IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

You make it sound like it takes an hour to get a deal done. Remember the agent is working everyone here to get the best deal for Scott.  If someone bids £25m then we would accept anyway but that club wouldn’t have an advantage in getting Scott unless nobody else bid £25m.  

Silly me. I thought you just turned up with a lorry containing £25m in used notes, plonked it on the table and walked off with the player. 

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

What will happen in your scenario (assuming £25m meets the amount / terms required) is either:

- we say thanks, yes, let’s wrap it up (unlikely, Alex Scott is key to this decision)

- we say thanks, but we have other interested clubs, and we need Alex’s view on this (most likely)

- we reject it and try to get more (unlikely, they’ve met the asking amount / terms

- other variants on the above.

Depends who the club is too.

Alex played yesterday with a bid in.  We are playing this well.

Or, Dave, we say (in my specific scenario where a club really wants him and wants to get it done): ‘Alex/Alex’s agent, xx FC want you. We think it’s a fair price. They want to get it done and want to move quickly to beat their competitors. But might withdraw if a bidding war starts. What do you think? They need a quick decision.’

I’m looking at this purely from the position of a club that really wants him but doesn’t want a daft bidding war. 

I think we are playing this perfectly well. But surely we can’t and won’t say no to a straight up £25m. Imagine that club withdrawing if we said ‘hold on for a bit’, and then no one else was prepared to pay our price. And then Alex Scott does an ACL in September. That’s a worst case scenario but it’s also part of the subtle negotiating leverage for a buying club. 

Anyway, it’s just one strand of a potentially tangled negotiating web. All I did was put forward the pretty uncontroversial view that if you really want him, then offer the cash, make it clear the offer is there for a (relatively) quick deal to avoid a bidding war. 

If I’m a PL club, that’s  my strategy to get what I want. Everyone else can have their own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Or, Dave, we say (in my specific scenario where a club really wants him and wants to get it done): ‘Alex/Alex’s agent, xx FC want you. We think it’s a fair price. They want to get it done and want to move quickly to beat their competitors. But might withdraw if a bidding war starts. What do you think? They need a quick decision.’

I’m looking at this purely from the position of a club that really wants him but doesn’t want a daft bidding war. 

I think we are playing this perfectly well. But surely we can’t and won’t say no to a straight up £25m. Imagine that club withdrawing if we said ‘hold on for a bit’, and then no one else was prepared to pay our price. And then Alex Scott does an ACL in September. That’s a worst case scenario but it’s also part of the subtle negotiating leverage for a buying club. 

Anyway, it’s just one strand of a potentially tangled negotiating web. All I did was put forward the pretty uncontroversial view that if you really want him, then offer the cash, make it clear the offer is there for a (relatively) quick deal to avoid a bidding war. 

If I’m a PL club, that’s  my strategy to get what I want. Everyone else can have their own. 

Have the decency to pay the reasonable price that is asked by a poorer club . The extra few million will make absolutely no difference to the Prem club but a huge amount to a Championship one. 
Then everyone’s happy . 

• Like 6

Wolves apparent bid of either £20m [Telegrapgh] or £22m [Mail] rejected https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12305877/Wolves-improved-22m-offer-Bristol-Citys-Alex-Scott-rejected.html

6 hours ago, George Rs said:

Hopefully wolves will offer 22 and we will turn it down ?

Wolves apparent bid of either £20m [Telegrapgh] or £22m [Mail] rejected

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12305877/Wolves-improved-22m-offer-Bristol-Citys-Alex-Scott-rejected.html

As Bristol City are seen as an Unfashionable club by lots of Premier league sides, they seem to think there is no-way a team like us could have a player so valuable so they offer us peanuts thinking we will snap there hands off

When a club does finally stump up the asking price they will look back in years to come and say what a bargain they had

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We'll see, personally i think he's got higher ambitions than Bournemouth, wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two other teams asking Scott's agent to be "kept in the picture"

I keep thinking that Guardiola had the best view of him in a serious match . To judge how good someone is, it is a huge bonus to have seen Scott playing against a considerable number of his first teamers and he was seriously impressed.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We'll see, personally i think he's got higher ambitions than Bournemouth, wouldn't be surprised if there are one or two other teams asking Scott's agent to be "kept in the picture"

I'm certain he has bigger ambitions than bournemouth - thats not to say he wouldnt sign for bournemouth as a stepping stone - if not other club has a bid accepted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George Rs said:

Might be a stupid question, but I am hopelessly uneducated on football financials/ffp ?.

