IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

38 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Wolves after Tommy Doyle now so that may rule them out from Scott, and Bournemouth priced out of it. Time for the bigger boys to come in with real offers

Smokescreen / agent talk hoping to put pressure on us. All part of the game.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

59 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

One thing it does do is make clubs break cover.

When Bournemouth bid £15m, it was so far away from our “seat at the table” price there was no chance of it being taken. Teams could hang back.

Wolves are going to hit the £25m this week, I don’t think any of us doubt that. In doing so, they force the hand of anyone who is interested - be that West Ham, Brighton or the more fanciful names of Inter and Man City. Basically if teams want Scott, they need to go now. And that may mean a bidding war yet.

What we’ve gleaned over the past few days (in my head at least!) is that City aren’t backing down.  Add to that, Alex playing on Saturday, I think shows City / Alex (his agent) working together…which is actually really encouraging.

Let’s just assume £25m is the magic number, then I think it then becomes all about Alex and who he wants to go to, out of those who meet that.  The bidding war is with him, not City….if money is the driver….I doubt it.  He will pick the club that best suits his needs now and ambitions.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I reckon a deal would get done if someone bid £24 million. Not saying we'd accept the bid but the distance would be close enough that I imagine there'd be haggling to a point of agreement. 

Yep, with extra money for survival/ number of appearances/ england caps etc, the final figures will all be around the 25 mark to some degree?!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What we’ve gleaned over the past few days (in my head at least!) is that City aren’t backing down.  Add to that, Alex playing on Saturday, I think shows City / Alex (his agent) working together…which is actually really encouraging.

Let’s just assume £25m is the magic number, then I think it then becomes all about Alex and who he wants to go to, out of those who meet that.  The bidding war is with him, not City….if money is the driver….I doubt it.  He will pick the club that best suits his needs now and ambitions.

I agree, 25m is the price, thats it.

There is no "bidding war", its not in the clubs long term interest to indulge in one.

It does seem that Alex and his agent are playing ball with the club, but for how long ? If we go another couple of weeks and City have turned down 22m or 23m , they may get a bit jumpy and push for City to accept a lower fee (provided there is a club that suits Alex).

I read somewhere that City are being intransigent or inflexible with the price, but the fact is they have publicly said all along the fee is 25m so it seems to me that its the bidding clubs that are being inflexible - just pay the 25m or walk away, don't bleat about it.

Still not 100% convinced that an EPL club will pay the full 25m even though a couple seem to be getting close.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Midred said:

Have Newcastle shown any interest yet?

I'm surprised that they haven't been strongly linked. Dan Ashworth (Sporting Director) is a savvy guy when it comes to transfers and Newcastle under the new ownership have been pretty measyred in the transfer market.

I'd have thought Alex Scott would be seen as a prudent investment.

• Like 1

I question whether Wolves or Bournemouth are really great for Scott’s development.

Bournemouth have a squad that punched above their weight last season and Gary O’Neil did well to keep them up.

Wolves have recently lost Ruben Neves and Moutinho, both are players that could have been beneficial to Scott’s development but unsure there’s really any outstanding players for Scott to learn from.

Both clubs will need to seriously hit the ground running to avoid being in a relegation battle.

Of course, it’s an opportunity to step up to the Premier League but it wouldn’t be a great move to step up and come back down.

It may be better for Scott to stick around for another season, if he adds goals and assists to his game, you’d expect some solid interest to come from stronger teams.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm surprised that they haven't been strongly linked. Dan Ashworth (Sporting Director) is a savvy guy when it comes to transfers and Newcastle under the new ownership have been pretty measyred in the transfer market.

Ffp.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They are Premier league clubs. 1 million to them is nothing. To us it's a lot of money. Don't understand why some consider that we should be charitable towards premier league clubs. It's 25 million plus..

I'm not saying we will or should be charitable. I'm simply saying that once the clubs are that close on price, there will be ways that both sides will work to find an agreement. That might be the club going up to the asking price, might be additional clauses or might be a loan or similar but at that point I'd be really surprised if either club walked away from the negotiating table until something was agreed. 

22 minutes ago, mozo said:

They have FFP issues and are trying to sign Harvey Barnes but need to offload first.

45 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Why argue over a million???...

If it's 24 & structured to our liking I'd think that may do it .

Because it's to our advantage. A seat at the table costs £25M, not £24m, not £24.5M, not £24.9M but £25M. It's at £25M that add ons get negotiated and at nothing less. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

I question whether Wolves or Bournemouth are really great for Scott’s development.

Bournemouth have a squad that punched above their weight last season and Gary O’Neil did well to keep them up.

Wolves have recently lost Ruben Neves and Moutinho, both are players that could have been beneficial to Scott’s development but unsure there’s really any outstanding players for Scott to learn from.

Both clubs will need to seriously hit the ground running to avoid being in a relegation battle.

Of course, it’s an opportunity to step up to the Premier League but it wouldn’t be a great move to step up and come back down.

It may be better for Scott to stick around for another season, if he adds goals and assists to his game, you’d expect some solid interest to come from stronger teams.

Sorry but have to disagree with that. If either goes down and Scott has played 30 odd games for them and shown that he can more than handle himself in the top division, he will by definition be a Premier League player. He would  / could then be sold to a better Premier League club for circa £40m (as a proven Premier League player) this time next year.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

They have FFP issues and are trying to sign Harvey Barnes but need to offload first.

And have allegedly bid £82m for Kvaratskhelia from Napoli, though I doubt they will succeed.

Eddie Howe is said to be getting a bit twitchy about signings but as you say they actually take FFP seriously.

Having signed Tonali their midfield seems to be sorted anyway.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Sorry but have to disagree with that. If either goes down and Scott has played 30 odd games for them and shown that he can more than handle himself in the top division, he will by definition be a Premier League player. He would  / could then be sold to a better Premier League club for circa £40m (as a proven Premier League player) this time next year.

