IGNORED

Bemmy pubs

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have done since well before Covid, a 6 letter word starting Br and ending exit drive my decision to not ever go into a “Spoons” again.

Even when meeting up with mates, they’ll often suggest Commercial Rooms, and I say I’ll join them when they’ve moved on to the next pub.

Totally with you on that Dave, most of them are shit holes anyway!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thought it was run by Alan Williams, he played for City himself as did his son Gary, who was part of the squad under TC post ‘82.

Might have this wrong but thought he also had The Pineapple (long gone) behind the Council House.

Alan Williams used to run the Miners Arms in Farrington Gurney back in the day as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

I like the Barley Mow and the Little Grosvenor around the corner was an old haunt of mine. Is the Apple Tree still going? 

I believe the Apple Tree is still going. One of, if not the strangest pub I’ve ever been in. We thought it was shut till a old fella said “you’ve got to kick the bottom right of the door to open it” which we did and it flex open.

Once inside it has the oldest fruit machine I’ve seen and was full of blokes pissed in rough cider filling in football betting coupons.

Was only 11:30am…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

I believe the Apple Tree is still going. One of, if not the strangest pub I’ve ever been in. We thought it was shut till a old fella said “you’ve got to kick the bottom right of the door to open it” which we did and it flex open.

Once inside it has the oldest fruit machine I’ve seen and was full of blokes pissed in rough cider filling in football betting coupons.

Sounds like it's worth a visit ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

I think we should boycott all the Westerspoons after what that *unt Martin did in sacking all his staff during the lockdown

He didn’t sack his staff :laugh:. He told them they could find alternative employment if they wanted too and their jobs would be waiting for them when they re-opened. Amazing how things get portrayed

Edited by Seventeen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pearsonistheman said:

It is.

That & the Barley Mow are old school Bedminster.

The juxtaposition of Bristol Loaf & the Apple Tree must be unlike anywhere else in the city.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

Love it. I’ve got so many tales of being in that golden triangle of pubs, most of which involve the Grosvenor. Ain’t been in there for a while, mind. Wonder if Clive’s still running it.

The first time I ever walked in there I was offered some loot nicked from Asda and some ‘freshly’ caught rabbit wrapped in newspaper! Standard! ?

Edited by tin
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, redkev said:

What is the busiest pub around the ground now , due to work tend to have to go pretty much straight in and grab a beer in the ground or just outside , 

is the Spanish still going strong 

Coopers, Rising Sun and The Robins I’d say. All of these are pretty busy!

Spanish bar is still going too. I remember going in there around 2010ish. Think it must have been just starting out, as I remember it being pretty quiet and mixed with some away fans. Got chatting to a few Charlton fans in there…

Good little boozer.

2 hours ago, Seventeen said:

He didn’t sack his staff :laugh:. He told them they could find alternative employment if they wanted too and their jobs would be waiting for them when they re-opened. Amazing how things get portrayed

Absolutely this. It was distorted out of all proportion. 
I share a hatred for his Br@@it views but he was not guilty of sacking staff during lockdown. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, TomF said:

I think culture has changed - smoking ban for one has changed the environment of a pub, they all need to offer some sort of food service as side revenue and really I think covid was the final nail with many people realising that they can buy a 12 pack of cans for less than couple of pints down the pub. 

Not for me, can’t sit at home drinking beer, it’s just not right.  For me beer and pubs go hand in hand.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

A shame, spent many a recent Sunday Funday on a route of The Ship, The Grosvenor, The White Hart, Apple Tree, Barley Mow and the others mentioned (although last time I was in The Grosvenor all beer was served in cans, defeating the object of going out for a 'proper' pint)

£1.50 a can though and Cheddar Valley £2.50 a pint.Cash only mind!

