IGNORED

Bemmy pubs

On 01/04/2023 at 07:25, Lanterne Rouge said:

Where I used to live in Hatherleigh just outside Okehampton they did a Millennium project to track down all the pubs that used to be in the town and I think they located about 27. The population was only around 800 back then and a lot of the `pubs` were just a plank across some barrels in someone`s front room but there were a hell of a lot. I think there were something like six breweries too.

As probably this forum's least well known Devonian, I am of course aware of your good self as one of its better known Devon residents, but I had no idea you lived in Hatherleigh, where I grew up and went to school. When were you there, if you don't mind me asking? 

17 hours ago, Porto Red said:

As probably this forum's least well known Devonian, I am of course aware of your good self as one of its better known Devon residents, but I had no idea you lived in Hatherleigh, where I grew up and went to school. When were you there, if you don't mind me asking? 

We were there for about twelve years from the mid 90s to 2008 (I think!). We used to live at Moor View and Mrs LR was the warden for the council bungalows. I wonder if we know each other? I don`t recall coming across any other reds in my time there - plenty of Janners but no City!

14 hours ago, Posset red said:

That round about has plenty of issues. People don’t seem to give way to people coming from gordano. If your in the Albion all you hear all night is people beeping 

If your in the Albion your probably on your Own , not the busiest , 

always thought it was a decent pub - residents of portishead obviously don’t 

Just now, redkev said:

If your in the Albion your probably on your Own , not the busiest , 

always thought it was a decent pub - residents of portishead obviously don’t 

It gets busy regularly just everyone buggers off and besides they don’t stay open late. I normally start the night there 

Tap & Barrel reopening tomorrow, so just the Albert to go, and interest there too apparently.

Both the Tap and the Albert were very busy and popular pubs not that long ago, hopefully the locals support them and they succeed under new management.

43 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Tap & Barrel reopening tomorrow, so just the Albert to go, and interest there too apparently.

Both the Tap and the Albert were very busy and popular pubs not that long ago, hopefully the locals support them and they succeed under new management.

I quite often walk past the Tap, does seem fairly busy, lots of underage puffer jackets a while back :yes:

We go in the Albert, it hasn't been busy on match days for a while. Though it does look like they were doing things to get people in on the evening.
I wonder if the prices will be the same. Last time it was £3:20 for Red Stripe.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I quite often walk past the Tap, does seem fairly busy, lots of underage puffer jackets a while back :yes:

We go in the Albert, it hasn't been busy on match days for a while. Though it does look like they were doing things to get people in on the evening.
I wonder if the prices will be the same. Last time it was £3:20 for Red Stripe.

The Albert really was a great pub when Ian Storrer was the landlord, people would travel from all over Bristol for the music upstairs, not sure it's ever been the same since.

The Tap was at one time probably my favourite pub in the area - loads to choose from then - but it seemed to get more and more run down in recent years.

Btw, what was the Albert like when you were last there? I heard when it changed to the Albert Lounge the old bar was completely ripped out and they were concentrating on attracting families so not my idea of a pub and I haven't been back.