IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

Not just penalties either.

Was Sharp offside at our place in November? Jury out.

Had Bennett been red carded early on as should have been the case at Wigan we were a goal up in searing heat, confident and could have played on the break as the gsme wore on.

Had the foul on Sykes been correctly called then the phases of play leading up to the red card v Luton wouldn't have occurred and we wouldn't have been deprived for 3 games was it.

Likewise if retrospective officiating hadn't woken up he wouldn't have been banned for 3 or was it 4 games post Swansea.

Those two bans could be considered unlucky at best, but were without doubt to our detriment. Both collectively and for Sykes bedding in especially post Luton.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not just penalties either.

Was Sharp offside at our place in November? Jury out.

Had Bennett been red carded early on as should have been the case at Wigan we were a goal up in searing heat, confident and could have played on the break as the gsme wore on.

Had the foul on Sykes been correctly called then the phases of play leading up to the red card v Luton wouldn't have occurred and we wouldn't have been deprived for 3 games was it.

Likewise if retrospective officiating hadn't woken up he wouldn't have been banned for 3 or was it 4 games post Swansea.

Those two bans could be considered unlucky at best, but were without doubt to our detriment. Both collectively and for Sykes bedding in especially post Luton.

It all evens out though,,, there was probably some dodgy stuff that went our way, albeit probably not a penalty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

It all evens out though,,, there was probably some dodgy stuff that went our way, albeit probably not a penalty!

Possibly there was something at QPR on the last day, but on the flip side disallowed goals too, maybe all were Forrest but I remember 1 v Swansea, 2 v Reading and 1 v Stoke in a 3 game period. The Stoke one was notable as nobody could see it due to the sun so we've no real idea if it was or wasn't.

I recall scant evidence of big, or decent sized errors falling in our favour again with the possibility of QPR away aside.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

It doesn’t even out though.  I agree there are + / - but we got the thin end of the wedge last season on various decisions.  It cost us points.

1 minute ago, Pearsonistheman said:

@DavefevsHow do you know this? I’d have thought this type of information would be confidential? 

Because I asked “someone” and they said so!  They didn’t tell me figures, but I asked the question in such a way and got the answer back (paraphrased) “yes, exactly that”.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We finished just 3 wins off of the play offs.

10 points off and Sunderland's goal difference was miles better. So 4 wins off.

But 7 other teams - Norwich, Preston, Watford, Swansea, West Brom, Millwall, Blackburn - missed out by even less than we did and will be saying exactly the same. 

So, imo, this line of argument is just an example of making the stats say what you want.

Norwich, Watford and West Brom won't be so poor again. The 3 relegated teams will finish above us too. Top 10 is a realistic ambition, and there's always a team or two that does better than expected so being in the "playoff conversation" next year should be our aim, but there's still a mountain to climb.

All that, after selling our best player! (I understand this is a necessity, btw) 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It doesn’t even out though.  I agree there are + / - but we got the thin end of the wedge last season on various decisions.  It cost us points.

Because I asked “someone” and they said so!  They didn’t tell me figures, but I asked the question in such a way and got the answer back (paraphrased) “yes, exactly that”.

Agreed. When we get 3-4 terrible calls that don't include penalties in our favour then it may begin to even out.

Some will have fallen in 2020-21 IMO. Would help to square the circle of a £10m profit on disposal on players that year.

Despite that though I'm still thinking midtable to top 10, chance of the playoffs sure but need some luck too.

Selling Scott for the magic number could bring some strengthening forward of course.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Add a few “net” penalties….that’s probably 4 points, a couple of games thrown away….we weren’t far off were we.

Nope and I think that broadly our performances were quite consistent over the course of the season which really encourages me for this season. 

I think we had some rotten luck last season. Baker and Kalas both being unavailable for most of the season, Benerous too. Naismith injuries, Red cards, decisions against us etc.

I think if we would have had Kalas alone available then we'd have been knocking on the door.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. When we get 3-4 terrible calls that don't include penalties in our favour then it may begin to even out.

Some will have fallen in 2020-21 IMO. Would help to square the circle of a £10m profit on disposal on players that year.

Despite that though I'm still thinking midtable to top 10, chance of the playoffs sure but need some luck too.

Selling Scott for the magic number could bring some strengthening forward of course.

£6.159m in 2021’s accounts.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

10 points off and Sunderland's goal difference was miles better. So 4 wins off.

But 7 other teams - Norwich, Preston, Watford, Swansea, West Brom, Millwall, Blackburn - missed out by even less than we did and will be saying exactly the same. 

So, imo, this line of argument is just an example of making the stats say what you want.

Norwich, Watford and West Brom won't be so poor again. The 3 relegated teams will finish above us too. Top 10 is a realistic ambition, and there's always a team or two that does better than expected so being in the "playoff conversation" next year should be our aim, but there's still a mountain to climb.

