IGNORED

The Gold - Scadlynn Ltd., 144 NORTH STREET BS3

exAtyeoMax

I watched the series and was "gobsmacked" at this. Living close to it I would have passed it many times during this period. Also the Barclays bank on Lombard Street in which the money was laundered was staggering. It lead to a lot of comments from the family about my background !!!!

Did you also watch the follow up factual programme -  BBC iPlayer - The Gold: The Inside Story

• Like 1

There was also a Channel 5 doc shown the week leading up to BBC's The Gold series (which was excellent).

The main difference between the C5 and The Inside Story docs was that the former interviewed one of the key witness guards. He had petrol poured over him and explained that petrol then burns into your skin even if not set alight. He shared more detail regarding the informant as well.

Worth trying to find it on their version of iplayer.

Series 2 of The Gold is to be made.

15 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Just watching The Gold on iPlayer. I do remember the names of Kenneth Noye and John Palmer, but I didn't realise that his company was in North Street opposite The Spotted Cow!

I knew. We bought a Timeshare in Florida from his company. When we hadn't received any documentation for the purchase, I looked up their details to contact them. When I realised it was just down the road from where we were living in St Annes, I went down there only to find that a notice on the door to say they were no longer trading. The same day the Evening Post ran story about people who had lost their money in the same circumstances.

At that point I hadn't told my wife what was going on as I didn't want her to panic, so I found a number for the Timeshare Resort in Bradenton Beach and rang them directly. Thank goodness I did as they told me that they had our details, payment and would send us our deeds straight to us. We were one of the lucky ones, and the Timeshare Resort were totally unaware there was a problem, so they were grateful for my call. On our first visit they treated us to a meal at a local restaurant as a thank you for the heads up. :)
We were one of a few lucky ones, apparently they were still selling weeks right up to the day before they went out of business, the later purchasers got nothing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I knew. We bought a Timeshare in Florida from his company. When we hadn't received any documentation for the purchase, I looked up their details to contact them. When I realised it was just down the road from where we were living in St Annes, I went down there only to find that a notice on the door to say they were no longer trading. The same day the Evening Post ran story about people who had lost their money in the same circumstances.

At that point I hadn't told my wife what was going on as I didn't want her to panic, so I found a number for the Timeshare Resort in Bradenton Beach and rang them directly. Thank goodness I did as they told me that they had our details, payment and would send us our deeds straight to us. We were one of the lucky ones, and the Timeshare Resort were totally unaware there was a problem, so they were grateful for my call. On our first visit they treated us to a meal at a local restaurant as a thank you for the heads up. :)
We were one of a few lucky ones, apparently they were still selling weeks right up to the day before they went out of business, the later purchasers got nothing.

I’d forgotten about the he timeshare business! 

my friend’s parents were apparently going to buy his house which I think was near Bath, they split up and got divorced instead

What I find interesting about John Palmer is that, despite him being under electronic surveillance by a secret, police unit, local plod investigating his death "missed" the fact that he had been shot 6 times and recorded the death as a probable heart attack.  The police surveillance of Palmer was conducted from Cumbria - hundreds of miles away from his Essex home - because cops believed both the Met and Essex forces had been compromised by corrupt payments emanating from Palmer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Series 2 of The Gold is to be made.

The ending was a bit annoying in that sense. I hope they're well into filming season 2 so that we're not waiting too long. It's annoying when you get to the end of what you think is a mini-series, but in fact you're basically halfway through the story... other than that a decent series, though surely there are actors out there actually from the westcountry that could've played Palmer, instead of a welshman from Aberystywyth 

18 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

I watched the series and was "gobsmacked" at this. Living close to it I would have passed it many times during this period. Also the Barclays bank on Lombard Street in which the money was laundered was staggering. It lead to a lot of comments from the family about my background !!!!

Did you also watch the follow up factual programme -  BBC iPlayer - The Gold: The Inside Story

Haven’t got to that yet, thanks for the heads up ?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The ending was a bit annoying in that sense. I hope they're well into filming season 2 so that we're not waiting too long. It's annoying when you get to the end of what you think is a mini-series, but in fact you're basically halfway through the story... other than that a decent series, though surely there are actors out there actually from the westcountry that could've played Palmer, instead of a welshman from Aberystywyth 

Is he from the West? I thought he came from Birmingham.

41 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

I believe he lived in Lansdown

Close. He lived in "Battlefields", a big mansion type house on the road that takes you from Wick up to Bath Racecourse. As you go past Tracy Park Golf Course and climb the hill, halfway up is a sharp right hand bend; the house is set back from the road just there. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

I believe he lived in Lansdown

yes, past the racecourse and on the road to the A420.

2 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Close. He lived in "Battlefields", a big mansion type house on the road that takes you from Wick up to Bath Racecourse. As you go past Tracy Park Golf Course and climb the hill, halfway up is a sharp right hand bend; the house is set back from the road just there. 

yes, that's where I was thinking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

It was recently let for £5k a month. 

Every time I drive past it, I either say out loud to whoever is in the car or think in my head...' that's where Palmer lived' ???

I found the fact that every piece of gold manufactured in this country, has a part in it from the robbery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

On The Gold, him and his wife are portrayed as having "westcountry" accents. 

She was from Bath I believe, he wasn't. I think she lives in the area again now. Their daughter used to run a florist shop in Bath,  I knew a bloke that used to go out with Marnie before she hooked up with Palmer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spoonbed said:

And yet he was a brummie? Listened to him on the BBC podcast, and he certainly “don’t speak like we does”

Then the TV adaptation is inaccurate. Bit strange as to why they'd get a Welsh actor to pull a westcountry accent. Wasn't he of traveller origin? Maybe it's a very shit attempt at that... 

• Like 1

This is the best doc on Palmer imo, which shows far more than the series and other docs. Including parts of Bemmy at the time. 

Done by Roger Cook. 

Shows how far he had infiltrated into all levels of society and organisations. 

His reports on his death by ambulance and police are the oddest. 

Shot 6 times in chest and back....yet written down as natural causes. 

Marnie had a slight west country accent. Palmer's was really high pitched and slight midlands twang. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Sounds like you know it very well.

• Haha 1