IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I cant really see, even with scott staying, that we will pull ourselves up 14 places based on the signings weve made? What from the last 8 years would give us any evidence that this will be our season finally?! If we could cut down on weak goals conceded and finish top 10 that would be a result as far as i can see.

Indeed, and while there only friendlies, the goals we've conceded are preventable no doubt nige and the team will be working hard on that, so there is little point reading into it,

But we need a 200% improvement on defending 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Looks like he'll be off to Wolves. Really hope at least half of the money is reinvested in this summer

Not a chance. I wouldnt expect anymore than £5m to be spent. The rest used to dent a big FFP hole, with the option of a bit of it in Jan if we really needed backup or a push for playoffs etc. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I cant really see, even with scott staying, that we will pull ourselves up 14 places based on the signings weve made? What from the last 8 years would give us any evidence that this will be our season finally?! If we could cut down on weak goals conceded and finish top 10 that would be a result as far as i can see.

It’s not just about what signings you make…..it’s about a group of players clicking and being comfortable in the formation/way of playing.

Yes we have to defend better and we have brought 3 defenders into the club this summer to hopefully sort that. If we can continue the front foot football we saw more of last season with the abundance of pace and movement and improve the goals conceded column, we have every chance of competing for a playoff spot

• Like 2

Talk of Wolves and £25 million on Twitter now.

One thing I will say, I have every faith that Tinns and Pearson can immediately pull a trigger and get wheels in motion on some new post-Scott signings.

BUT we're not there yet. Let's see where this goes. 

6 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

It’s not just about what signings you make…..it’s about a group of players clicking and being comfortable in the formation/way of playing.

Yes we have to defend better and we have brought 3 defenders into the club this summer to hopefully sort that. If we can continue the front foot football we saw more of last season with the abundance of pace and movement and improve the goals conceded column, we have every chance of competing for a playoff spot

Well we will have to see,, obviously we all hope we do, i still see us as “bullyable” all over, especially at the back, with the best will in the world oleary isnt a top end championship keeper, and if anything happens to him then god help up if bajic has to play a run of games. Conway and bell are our best hope of goals, if conway is sold or is out for any period of time, we will seriously lack the x factor to be competing.

32 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

Looks like he'll be off to Wolves. Really hope at least half of the money is reinvested in this summer

The problem with reinvesting the money isn't so much the £12.5million spent on fees for say five players but the at least five fold increase in wages for those new signings compared to Scott.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Doesn’t really matter though imo. With 18 months left, and definitely with 12, clubs know you risk losing your best asset for free in the not too distant future so have that extra bargaining power. Even with the season of his life, his value won’t be above £25m in January purely for that fact.

I could be wrong but purely from a transfer value perspective, this is the prime time to sell imo. Though I obviously hope we keep hold of him, who knows what we could achieve if we manage to do so.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

Would love a contract extension with £25m release clause, to settle it all down. Then in the short term see what happens by Jan ? 

I think if he is still here on 1st Sept, he will sign a new contract.  He needs to protect himself too.

14 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

One thing I will say, I have every faith that Tinns and Pearson can immediately pull a trigger and get wheels in motion on some new post-Scott signings.

I’m waiting for Percy predominantly to put news out there.

Again, I don’t think he would’ve played yesterday if a new bid was being put together yesterday.  Of course it might come today, but I think those putting stuff out on Twitter last night were speculating.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Not a chance. I wouldnt expect anymore than £5m to be spent. The rest used to dent a big FFP hole, with the option of a bit of it in Jan if we really needed backup or a push for playoffs etc. 

I think it depends on what you mean by spent; on transfer fees, no but on packages maybe.

Remembering that a 3 year contract at £10Kpw will cost you £1.5M, a player bought for a fee of £1.5M is actually a cost of £3M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

They would of already started the process even before bids were known about

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

They would of already started the process even before bids were known about

They should make a play for Jack Rudoni if Scott goes.  No idea what he would cost, but we could’ve / should’ve had him for zilch last summer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They should make a play for Jack Rudoni if Scott goes.  No idea what he would cost, but we could’ve / should’ve had him for zilch last summer.

Rudoni is certainly one that we should be after. 

Possesses many similar attributes to Scott, and perhaps hasn’t received the plaudits yet because he has been playing in a very poor Huddersfield team. 

As you mention, he is one we should have tried for last year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Rudoni is certainly one that we should be after. 

Possesses many similar attributes to Scott, and perhaps hasn’t received the plaudits yet because he has been playing in a very poor Huddersfield team. 

As you mention, he is one we should have tried for last year. 

Perhaps we did? Tho with Scott and Benarous we may have thought we didn't need him. Also Huddersfield were more of a pull last summer.

If City were reasonably confident of selling Scott in the coming days/weeks then surely its in the clubs best interests to try signing players (or at least agree a fee) before officially Scott, as selling clubs would obviously use the fact we have just received a hefty initial payment against us during negotiations.

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

We need a new GK. Despite what Pearson says, I'm still unconvinced by Max. Bentley was a far better keeper. So, some of this Scott money needs to go towards a couple of new midfielders and a better keeper. 

The issue is that it's not about the "best", it's what's best for the team. We were conceding a lot of crosses and corners at the time the change was made and one huge difference between Max and Dan was Max will come out and collect a ball from a cross or corner, Bentley's most telling weakness was that he wasn't confident with crosses coming into the box and so he'd stay on his line. What happened at that time was we conceded a lot of goals from situations where Max would claim the ball and it put extra pressure on the defenders to win headers. Since Max has taken over we've seen a few goals go in that bents would have saved as he was the better shot-stopper but we've also seen our defence grow in confidence because Max will call and come for the ball taking the pressure off of them to win every header. 

If we sign a new keeper then they'd have to not only be good at shot stopping in order to push Max out of his position but also still be able to come out, command his area and catch or punch crosses. In the modern game those kinds of keepers are big bucks because clubs tend to buy keepers based on their specific abilities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He's on my list and was before he went to Huddersfield. I've noticed they've not been active on transfers. Do they need to sell?

27 minutes ago, brad blit said:

If City were reasonably confident of selling Scott in the coming days/weeks then surely its in the clubs best interests to try signing players (or at least agree a fee) before officially Scott, as selling clubs would obviously use the fact we have just received a hefty initial payment against us during negotiations.

I dont think we will sign for the sake of it, like we use too,

We will only get some one if they are better then the current crop, and that would include ones for the future,

I do think we need a number one, I just don't think Max is good enough at this level, not saying he's bad and I'm reasonably comfortable with him starting, but I don't think he's the long term solution for that position,

• Like 3