All that, after selling our best player! (I understand this is a necessity, btw) 

100% agree. 

Think being in and around is achievable whilst still showing clear improvement, if we can do better awesome! 

Some might think finishing a few wins off the playoffs again isn’t improvement. But with the competition in the league this year I think that will be a successful campaign. Would love to be surprised with us doing even better though ?.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is it's not just about us. How much have other sides materially improved their squads or depth, balance since last season.

Jury out on many of our competitors IMO. Sides who might be contending for the playoffs. Perhaps some have stagnated or gone backwards.

I was writing an article for Off The Line Blog last night, and asked for my 3 promoted and 3 relegated side.  Obviously window has 6 weeks left, so lots can change.  But I did Leicester (up), Wednesday (down) and then really struggled.

Southampton I know little about.  Leeds, I’m not convinced….yet, Ampadu and some more like that might change my mind.

At the bottom, other than Wednesday, Cardiff???

Gonna be about 15 “mid-table” teams ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was writing an article for Off The Line Blog last night, and asked for my 3 promoted and 3 relegated side.  Obviously window has 6 weeks left, so lots can change.  But I did Leicester (up), Wednesday (down) and then really struggled.

Southampton I know little about.  Leeds, I’m not convinced….yet, Ampadu and some more like that might change my mind.

At the bottom, other than Wednesday, Cardiff???

Gonna be about 15 “mid-table” teams ?

I'm struggling too. 

Leicester have so far done the best buisness and their manager looks decent so on that I can see them going up. But I really can't predict where Leeds and Southampton will finish. I've seen people predict they'll go straight back up just because they are Leeds and Southampton. That reputation didn't do them much good in the past, or the likes of Villa! 

Wednesday I agree will be down but after that I'm struggling too. People say Plymouth but I'm not sure. QPR are probably one of my favourites right now. I have West Brom down as to struggle. Maybe not go down but things seem bleak there.

There will be some clubs that improve from last season and there will be others that go backwards. And there will always be surprising clubs battling for play offs and survival. 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm struggling too. 

Leicester have so far done the best buisness and their manager looks decent so on that I can see them going up. But I really can't predict where Leeds and Southampton will finish. I've seen people predict they'll go straight back up just because they are Leeds and Southampton. That reputation didn't do them much good in the past, or the likes of Villa! 

Wednesday I agree will be down but after that I'm struggling too. People say Plymouth but I'm not sure. QPR are probably one of my favourites right now. I have West Brom down as to struggle. Maybe not go down but things seem bleak there.

There will be some clubs that improve from last season and there will be others that go backwards. And there will always be surprising clubs battling for play offs and survival. 

My draft is:

• Leicester 
  • Sunderland
  • Boro

but waiting to replace one / two of them with Leeds / Southampton!

Bottom 3:

• Wednesday
  • Cardiff
  • QPR

but subject to change 

• Like 1

There seems to be a bit of a lull at the moment. 

I'm wondering if this is because Chelsea have bid for Moises Caicedo and IF he goes to Chelsea then Brighton may come in for Scott? Maybe Brighton have spoken to Scotts agent about this possibility. 

For Alex and for us, Brighton would be the ideal destination imo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My draft is:

• Leicester 
  • Sunderland
  • Boro

but waiting to replace one / two of them with Leeds / Southampton!

Bottom 3:

• Wednesday
  • Cardiff
  • QPR

but subject to change 

Intrigued that you have Sunderland and Boro to go up if I'm reading right. Not convinced they're stronger. Simms (half-season), Diallo and Geldhart (replacing Simms basically) is a decent hole for Sunderland to fill... 

...Middlesbrough, well if they re-sign Giles this may change significantly. Ramsey and Archer also returned to Aston Villa- these are the big 3 loanees, Steffen, Mowatt and Muniz the others. Might their squad be a bit weaker as it stands.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

State of play that we know of seems to be us holding out for our price and clubs- most notably Wolves given their frequency of bidding- seeking to low-ball us.

No sign of Scott discontent although who knows if there is behind the scenes.

I just don't see that from him. I think he'd genuinely be happy to play here if things don't pan out. He is an absolute model pro, who puts stock in game time and development. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I just don't see that from him. I think he'd genuinely be happy to play here if things don't pan out. He is an absolute model pro, who puts stock in game time and development. 

I'd hope so but it depends who exactly comes in for him IMO.

I totally agree on him being a model pro and he doesn't seem the type to become disruptive..but what do we know of his agent and his influence, mindset.

5 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

The lad oozes self confidence and natural ability - he knows his big move will come 

This isn’t a player who is a flash in the pan, had a good run of form and looking to get his move whilst he is soaring 

He just has to keep doing what he is doing and the right move will come for him 

• Like 7