IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

2 hours ago, milo1111 said:

It would be hilarious if this came to fruition. I would be laughing my head off. As the premier league has treated the EFL like dog sheet to see them in financial turmoil would be so sweet.

Unfortunately a reduction in TV revenue would also have a financial impact on the EFL as the money the Prem gives to the EFL would also reduce 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

And isn’t it sickening that all this money is theirs simply because of luck? 

Back at the time of the 1970's oil crisis Western Governments charged scientists with the task of finding an alternative to petrol engines for cars to avoid being held to ransom by the middle eastern countries that controlled the oil supply.

A team of Irish scientists discovered a way of powering cars using engines running on camel dung, only to then realise who controlled all the camels!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Unfortunately a reduction in TV revenue would also have a financial impact on the EFL as the money the Prem gives to the EFL would also reduce 

It would drastically close the gap though. I don’t think they give the EFL that much do they??

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Our midfield, with no scott, and having to assume joe williams plays every week is bottom third of the championship, unfortunately! And thats assuming knight comes in and immediately becomes one of our top players,, which he might hopefully do?!

Just as well our attack is top third and our defence is too! ?

Just watching the pre-season games, or even just seeing the team sheets, what makes you assume Joe Williams plays every week.

I’m not even gonna venture into our respective opinions, because I know they will be different, just trying to gauge how you reach your conclusion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

And isn’t it sickening that all this money is theirs simply because of luck? 

Get what your saying but our country has built a lot it's wealth historically from just taking from lesser developed countries (the British empire) so don't think we can pretend to be whiter than white compared to the Saudis.

What annoys me more is the footballers, golfers etc who are taking these extreme amounts of money when they were already millionaires. Money that could do help solve a lot of the world's problems, especially countering global warming.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 2

30 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

What annoys me more is the footballers, golfers etc who are taking these extreme amounts of money when they were already millionaires

Yes but have a heart, Jordan Henderson for instance is struggling on £200k a week at Liverpool, which is obviously not enough to *cliched excuse alert* secure his family's future.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yes but have a heart, Jordan Henderson for instance is struggling on £200k a week at Liverpool, which is obviously not enough to *cliched excuse alert* secure his family's future.?

You should see the insurance premiums for footballers on Merseyside though, mate - the excess on Theft alone must be about 6 billion quid, such is the likelihood of you being robbed by lowlife scrotes whilst your wife and kids are home alone.  

And he has lovely but very expensive teeth.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin

Sounds like Wolves are in a bit of a mess with their fans starting to think they have no coherent transfer strategy. When they get relegated and we win the play-offs, should we resurrect this thread or start a new one?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You should see the insurance premiums for footballers on Merseyside though, mate - the excess on Theft alone must be about 6 billion quid, such is the likelihood of you being robbed by lowlife scrotes whilst your wife and kids are home alone.  

Not just footballers

10 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Sounds like Wolves are in a bit of a mess with their fans starting to think they have no coherent transfer strategy. When they get relegated and we win the play-offs, should we resurrect this thread or start a new one?

West Ham, although they haven't been linked with Scott so strongly of late, have barely signed anyone either. Not a day goes by without a new midfielder being linked, not quite as badly off as Wolves but need to wonder there.. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just as well our attack is top third and our defence is too! ?

Just watching the pre-season games, or even just seeing the team sheets, what makes you assume Joe Williams plays every week.

I’m not even gonna venture into our respective opinions, because I know they will be different, just trying to gauge how you reach your conclusion.

Conway is frightening, bell is coming on in leaps and bounds, weimann and wells are another year older and cornick is “unproven” for us yet… 

i think i was responding to someone who was sayjng that once Scott leaves our midfield wont be too bad, or something similar… we will be left with king, plus 3 midfielders who we have some injury doubts about plus knight, who hopefully comes in and does very well.. williams is one of those who we would have to rely on to give us game time.

our gk situation is also questionable, and defence of vyner and dickie remain to be seen, hopefully mccrorie comes in and is a bit more comfortable on the ball than tanner, who no one has any problem with and gives his all, but isn’t necessarily the best with the ball? Pring is nailed on to start.

as to who we sign to replace scott,, who knows, but clearly we wont be getting the likes of mcatee or someone of that standard/ value in,,, the 2/3 million range might be more like it? Clearly if scott goes we can’t attract anyone in of that standard because hes the best young midfielder in the country in that age group.. 

i gather im in the minority on my thoughts of our prospects for the new season, i dont see how we are going to pull 10 places based on our new signings, and if scott goes, i think we will be left with conway and bell as our main hope for next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Conway is frightening, bell is coming on in leaps and bounds, weimann and wells are another year older and cornick is “unproven” for us yet… 

i think i was responding to someone who was sayjng that once Scott leaves our midfield wont be too bad, or something similar… we will be left with king, plus 3 midfielders who we have some injury doubts about plus knight, who hopefully comes in and does very well.. williams is one of those who we would have to rely on to give us game time.

our gk situation is also questionable, and defence of vyner and dickie remain to be seen, hopefully mccrorie comes in and is a bit more comfortable on the ball than tanner, who no one has any problem with and gives his all, but isn’t necessarily the best with the ball? Pring is nailed on to start.

as to who we sign to replace scott,, who knows, but clearly we wont be getting the likes of mcatee or someone of that standard/ value in,,, the 2/3 million range might be more like it? Clearly if scott goes we can’t attract anyone in of that standard because hes the best young midfielder in the country in that age group.. 

i gather im in the minority on my thoughts of our prospects for the new season, i dont see how we are going to pull 10 places based on our new signings, and if scott goes, i think we will be left with conway and bell as our main hope for next season.