We all thought that with Josh Brownhill and LLoyd Kelly (as previously mentioned).
Doesn't always happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Which is what i've been saying from word go but for some reason been getting a load of stick for !!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

We all thought that with Josh Brownhill and LLoyd Kelly (as previously mentioned).
Doesn't always happen.

These little lucky breaks don't seem to really fall our way as a club do they. A bit like penalties and evening out of poor calls.

Birmingham have been saved x 3 in a Bellingham context. £25m in 2020, £10m sell-on fee and his brother going for £1.5m plus add-ons...I'd assume rhe main reason for the third is because of who his brother is.

Stoke sold Collins, Burnley go down, sell-on fee within the year.

In respect of Kelly and Brownhill, it's more their value to the club that made the club bent on keeping them.

Kelly

Bournemouth were never going to sell him in the PL were they. Some big fees for others and they deemed him to be of great importance. Coming down and in a promotion push, narrowly within FFP and contract until 2024 he was staying put!

Staying up also meant no grand incentive to sell. Bournemouth were perhaps demanding £50m as per one report.

Brownhill

Burnley were in a superb FFP position and good cash reserves. Players such as the aforementioned Collins, then Cornet with his buyout fee, Pope of course- either way decks cleared quite well. Kompany last August declared Brownhill to be unsellable. Again contract until 2024, had they stayed down maybe different.

Went up, again not going to sell.

Also Parachute Payments. Can't forget this distortion and ability to keep more easily. From last August.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/josh-brownhill-leicester-southampton-transfer-24898094

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Silly me. I thought you just turned up with a lorry containing £25m in used notes, plonked it on the table and walked off with the player. 

You know this did make me laugh! The involvement of various agency’s in big sports deals is part and parcel of the exchange of finance where sums are eye watering. 

25 m probably won’t garner much interest, however not knowing anything about who owns and back Wolves I could be mistaken. Buying sports clubs is route one to launder money, Particularly if it is coming from the USA. The FBI keep a close eye on the super big deals and I suspect are pretty diligent in tracking money flowing into English football from US sources.

Couple that with Middle Eastern Sports washing, a slightly different concept but I would suggest not completely different, your analogy tickled me! 

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Not that we know of but would never surprise me if they or a club like that come in last minute and trump everyone. 

It would be quite amusing if while Wolves and Bournemouth are haggling over a million here and there.......  another club swept in out of the blue with the £25 mill offer.   But really i do hope that Alex stays, but it is seeming less likely?

• Like 1

Re Newcastle and FFP, that might be a red herring. They’re currently trying to offload Alain Saint-Maximam to a Saudi club. Both Newcastle and the Saudi club are owned by the same people. It’s basically Watford but on a bigger scale and can - if not solve - certainly ease FFP due to ownership.

Doesn’t mean they’re in for Scott. But if they want to be, they can be

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Re Newcastle and FFP, that might be a red herring. They’re currently trying to offload Alain Saint-Maximam to a Saudi club. Both Newcastle and the Saudi club are owned by the same people. It’s basically Watford but on a bigger scale and can - if not solve - certainly ease FFP due to ownership.

Doesn’t mean they’re in for Scott. But if they save to be, they can be

That would just allow them to buy Barnes.

Eddie Howe has said he doesn't want to lose anybody from his squad but his hand is being forced by FFP. The owners have given him a fixed budget, which seems to be irritating him.

Gone are the days when Newcastle fans thought they would be signing Mbappe.?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

That would just allow them to buy Barnes.

Eddie Howe has said he doesn't want to lose anybody from his squad but his hand is being forced by FFP. The owners have given him a fixed budget, which seems to be irritating him.

Gone are the days when Newcastle fans thought they would be signing Mbappe.?

Done strong business so far tbh.

Players like Pope (relative bargain for the level), Botman, Guimares, Isak- not saying the last 3 were wildly cheap but bigger, richer or more established clubs could absolutely have taken the chance tbh.

Definitely no paupers but others could have taken the chance. Trippier and Burn although older and more known quantities cost £25m the pair.

Of course it could easily have gone belly-up or at least midtable 12th or similar and then the cost pressures start to kick in.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

But despite media hype it's never a bidding war is it. A club makes an offer which is acceptable to us and that gets them the opportunity to sit down and speak properly to Scott and his agent. If another club comes up with an acceptable offer then they too will get the opportunity to speak to Scott. 

Yes and no. It’s always going to be a bidding war until the figure acceptable to the club is hit. Thus little Bristol City <insert EFL club here> are seen as a club that needs the cash and can be leveraged, which is exactly what we are seeing with the bids now, thus it is a bidding war until there is an acceptable bid. Luckily we have Mr Lansdown, the like of QPR have to sell at knock down prices. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree, 25m is the price, thats it.

There is no "bidding war", its not in the clubs long term interest to indulge in one.

It does seem that Alex and his agent are playing ball with the club, but for how long ? If we go another couple of weeks and City have turned down 22m or 23m , they may get a bit jumpy and push for City to accept a lower fee (provided there is a club that suits Alex).

I read somewhere that City are being intransigent or inflexible with the price, but the fact is they have publicly said all along the fee is 25m so it seems to me that its the bidding clubs that are being inflexible - just pay the 25m or walk away, don't bleat about it.

Still not 100% convinced that an EPL club will pay the full 25m even though a couple seem to be getting close.

We, or I suggest, nearly everybody else doesn’t know if Scott wants to go to either Wolves or Bournemouth. The kid and his agent can afford to sit tight for now do his preseason and see what happens between now and the end of August. 

Im personally not convinced that Wolverhampton or Bournemouth are not unwitting stalking horses.