IGNORED

Alex Scott - £25m to Bournemouth- Confirmed

28 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

You would presume at the start they would come to us and say "We want to sign Alex Scott can we have permission to talk to him" and then after they've got interest from scott they come back and then negotiations over price happen.

I think it’s more like the agent talks to the buying club and gets things agreed before the club then puts an offer in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s more like the agent talks to the buying club and gets things agreed before the club then puts an offer in. 

That is arguably but not so definitively, tapping up.

FIFA rules on it although this could be outdated, appear to be more relaxed than PL ones.

Screenshot_20230803-215450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.40681a21a1da4a2b19e0fbffa732865f.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s what happens though.  If it’s not an agent representing a club asking, it’ll be a player they know doing it on their behalf.

Oh I don't doubt it can happen but I'm inclined for us to report it if no consent has been given.

Van Dijk was an interesting Case Study, although Liverpool got him in the end in Janaury. I'd have let him rot in the Reserves for the season if I was in charge at Southampton. Brighton should bench Caicedo too for that matter. Little fed up of player power and tapping up.

Stick Caicedo in the reserves, ban him from the Training Ground. Refuse to pick him for the duration of his contract if he wants to play up.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh I don't doubt it can happen but I'm inclined for us to report it if no consent has been given.

Van Dijk was an interesting Case Study, although Liverpool got him in the end in Janaury. I'd have let him rot in the Reserves for the season if I was in charge at Southampton. Brighton should bench Caicedo too for that matter. Little fed up of player power and tapping up.

Stick Caicedo in the reserves, ban him from the Training Ground. Refuse to pick him for the duration of his contract if he wants to play up.

That’s it though, we don’t know what consent has been given, if any.

We are all just speculating / giving our opinions on what we think has happened / is happening.

Re “sticking them in the stiffs” or “make em train with the kids” (Alex still is one ?), they are huge assets.  It rarely serves a purpose.  Would you honestly do that with Scott is Bournemouth or Wolves had tapped him up?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s it though, we don’t know what consent has been given, if any.

We are all just speculating / giving our opinions on what we think has happened / is happening.

Re “sticking them in the stiffs” or “make em train with the kids” (Alex still is one ?), they are huge assets.  It rarely serves a purpose.  Would you honestly do that with Scott is Bournemouth or Wolves had tapped him up?

This is true.

I'm really loathe with Scott and not just because he is our star player but his behaviour as far as we know has been exemplary to date. That's a major thing in his favour..If he needed a bit of time out of the firing line with all the speculation we should certainly happy to consider but his behaviour as far as we know has differed from that of e.g. Van Dijk or Caicedo.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We won’t report anything as we will be doing it as well. 

• Like 1

I notice that Scott’s photo has not been used in any of the club’s promotional tweets or Instas over the last week or so. It can’t be a coincidence that the club has tried to dampen down any possibility of him playing on Saturday for us.

Are those who believe that something sinister must be happening about the Scott situation because they've not seen his picture in City promotional content the same people who were convinced Paul McCartney was dead because he was walking barefoot across the zebra crossing on the Abbey Road album cover. 

If Alex is sold (and I still hope he won't be) while I would love to have the full transfer fee up front as has been pointed out by many on here that isn't going to happen, so come the end of the window we won't have £25M in the bank just the first instalment of whatever the payment plan is. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If Alex is sold (and I still hope he won't be) while I would love to have the full transfer fee up front as has been pointed out by many on here that isn't going to happen, so come the end of the window we won't have £25M in the bank just the first instalment of whatever the payment plan is. 

Likelihood is that whatever sum of that we spend (say a couple of million) will probably be in instalments too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Suggested by a local journo down there that Bournemouth interest in Scott hasn't gone entirely but that they have perhaps moved onto an alternative.

The price (in their view) too high still seems to feature.

That's fine, just piss down yer leg and play with the steam........you ain't getting him for less !

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, shelts said:

I think it’s a done deal . Protecting the asset , injury is a smoke screen. In talks announced over the weekend !

Nothing to base that on !

Could be a smoke screen… PNE will be second guessing our line up, Bournemouth will think that we’re going soft on our asking price and that we’re preparing to sell, then boom we show them that we remain serious on our position and he’s playing.. ?

I'm oversimplifying on this post and not being entirely serious with it. Negotiations maybe going a bit like this!

Bristol City: "£25m is the negotiation position."

Wolves: "Will you accept £18m?"

Bristol City:  "No."

Bournemouth: "Will you accept £15m plus add-ons?"

Bristol City: "No."

Wolves: "£20m plus add-ons rising to £22m?"

Bristol City: "No."

On and on. Wonder how many more attempted low-ball bids will arise between now and his departure or indeed between now and the end of the window if he remains.

Who even knows if the next bid by Bournemouth if it is to be them, will be to our liking. If it isn't then we hold firm.

I’m not a conspiracy theorist in general, although we all know no one has ever landed on The Moon, JFK was done  for by Hoover who ordered the hit then ordered the hit on the hit and Kwasi Kwarteng has a degree in economics (yeah I know the last one is a bit rich). But the idea that Mr Pearson would go on tv and bare face lie about a little injury to Alex Scott two days before the season starts I just don’t feel is credible. 

