Merrick and Ritchie in 2023 and the rest of the Championship took a year off and we got promoted.

Wouldn't that be wonderful? 

To have ambition, to dream, to rise above the mediocre, to support a club who could actually win something. Try it sometime 

Rice has now official signed for Arsenal on beeb. £105m, will be transfer movement around that, but will it affect our Alex?

Edited by wtf

13 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

To have ambition, to dream, to rise above the mediocre, to support a club who could actually win something. Try it sometime 

You make it all sound so simple. So we simply keep Alex potentially against his wishes of playing in the Premier League and hope he's happy enough to contribute to a promotion or not and he goes for considerably less.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You make it all sound so simple. So we simply keep Alex potentially against his wishes of playing in the Premier League and hope he's happy enough to contribute to a promotion or not and he goes for considerably less.

Simple or idiotic.

You wanted to go to Wolves in January Alex, but we said stay until the summer & if we get a decent offer you can leave then.

We won’t sell you now either, so you carry on earning a tenth of what you’d get if you move & we’ve got Rotherham & Hull up soon..

Definitely going to be really motivated..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Thinking about what Shags said £20 million plus add ons could be good for us. One good season, holding his own in the Prem,  and he will probably be snapped up by a bigger team meaning we get funds next season as well. 

The only concern is that Bournemouth sell Scott on to another P.L. club in some form of exchange deal. This will then have a huge impact upon any agreed sell on value to us. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Tbf Kelly has been on the verge of some really big moves. Was very close to a big ££££ to Newcastle but then believe Botman became available iirc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1