You actually originally said that we’d be left with Joe Williams to replace Scott & when I said in response we’d bring someone in, you then said that player wouldn’t be as good as Scott.. Which isn’t exactly revelatory.

It is actually possible though to sell your best player, spend less on his replacement & still improve, Brentford have pulled off that feat consistently.

I’d also be interested to know if anyone seriously thinks we’re going to finish fourth (which is what improving by ten places would mean). My guess is not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Someone mention Liverpool again, it's been a few days since the last one and we must be due.

Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, too.

Despite absolutely no evidence that any of them are actually interested in him.

FWIW I think West Ham were before their new Director of Football arrived, but not now.

• Like 2

The consensus seems to be that without Scott our midfield is at best average, with Scott it is at least competitive. So why oh why would we sell him now when we could retain him for one more year and try for promotion.

No excuses for banging my drum for footballing common sense, and a desire to see a successful City, rather than the mediocre.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You actually originally said that we’d be left with Joe Williams to replace Scott & when I said in response we’d bring someone in, you then said that player wouldn’t be as good as Scott.. Which isn’t exactly revelatory.

It is actually possible though to sell your best player, spend less on his replacement & still improve, Brentford have pulled off that feat consistently.

I’d also be interested to know if anyone seriously thinks we’re going to finish fourth (which is what improving by ten places would mean). My guess is not.

Williams would be one of our remaining senior midfielders, i thought i also mentioned mehmeti as the likely replacement in scotts role, but whether he is influential in the championship or not im not quite sure, though hes clearly talented.

brentford have been brilliant at it, we sold semenyo in january and signed cornick! The academy has provided most of our best/ most valuable players in the last few years.

im sure there have been lots of posts in this thread about keeping scott and making a run for the playoffs, which would obviously require a big change in league position.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Lopetegui(?) does a runner.

Yep, at the end of last season he was rumoured to be close to walking if he didn't get the backing he wanted, and he has previous for jumping ship when a better offer comes along, left Spain the day before the World Cup started in order to take over at Real Madrid.

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep, at the end of last season he was rumoured to be close to walking if he didn't get the backing he wanted, and he has previous for jumping ship when a better offer comes along, left Spain the day before the World Cup started in order to take over at Real Madrid.

He didn't leave he was sacked by the Spanish FA for agreeing to take over at Real Madrid after the World Cup. Which seems rather an overreaction.

• Like 1

Midfield options (minus Scott):

James

Knight

Williams

Weimann

Naismith

- - - - - - -

King

Benarous

Taylor-Clarke

Competing for what is essentially two conventional midfield places and an attacking midfield place.  I’ve not included Mehmeti who could play the attacking midfield role, McCrorie who could play the conventional midfield role or Sykes who could play both.

I purposely drew a line beneath Naismith.  I think we have 5 competing for 3 slots, plus maybe one more if we sign a replacement.

Benarous beneath the line purely because he is a big “if” fitness wise.

Andy King still a useful player, just not playing back to back.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Midfield options (minus Scott):

James

Knight

Williams

Weimann

Naismith

- - - - - - -

King

Benarous

Taylor-Clarke

Competing for what is essentially two conventional midfield places and an attacking midfield place.  I’ve not included Mehmeti who could play the attacking midfield role, McCrorie who could play the conventional midfield role or Sykes who could play both.

I purposely drew a line beneath Naismith.  I think we have 5 competing for 3 slots, plus maybe one more if we sign a replacement.

Benarous beneath the line purely because he is a big “if” fitness wise.

Andy King still a useful player, just not playing back to back.

Never mind the numbers, just feel the drop in quality once Scott leaves for Wolves. 

It's why some of that transfer fee will surely be spent on a new midfielder.

No-one wants to see King out there on his zimmer frame. OTC is miles off. Weimann is no-one's idea of a midfielder. The other 3 are injury prone, soon to be out of contract, or both. 

So it's disappointing Scott's leaving but using some of his transfer fee to upgrade a couple of our midfielders will put us in a much stronger position squad-wise.    

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Never mind the numbers, just feel the drop in quality once Scott leaves for Wolves. 

It's why some of that transfer fee will surely be spent on a new midfielder.

No-one wants to see King out there on his zimmer frame. OTC is miles off. Weimann is no-one's idea of a midfielder. The other 3 are injury prone, soon to be out of contract, or both. 

So it's disappointing Scott's leaving but using some of his transfer fee to upgrade a couple of our midfielders will put us in a much stronger position squad-wise.    

Wienman spent most of last season playing attacking midfield or wide midfield,

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I really don't want to go into the season with this hanging over us. We said our goodbyes go Scott at the end of the season. We need a resolution to this asap. 

Not really how it works though, unless we accept less than he's worth.

• Thanks 1