Why would our ffp or cash flow be a consideration for the bidding club? 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think Dave is referring to the buying clubs finances.

I was indeed….although there is of course the advantage of knowing the selling club’s financial state, because you can push them…like we did to QPR with Dickie.  I don’t think any of us thought we’d be going for Dickie, let alone at £700k.  But once there was talk (in the football-world) of him not wanting to tie down his future, knowing QPR are a bit strapped means you can go in aggressively.

2 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I think we've all been missing something here.

If 2 clubs bid £25million for him, we accept BOTH offers and don't tell the other.  £50million just like that.  

It's simple really, I'm surprised no one else has thought about this ever in the whole history of football...

Kia Joorabchim - “it’s why I’m a zillionaire” ???

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Yes, agree, kinda falls into my middle example (variant of), it needs Alex….if say West Ham bid the agreed amount, and that’s who Alex wants to go to / or is happy to go with that club ….then yep, they might as well agree to conclude immediately.

57 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

And not every club bids in the public domain.

• Like 3

Does anyone else want to see Moises Caicedo move club before Scott starts discussing terms with anyone? If Caicedo goes then Brighton will have more money and one less midfielder and I'd love to see that spring them into action with Scott as I'd much rather see him go to Brighton than Wolves and especially Bournemouth who's fans seem to think they can just buy any player they like from us and we should just accept whatever they offer.

• Like 2

We're only asking for about another 10% on what Wolves have offered, I think they'll come back with a deal worth £25m. Could that trigger another club who have yet to show their hand? I think it might and Wolves plus one other will be his choices.

Don't see an out amd out bidding war between multiple clubs taking it over £25m, would love that though!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

We're only asking for about another 10% on what Wolves have offered, I think they'll come back with a deal worth £25m. Could that trigger another club who have yet to show their hand? I think it might and Wolves plus one other will be his choices.

Don't see an out amd out bidding war between multiple clubs taking it over £25m, would love that though!

But despite media hype it's never a bidding war is it. A club makes an offer which is acceptable to us and that gets them the opportunity to sit down and speak properly to Scott and his agent. If another club comes up with an acceptable offer then they too will get the opportunity to speak to Scott. 

5 minutes ago, Gazred said:

One thing it does do is make clubs break cover.

When Bournemouth bid £15m, it was so far away from our “seat at the table” price there was no chance of it being taken. Teams could hang back.

Wolves are going to hit the £25m this week, I don’t think any of us doubt that. In doing so, they force the hand of anyone who is interested - be that West Ham, Brighton or the more fanciful names of Inter and Man City. Basically if teams want Scott, they need to go now. And that may mean a bidding war yet.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Does anyone else want to see Moises Caicedo move club before Scott starts discussing terms with anyone? If Caicedo goes then Brighton will have more money and one less midfielder and I'd love to see that spring them into action with Scott as I'd much rather see him go to Brighton than Wolves and especially Bournemouth who's fans seem to think they can just buy any player they like from us and we should just accept whatever they offer.

Especially with the amount of money they are demanding for Caicedo.

I think to make this transfer more fun we should incorporate the following:

1. A sweepstakes as to how many pages this post is on, when it the deal is announced.
  2. Prize money for the winner to come from the fee
  3. Photo op will be the winner shaking hands with Alex.  Alex handing over prize money and the winner handing over bound volume of this entire post

It could even be a TV mini series .... it would be better than Love Island

Edited by soultrader
i cant spell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon a deal would get done if someone bid £24 million. Not saying we'd accept the bid but the distance would be close enough that I imagine there'd be haggling to a point of agreement. 

They are Premier league clubs. 1 million to them is nothing. To us it's a lot of money. Don't understand why some consider that we should be charitable towards premier league clubs. It's 25 million plus..

• Like 10