IGNORED

Reading at home match thread

43 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Large parts of our game are improving and I'm supportive of Pearson and think/hope we'll continue to improve. I know it's not all about one game, but we carelessly threw points away today and I don't think we should shy away from that, we're better than that now. I know that's how it goes sometimes, but we should have put them to the sword and the fact that we didn't was what made it not good enough for me today.

Yep, that’s frustrating, but I think it highlights where we are. I get your view though, it’s probably not dissimilar to mine, we just express in slightly different ways.

7 hours ago, marcofisher said:

It's quite clear the season is fizzling out. I'm excited to see what 3-4 signings next year can do.

We are much weaker without Pring at left back, there were so many gaps down the left that could have been exposed by him overlapping Mehmeti and driving into the box. Unfortunately, JD is not that player. I think Mehmeti was getting frustrated at JD' wastefulness and was just trying to do it himself.

Also, midfield considerably weaker without Scott. 

All in all, not really much to lose sleep over. It's just the point we are at in the season. Pearson happy just to keep the squad ticking over and trying to avoid more injuries.

I think we’ll be looking at closer to 6 signings personally. We’re looking at 4 on the basis of no outgoings, and let’s be honest it’ll take a minor financial miracle for Scott not to go for huge money 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think we’ll be looking at closer to 6 signings personally. We’re looking at 4 on the basis of no outgoings, and let’s be honest it’ll take a minor financial miracle for Scott not to go for huge money 

I still read it as - three or four ready to go, then reflect on what else is needed in the remainder of the summer, maybe influenced by Scott’s sale (if he goes).

• Like 3
16 hours ago, marcofisher said:

I don't think he fits the way Pearson wants to play and I don't think we will even see him offered a deal on reduced terms. Considering his rumoured salary there must be better players in L1/L2 who will better fit the bill, such as the Wimbledon lad we were bidding for in Jan. 

Well, for a good example, look at the Right back. IIRC when we signed Tanner, the then Carlisle manager slagged him off saying he was useless. I think he is getting better and better. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

I’ve rarely seen a more ridiculous rating. Omar is a promising young lad, but he really struggled yesterday. 

I think I see a lad with a lot of potential but not quite there yet at this level. Nor should he be necessarily. 

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

What worries me is the poor form of our most experienced players.

Wells, Weimann are really not showing the leadership I would have expected.

James has done well, but seems to have a chronic ankle injury, 

Williams, Kalas, Naismith poor recent injury records,

Atkinson, Benarous out long term.

Not convinced that O’Leary is a number one.

On the positive side, Vyner has been a revelation, Sykes (poor discipline apart), Tanner, Conway and Pring decent enough.

Not convinced about Bell, Cornick or indeed Mehmeti.

We probably need to sell Scott just to raise the funds to add players, and I believe NP has said he wants proven Championship players, I would wholeheartedly agree with him.

Agree with a lot of the critical comments on yesterday. We need to put games to bed but when we don’t we can’t be conceding goals like that. Top end teams can be wasteful like we were and still see it out 1-0 against modest opposition and let’s be fair Reading were no better than Blackpool the other week.

However, on the flip side, it’s taken us a long time to even be in a position to say “we threw that away” because for a large chunk of the last three seasons it has been us “doing a Reading” on other teams. We are improving but still a long way to go to where Nige needs us to be. All part of the journey.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agree with a lot of the critical comments on yesterday. We need to put games to bed but when we don’t we can’t be conceding goals like that. Top end teams can be wasteful like we were and still see it out 1-0 against modest opposition and let’s be fair Reading were no better than Blackpool the other week.

However, on the flip side, it’s taken us a long time to even be in a position to say “we threw that away” because for a large chunk of the last three seasons it has been us “doing a Reading” on other teams. We are improving but still a long way to go to where Nige needs us to be. All part of the journey.

Vs Huddersfield, Blackpool and now Reading we've displayed clear dominance. Had the better of certain parts v Cardiff took...clear progress and all part of the journey as you say.

The "spread" fwiw on XG pts vs actual now v last season is much lower so that's another indicator, a positive one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watched the highlights back, poor goal to concede for sure.

Are we certain both goals being disallowed was the correct decision. I'm not 100 pct but maybe I should watch back again. Both offside or?

Some promising things but disjointed in some other ways from memory of yesterday. Still should have won of course.

Both offside.

As for the signings they have so called earmarked , I know things change and it can get complicated but I hope we get them all done and dusted nice & early ,under previous regimes we seem to be always playing catch up .

if I remember correctly wasn’t the season we done the double ( god that sounds good under cots ) all our business done very early 

• Like 1
On 01/04/2023 at 22:28, pillred said:

In reality, though whose shoes would you rather be in, I mean they were crap weren't they and got away with a result they and their fans know they did not deserve, overall our trajectory  will mean we will improve as a team, would you as a Reading fan be able to say the same? 

I think the concern as a city fan is whilst you're correct in theory, in practice we're still making the same mistakes we've made for almost 2-3 years now. We've improved in areas but yesterday's goal was another league one level of defending, not picking up or pressuring the obvious big target, not marking up the secondary options when he win the header and generally just ball watching rather than defending as a team. Our defending has improved in areas but when it comes to teams who are set piece teams we fail to do the basics and that leads to goals like Readings equaliser, it's grass roots stuff and it's still happening consistently. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Spike said:

I think the concern as a city fan is whilst you're correct in theory, in practice we're still making the same mistakes we've made for almost 2-3 years now. We've improved in areas but yesterday's goal was another league one level of defending, not picking up or pressuring the obvious big target, not marking up the secondary options when he win the header and generally just ball watching rather than defending as a team. Our defending has improved in areas but when it comes to teams who are set piece teams we fail to do the basics and that leads to goals like Readings equaliser, it's grass roots stuff and it's still happening consistently. 

But if we had our 2 first choice centre half’s fit would they score that goal same applies for the one at Swansea ,

just a thought all ifs and buts 

• Robin 1
On 03/04/2023 at 19:37, redkev said:

But if we had our 2 first choice centre half’s fit would they score that goal same applies for the one at Swansea ,

just a thought all ifs and buts 

Oh yeah, I just can't help but lack a little confidence when we're still making very basic mistakes. We'll never be a majorly dominating team but we do need to tighten up with the basics.

I'd say we lack threat on set pieces, we get into good crossing positions but don't have a man in the box to make the most of it, we lack threats with long range shots but do make those opportunities and we're still making mistakes when defending like being drawn out and leaving spaces in dangerous positions. These all need to be addressed if we really want to kick on.