Edited by Slacker

10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Ive had a much more embarrassing, thing happen to me in a pub with a machine, I put the coins in the machine in the toilets, nothing came out, I discretely beckoned the barman over and explained my situation, in a really loud voice, so the twenty or so people and my date could hear he shouted the bloke who fills up the condom machine comes on a Wednesday, thanks a lot cupid I thought 

4 hours ago, TomF said:

I think culture has changed - smoking ban for one has changed the environment of a pub, they all need to offer some sort of food service as side revenue and really I think covid was the final nail with many people realising that they can buy a 12 pack of cans for less than couple of pints down the pub. 

Pub used to be an escape from the wife, now us younguns just don’t get married, beers round our houses whenever we fancy it. As you say, a 5th of the price, + with the internet we get to pick our own music, tv etc etc 

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tin said:

Love it. I’ve got so many tales of being in that golden triangle of pubs, most of which involve the Grosvenor. Ain’t been in there for a while, mind. Wonder if Clive’s still running it.

The first time I ever walked in there I was offered some loot nicked from Asda and some ‘freshly’ caught rabbit wrapped in newspaper! Standard! ?

Clive moved on a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They definitely had the Horse and Groom…and if you frequented that on a lunchtime during the late 90s there’s a strong chance our paths crossed.  There were quite a few “Council boys” who went in there.

Late to this thread. I also used to pop in the Horse and Groom when Gary Williams ran it. I worked in the Architects on Hill St, just behind. I used to play golf with Gary. Lost touch with him now sadly. 

Him and his Dad Alan were lovely chaps. Always happy to chat footy. 

Pint in the Groom and sandwiches from Woodes, then sit on the council green and chat up the girls from the offices. ☺️ Fun times ?

On a tangent...one of the four pubs which shut in Bemmy is opening again today. Can't remember which one it is though ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Late to this thread. I also used to pop in the Horse and Groom when Gary Williams ran it. I worked in the Architects on Hill St, just behind. I used to play golf with Gary. Lost touch with him now sadly. 

Him and his Dad Alan were lovely chaps. Always happy to chat footy. 

Pint in the Groom and sandwiches from Woodes, then sit on the council green and chat up the girls from the offices. ☺️ Fun times ?

On a tangent...one of the four pubs which shut in Bemmy is opening again today. Can't remember which one it is though ?

Black Cat

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TomF said:

Looking at my local, Covid removed a lot of the OAP regulars - men who'd grown up as pub-goers.

A couple passed away, but for more it was a case of just breaking their regular pub-going habits and not getting back into them. Some have health issues that make them wary about catching Covid from such a crowded place.

The loss of these over-70s has been counteracted somewhat by a big increase in tourists staying in the area and dining out. UK tourism is still booming in Somerset, often people popping down for short-stays, and of course there is a much bigger mark-up on food than alcohol. 

The landlord says he's more-or-less got revenue up by 20% from what it was in 2019. Unfortunately, with his energy bills up eight-fold, he is making less money than then.  Like at least half of the pubs I know, it's up for sale, but there aren't a lot of folk interested in buying.  

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It is.

That & the Barley Mow are old school Bedminster.

The juxtaposition of Bristol Loaf & the Apple Tree must be unlike anywhere else in the city.

I’ve only ever been in the Apple Tree the once (with Anthony, as it goes) - it felt like you were having a (rough) pint in someone’s living room. Proper old skool though, a tray of cheese and pork pies on the bar and lots of comings and goings, but a great little pub. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seventeen said:

Refusing to pay employees, you missed that bit - not much different to sacking?? Despicable man.

_Eqm0Qod_normal.jpg

Unacceptable that Wetherspoons has refused to pay its 40,000 employees until it receives its Govt loan - potentially in late April - after first refusing to lock down altogether. If bosses disregard employees' wellbeing then Govt should take tougher action to force compliance.

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, spudski said:

one of the four pubs which shut in Bemmy is opening again today. Can't remember which one it is though

3 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Black Cat

I've not seen anything about that , where was this announced ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was on the radio this morning. They were interviewing the landlord of the Three Lions. He mentioned it and who the new couple were running it. 

Haven't been there for a few games, but we used to pop in on the way past after leaving the Albert. Great Jukebox , made plans for Saturday but will try and look in next Saturday game. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1