IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

The other thingnim failing to understand, people are talking about replacing scott with an attacking midfielder,

we didnt deploy him as an attacking midfielder and nether did england, granted he played deeper for england,

if scott is to be replaced it needs to be someone who can tackle and break up play, thats where we will miss scott the most

Very true, he played predominantly as a conventional midfielder last season rather than the attacking midfielder / no10:

image.png.361dd2cd85407e9d20209efb6fd76394.png

in trendy terminology he was more a no8 (I don’t like the lingo myself)

3 hours ago, class not gas said:

Think that's what Knight is all about.

It is.  Not as silky by any stretch as Scott, but who is.  We will need to be a bit more functional without Scott (assuming he goes, I think he will).

3 hours ago, astrondrew said:

And a pre-seasoned Mehmeti might well soften the blow of the attacking side.

Definitely an option to play as the AM/10, but we also have Weimann, which was my earlier point.  

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Tim iroegbunam would be a good replacement should Scott go and doubt he would be hugely expensive

Yes, he would be.  Had a good season in amongst the dross at QPR.  I’d ask Villa the question at least.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure I’ve read much scapegoating yet - but he’s had a bit of criticism.

The issue for me is, some people are slightly still living in the past and keep expecting the marauding player we ‘thought’ we signed from Wigan to appear.

I would love nothing more than for you to bookmark this post and throw it back in my face - but I think that ship might have sailed.

IMO Williams is the kind of player you love having in the squad, as a personality and for his work rate but I don’t know if he has the attributes to be a key 40 game a season player in a top 6 team - which is where we’re ultimately aiming, right.

That’s not to say it justifies being a scapegoat however.

Yep, less box to box like at his former club….the hamstrings have probably done for that player, but still a player who adds intensity to the game.  A bit erratic with his distribution, sometimes good, sometimes bad…think some of that comes from trying to force the tempo.

If I broke my midfield into:

CM - Perm 2 from 4:

James, Naismith, Williams and Knight with King and Taylor-Clarke as cover

AM - Perm 1 from 2:

Weimann and Mehmeti with Benarous as cover

Im pretty happy.  I don’t see it quite as rigidly as that but it kinda helps my way of thinking.

• Like 4

Nice to see Tim Iroegbunam getting some mentions as we were apparently looking at him before and he does look very good. Would be a decent fee you'd imagine if they would let him go. But, regardless of how well he is doing pre-season, is he going to get minutes over Mcginn, Buendia, Luiz, Tielemans, Ramsey, other Ramsey, Kamara... 

So would they take say 3-5m rather than turning him into a perennial loanee???

Highly speculative but has been on our list and from the little I saw last season, very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure I’ve read much scapegoating yet - but he’s had a bit of criticism.

The issue for me is, some people are slightly still living in the past and keep expecting the marauding player we ‘thought’ we signed from Wigan to appear.

I would love nothing more than for you to bookmark this post and throw it back in my face - but I think that ship might have sailed.

IMO Williams is the kind of player you love having in the squad, as a personality and for his work rate but I don’t know if he has the attributes to be a key 40 game a season player in a top 6 team - which is where we’re ultimately aiming, right.

That’s not to say it justifies being a scapegoat however.

Yes Monk

I love to hear Williams during a game always talking, instructing and keeping others on their toes. Yes his hamstrings have finished his box to box game. But he does read the game well and I feel gives good grit into the midfield. Not a 49 game a great man. But certain teams and ta tactical set up ups  he will be a must 

• Like 2

Interview with Lopetegui, unsure how this affects Wolves in their chase for Scott.

He used the term and I certainly haven't watched it, but he claimed not to be a financial advisor. I assume there is some major FFP difficulty there.

Although a Wolves fan who posts about finance says they could spend £150m this summer..and be fine with it??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interview with Lopetegui, unsure how this affects Wolves in their chase for Scott.

He used the term and I certainly haven't watched it, but he claimed not to be a financial advisor. I assume there is some major FFP difficulty there.

Although a Wolves fan who posts about finance says they could spend £150m this summer..and be fine with it??

This one:

I’m not sure if I was in Scott’s shoes I’d want this move. Plus side you’d certainly play but minus side they appear to be up a certain creek without a certain implement 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My suspicion is they weren't exactly up front with him about their FFP position but a poster on Twitter called Craig Spillard a Wolves fan thinks no issues at all.

Just reading his stuff, he caveats that big time on the assumption owners have put money in. Also states the owners want a £50m profit (via Sky Journo) this window, and not in that space yet so more sales expected. It’d seem madness to go there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just reading his stuff, he caveats that big time on the assumption owners have put money in. Also states the owners want a £50m profit (via Sky Journo) this window, and not in that space yet so more sales expected. It’d seem madness to go there.

But football clubs do not make profit, barring one or two

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

This one:

I’m not sure if I was in Scott’s shoes I’d want this move. Plus side you’d certainly play but minus side they appear to be up a certain creek without a certain implement 

Will explain why he's not angling for a move,

Such a pro at such a young age, it's remarkable how mature he is

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Such a pro at such a young age, it's remarkable how mature he is

Regardless of what the facts really are at this stage regarding the move... I couldn't agree more.. seems to also have good people around him... speaks highly of his family who also seem to be a good influence (looking back at when he was released as a kid) so sure he will make the right call when the time comes (hopefully its later rather than sooner!!)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DaveF said:

Pretty sure he would be quite expensive and would have a long list of suitors.

10 hours ago, BLRed said:

Tim iroegbunam would be a good replacement should Scott go and doubt he would be hugely expensive

But having his name on the back of your replica shirt would be :laugh:.

26 minutes ago, johnbytheriver said:

transfer window does not close until sept 1st there is plenty of time unfortunately !Wolves sold a player yesterday for £5 million.

Wolves can't afford him, they still need to sell about 5 more players

13 hours ago, pillred said:

But having his name on the back of your replica shirt would be :laugh:.

And make a fortune for the club shop. We could afford an extra £1m to be recovered through sticking letters on shirts!

Although knowing City they’d run out of ‘u’s and ‘m’s by September. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ecko said:

They're my tip for relegation. Shades of Southampton from last season. 

That's a good shout,

I think they will struggle, I also think Everton will go down as well,

Luton may actually have a small chance of staying up

41 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Luton, Sheffield United and Wolves for me.

A shame really, as I would also like to see Bournemouth and Nottingham Forest relegated.

I think Luton are going to surprise alot of people,

I also think Sheffield United will be OK this season, but both will be in the mix for going down,

I also wish Chelsea is down there too, as that for be funny as but they won't 

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think Luton are going to surprise alot of people,

I also think Sheffield United will be OK this season, but both will be in the mix for going down,

I also wish Chelsea is down there too, as that for be funny as but they won't 

Similar to Everton from years gone by, I think Luton's home record will be decent, and could keep them up. 

Sadly, I think Chelsea will finish top 4 this season. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Similar to Everton from years gone by, I think Luton's home record will be decent, and could keep them up. 

Sadly, I think Chelsea will finish top 4 this season. 

Sheff Utd and Luton absolute certainties to go down for me, if you fancy Luton to stay up you can get decent odds 

• Like 2