He had no need to say anything, no one knew any better and yet he says the kid picked up a knock in training and meltdown for a couple. I would suggest that anyone that wants to tell Nigel Pearson to his face he’s a liar may want to take a good moments thought beforehand. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

It is inevitable that a player will be sold if you put a price on their transfer.

Making that number high, just makes it easier to explain to the fans. The continued elephant in the room is that we are still paying for the failed excesses and ineptitude of previous spending and misguidance. (The whole club was implicit in the self-imposed cluster F)

We had no choice but to sell Semenyo, for FFP reasons, due to the previous issues. Now? Well if there was one time you need to invest in your talent retention, it is today. After 4 years of woe, ranging from abject failure to survival, and finally through some shoots of recovery, we find ourselves with a coherent squad, fit, with pace, some skill, and with a few players who clearly have a higher ceiling than mid-table in the Championship. But, and it is huge but, if you have desires to get to the Prem, in the vast majority of cases, you need a sprinkling of players who are above the normal level. it is why the parachute payment clubs can prevail because they can afford to pay (say Mitovic when he was on £100k/week) or loan ( McAtee and Tella ). So a day or two before our season starts, our star player is subject to a transfer bid. Few believe he is injured, with reason. That looks like a smokescreen. 

So, let us assume on Sunday, we no longer have Scott. The club have £25m in the bank, and we can stem our losses, and make the club less financially onerous. We already know we will not be signing other players, and that the money has already been spent. That is the harsh reality for a club that has a turnover that does not come close to covering the running costs or wage bills. It is harsh too. Because a squad with Scott in, well you could dream of a promotion push, without him, well you fall into the pack again, with another 10 teams. That does not mean you cannot make the top 6, far from it, but anyone who thinks you can remove a £25m improving talent like Scott and have the same season in the Championship is being superficial. He is £25m for a reason. Those players make the difference. We hear all the time of fine margins. Well, where do they come from? Players like Scott. 

This was a time to show some ambition. Scott should not be going anywhere until earliest January. Then you can decide if the club have a chance to compete for promotion. Yes, the player has a view, but you are also allowed to make decisions for the club's benefit. 3 months will change nothing on his ultimate career path for a (soon-to-be) 20-year-old. 

Some will point to the money, and suggest it enables the club to evolve and progress. That can be true. But unlike Brighton and Brentford, we have not planned or signed the replacements. Semenyo sold, no replacement either at the club or incoming. The same is true with Scott. At those 2 clubs, that does not happen. It is a substantial difference. Maybe we can use some of the transfer fees from Scott, not for players, but to hire people from the recruitment team at Brighton or Brentford. 

Of course, the price of failure is that you are vulnerable to losing better players, that is how it works in football. But sometimes you need to look at the interests of the club. Alex Scott is going to be a multi-millionaire because of BCFC, this summer, or next summer. 

To continue to lose the best BCFC talent to Bournemouth(it seems) should make everyone who has made the big decisions at BCFC ashamed. Bournemouth. It is the ultimate public demonstration of gross incompetence and mismanagement. It is humiliating. It is also another in a long line of stupid decisions made by the club. Yes sell him, but absolutely not now. You cannot talk of promotion and keep repeating the same cycle. We would be rubbish at poker (Kenny Rodgers if you must).

Sorry, but it is hard to be sanguine about losing our best player a day before we start a new season. 

Good luck to Alex, the best youngster we have had in 40 years, maybe more, with wonderful attitude, skill and application. It has been magical watching him develop and grow. 

We move on though with BCFC it has always seemed like a three-legged race, with the two runners tied left leg to left leg and pointing in opposite directions. 

I appreciate the time it must have taken for you to write this but I fundamentally disagree with you on the current situation. Selling Scott (if that finally happens) is little to do with financial failure of the past, it's more to do with the economics of football. 

The price on Scott's head is not to keep the fans happy, it's a "we don't need to sell" price, the ship has been righted sufficiently to allow us to keep him if we like.

I would suggest that if Scott was at all but a handful of other Championship clubs and was the subject to the reported offers, he would have been already sold no matter what those clubs suggested his price was.

This is one of the area's where football is unique in the business world to my mind. Because in almost any other business if someone offered you a large amount for something that could be worthless tomorrow, due to its fragility, you would be crazy to turn it down.

• Like 4

Wait until January window now. Have a great start with Scott starring in midfield and adding another 10m to his price tag. Sell him to a bigger and better club than Bournemouth and get him loaned back to us to the rest of the season to finish the job off and get us promotion.

C'mon Alex, you know that's what you want. COYR's !!

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Wait until January window now. Have a great start with Scott starring in midfield and adding another 10m to his price tag. Sell him to a bigger and better club than Bournemouth and get him loaned back to us to the rest of the season to finish the job off and get us promotion.

C'mon Alex, you know that's what you want. COYR's !!

I know it's friday-

But this is a very early start ?

• Haha 4

The Times this morning reporting that the Wolves chair has written an open letter to fans to explain why transfer activity is so quiet (FFP). Further down the article it says;

With Lopetegui set to miss out on his first choice target, Alex Scott, to Bournemouth and with more players heading for the exit with the start of their season ten days away the pressure is on the Spaniard to deliver with the squad he has at his disposal.’  

Theres a nice big pic of Alex accompanying the comment  Not sure if it’s just easy journalism or not but seems he’s definitely not going to Wolves - from this piece anyway……

Edited by lenred