IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

13 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I can see alot of posters saying we could take 'x' amount plus 'x' player.

If we interested in that type of arrangement and I'm assuming we just want a straight up fee, would this in theory be better for us in terms of FFP or is it more of a cash flow benefit? @Mr Popodopolous

I suppose it can depend on when the add-ons are triggered too. A straight up fee feels best to me but if say he stayed at his new club if he goes this summer for 4 or 5 years or longer, may really flourish there, that headroom and fee would stay on the FFP books until 2025-26. That 3 year cycle.

Come 2026-27 it would no longer be a factor. Whereas if add-ons were triggered in 2024-25, the benefit would stay on the books until 2026-27, if in 3 years time an add-on was triggered it would stay relevant until 2028-29 etc. Can depend on size of add-ons, ease of achievement etc but in theory it could give us a nice little top up every now and then. Certainly not a major one but a certain amount that can help.

Forgot to add, cash flow isn't a factor really for us so long as SL is able and willing to keep topping up as and when. Must not take it for granted but doesn't feel like a major factor for this deal.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I strongly suspect we are entering the area of ‘saving face’.  Wolves do not want to be seen to be meeting our asking price and losing the ‘stand off’. 

They wont risk losing the player for the sake of say 500k but they will continue to bid below the £25m, hoping that we cave in.

Standard negotiation tactic in all businesses. It’s not about the amount but more about the ego of the people making and evaluating the bid.

You can be certain that if another club come in with £25m straight off the bat, Wolves will almost instantly match it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm..

I'll be honest I know little about him but he is a midfielder. As well as or instead of Scott? Like their links with Doyle the other day.

If they do sign this fella can’t see them spending 25m on Scott as well. This would be their sixth central midfielder, at least 4 of them fighting for starting places. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If he suffers a career ending injury tomorrow he'll have 2 years at his current wage. Sign a new contract he has more money and a longer contract

I would have thought that's obvious

He's joining a Premier League team on a hefty wage, be it this window, the next, or next summer. A contract will only increase his value, which may price teams out and stop him getting his Premier League move (and FAR more money). We are selling now for £25m, which is close to being hit, why enforce himself a £30m?

The odds of him sustaining a career ending injury is incredibly low. I would have thought that's obvious.

Must have been mentioned a few times already but don’t feel Wolves is the best move for Scott… when you consider teams like Brighton were apparently in for him... it’s a good move don’t get me wrong .. PL football.. better financial package.. but honestly thought with his talent he would have had a more attractive unquestionable offer on the table 

• Like 2

Just now, Not Banksy said:

Must have been mentioned a few times already but don’t feel Wolves is the best move for Scott… when you consider teams like Brighton were apparently in for him... it’s a good move don’t get me wrong .. PL football.. better financial package.. but honestly thought with his talent he would have had a more attractive unquestionable offer on the table 

Perhaps Brighton won't move bigger until Caicedo sold.

I could also see him doing alright at Brentford, especially if they're moving back towards their 4-3-3 but that's all hypothetical as they haven't been credited with a bid or anything.

2 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

You have to remember we do have some 'bias' on AS's ability.. I think he'll strive in the Premier League eventually but I don't see that as a full gone conclusion straight away. The analysts and scout might be put off by the fee for someone so young who has amounted alot of Championship games but has only cracked this league so far.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You have to remember we do have some 'bias' on AS's ability.. I think he'll strive in the Premier League eventually but I don't see that as a full gone conclusion straight away. The analysts and scout might be put off by the fee for someone so young who has amounted alot of Championship games but has only cracked this league so far.

He could thrive as well as strive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

I strongly suspect we are entering the area of ‘saving face’.  Wolves do not want to be seen to be meeting our asking price and losing the ‘stand off’. 

They wont risk losing the player for the sake of say 500k but they will continue to bid below the £25m, hoping that we cave in.

Won't matter because I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever be told, officially. 

I'd bet more than a few quid on City announcing Scott's departure for "a club record undisclosed fee" and Wolves announcing his arrival for "an undisclosed fee". 

We'll be left with various media outlets and sources quoting figures and we'll have to decide which ones to believe. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Won't matter because I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever be told, officially. 

I'd bet more than a few quid on City announcing Scott's departure for "a club record undisclosed fee" and Wolves announcing his arrival for "an undisclosed fee". 

We'll be left with various media outlets and sources quoting figures and we'll be left to decide which ones to believe. 

The 2023-24 accounts will give a strong clue, for us anyway- Profit on Disposal etc.

The bulk of it will almost certainly be Scott, we don't have a sell on clause to Guernsey although do Solidarity fees factor in here.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Wolves would be the last club to sign for. They were lucky to stay up last season, have potential FFP issues which may be solved to a certain extent by recent sales. Plus Alex doesn't speak Portuguese to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry but have to disagree with this. I think Wolves would be perfect. He would be signing for a Manager that wants him and will give him plenty of minutes. Lopetegu is a top manager (too good for Wolves, possibly) that likes to play a good style of football. Wolves are now a well run 'family' club and if Alex does well would be a great stepping stone to a top 6 club in 2/3 years time.

As long as he speaks Spanish and the manager understands him, Portugese won't matter.

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Selred said:

He's joining a Premier League team on a hefty wage, be it this window, the next, or next summer. A contract will only increase his value, which may price teams out and stop him getting his Premier League move (and FAR more money). We are selling now for £25m, which is close to being hit, why enforce himself a £30m?

The odds of him sustaining a career ending injury is incredibly low. I would have thought that's obvious.

But you’d mitigate that risk wouldn’t you, in some shape or form?

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The 2023-24 accounts will give us a strong clue, for us anyway- Profit on Disposal etc.

The bulk of it will almost certainly be Scott, we don't have a sell on clause to Guernsey although do Solidarity fees factor in here.

Guernsey aren’t part of the EPPP or FIFA scheme, so there shouldn’t be anything due.  I reckon we gave them a nice little “thank you” when we signed him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

According to John Percy in the Telegraph Lopetegui thinks he is ready now.

That's my point. Its only Wolves and Bournemouth who've shown genuine interest with bids so clearly their staff think he's ready. I was replying to a poster who was saying why is he potentially going there and falling short of 'better' clubs. I think he's ready but I'm just saying we do have our own bias on his ability and maybe that's not shared across the board at other clubs.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The 2023-24 accounts will give us a strong clue, for us anyway- Profit on Disposal etc.

Yes you're right.

We'll still be in the dark about the various add-ons though. So his ultimate value to us will remain a mystery as I bet there will be quite a few add-ons - a sell on clause and full international caps being the two obvious ones - and it might be a few years yet before we see the benefit of these. Good luck with keeping tabs on it all! But if anyone can... 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes you're right.

We'll still be in the dark about the various add-ons though. So his ultimate value to us will remain a mystery as I bet there will be quite a few add-ons - a sell on clause and full international caps being the two obvious things that will trigger more money for us - and it might be a few years yet before we see the benefit of these. Good luck with keeping tabs on all that! 

Yep, will be pure guesswork.

Although we didn’t get / haven’t yet got sell-ons for Brownhill, Kelly and Webster, we did earn some add-ons for them, ie appearances, non-relegation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I cant really see, even with scott staying, that we will pull ourselves up 14 places based on the signings weve made? What from the last 8 years would give us any evidence that this will be our season finally?! If we could cut down on weak goals conceded and finish top 10 that would be a result as far as i can see.

We finished just 3 wins off of the play offs.

• Like 2