IGNORED

Adam Webster

Miss placed loyalty no doubt given his link to the club, but what does he have to do to get into the England squad???

Looking at the last squad, a centre back that doesn’t play for his club is starting and on the bench is Dier who is having a more than mixed season at Spurs and Guehi who is hardly having a standout season for Palace.

Webster is playing a key part in Brighton team who with their games in hand could find themselves third in the premier league!

It’s absolute madness.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Miss placed loyalty no doubt given his link to the club, but what does he have to do to get into the England squad???

Looking at the last squad, a centre back that doesn’t play for his club is starting and on the bench is Dier who is having a more than mixed season at Spurs and Guehi who is hardly having a standout season for Palace.

Webster is playing a key part in Brighton team who with their games in hand could find themselves third in the premier league!

It’s absolute madness.

All I would say is that whenever I see a Brighton fan opinion on social media or forums they do love Webster but pretty much all seem to think Dunk is better. And Dunk isn’t even in. I don’t watch enough Premier League football to have an opinion but thought that a counter point worth making 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

All I would say is that whenever I see a Brighton fan opinion on social media or forums they do love Webster but pretty much all seem to think Dunk is better. And Dunk isn’t even in. I don’t watch enough Premier League football to have an opinion but thought that a counter point worth making 

It’s a fair shout. As I said, probably miss placed loyalty. Good argument for Dunk as well a Tomori at Milan.

• Like 2

I can't fathom it either. When England played Italy recently we had Stones and Maguire at the back. Stones can't get a game with his club side in that position and Maguire's indifferent form has him relegated to the subs bench for his club. That lack of first team game minutes certainly contributed to a shaky second half. Yet they are deemed good enough for the National side. On the bench is Dier, a failed midfielder turned central defender.

All this while the manager has publicly bemoaned the lack of English talent. Perhaps he needs to look beyond Chelsea, Manchester's two clubs and Liverpool.

Incredible.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Swede said:

I can't fathom it either. When England played Italy recently we had Stones and Maguire at the back. Stones can't get a game with his club side in that position and Maguire's indifferent form has him relegated to the subs bench for his club. That lack of first team game minutes certainly contributed to a shaky second half. Yet they are deemed good enough for the National side. On the bench is Dier, a failed midfielder turned central defender.

All this while the manager has publicly bemoaned the lack of English talent. Perhaps he needs to look beyond Chelsea, Manchester's two clubs and Liverpool.

Incredible.

People don’t realise just how good Stones is. He’s so good ? we’re so lucky to have him. 

Maguire also usually pretty good for England, them two as a pairing have done pretty well so I can see why Southgate sticks with them despite all the fan pressure to change.

Never rated Dier much, but think Guehi gets in as a left footer for balance tbh. 

Also, I think webster has been on the bench quite a bit this season hasn't he? 

• Like 10

Webster would have to be first choice, fit and available at his club first...

He hasn't always been all those things the last two seasons. Only 16 starts last season and 18 this in the league.

He'll be some way down the pecking order. Notably, as the poster before says, behind Lewis Dunk I am sure.

50 minutes ago, Swede said:

Incredible.

Stones is easily the best English centre back. Head and shoulders above the rest. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s absolute madness.

It is misplaced loyalty im afraid 

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

And you see how good Maguire is playing alongside him with the confidence of how good his partner is in defence- am sure if Harry played with him at club level his form would be as good as it, usually, is for England 

Are you saying Stones is measurably better than Varane and Martinez? That is obviously not the case.

The main reason Maguire doesn't play for Man Utd is he isn't on the level of the latter two

I don’t watch enough Prem football to comment on how players are playing for their clubs, but Webster has only started 18 league games for Brighton this season, it was just 16 last, he’s perceived as a bit injury prone or at least his availability has to be managed.

I think the ship has sailed for him on a chance for England, just like it has for another big money move.

• Like 1

Going off the subject on Webster but what a fantastic season Brighton are having, They play some superb football and now score goals which they have always struggled to do. 

Sure there will be a lot of interest in players this summer.

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s a fair shout. As I said, probably miss placed loyalty. Good argument for Dunk as well a Tomori at Milan.

Dunk played for us aswell, just..!

So you could share your misplaced loyalty to cover him aswell.

It is a surprise that Webster hasn't even made it into a squad as yet.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Going off the subject on Webster but what a fantastic season Brighton are having, They play some superb football and now score goals which they have always struggled to do. 

Sure there will be a lot of interest in players this summer.

They're a great side who have been managed very well by Graham Potter and now De Zerbi. A seemless transition which was no doubt expertly planned by Tony Bloom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomF said:

And you see how good Maguire is playing alongside him with the confidence of how good his partner is in defence- am sure if Harry played with him at club level his form would be as good as it, usually, is for England 

Always feel a bit sorry for Maguire that he often plays on the LHS of a two while being predominantly right footed.

10 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Webster would have to be first choice, fit and available at his club first...

He hasn't always been all those things the last two seasons. Only 16 starts last season and 18 this in the league.

He'll be some way down the pecking order. Notably, as the poster before says, behind Lewis Dunk I am sure.

Go get 'im Steve. Bring him home.

• Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

51 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A semi, a final and a Quarters pretty much makes Southgate our most successful manager of all time, Ramsey won a home WC and did nothing after...

What's made him successful has been creating a club atmosphere at international level. Stones is the best English centre back by a country mile, its not even close to whoever is second. Maguire has never had a bad game for England. 

Think he's earned the right to do whatever he wants tbh. 

Just a world cup then, what a shit manager Ramsey must have been!

55 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A semi, a final and a Quarters pretty much makes Southgate our most successful manager of all time, Ramsey won a home WC and did nothing after...

What's made him successful has been creating a club atmosphere at international level. Stones is the best English centre back by a country mile, its not even close to whoever is second. Maguire has never had a bad game for England. 

He's still only beat one decent side really in his years in charge (Germany).

That, paired with extremely boring, defensive, slow football. He's not won anything, and that to me shows no success. Going off topic though, I apologise.

Dunk will be over Webster 100%, Villa aren't playing badly, so maybe Mings gets back in, and Konsa also gets a look in (I'd prefer Konsa). Ben Mee is a fantastic player I think, who will be over Webster, and that's not including the two abroad - Tomori has recovered from poor form at the start of the season and Smalling has been playing good football for a couple of years now.

I think the ship has sailed for Webster representing England unfortunately due to the amount of options available.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, Dredd said:

I wonder if there's more money for us in a clause of Brighton qualifying for Europe?

It's the £10m bonus clause we included if Webster gets an England call up that's the issue.

Whenever Southgate enquires about Webster for selection,  Brighton tell him he's not good enough!

:)

2 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I've never felt a more strong affinity with the national side. It's the first team where I've liked every player with the shirt on and given a toss about qualification matches etc.

Southgate has created that. 

I agree, I think that Southgate has made the team very well knitted together, and they all seem to be very close, which is fantastic, and that's why England are so much better off now and for the future, but I don't think he's the man to take us over the line and winning silverware. Argument for both sides - he's got us far in tournaments, but his team selections along with contradicting reasoning and management in games are very questionable. 

One thing I am with Southgate on is not picking Adam Webster - love the man, loved him at City, but with the current crop available and not making the side, don't think he should be getting a look in, albeit despite him having great ability. Don't want this thread to turn into a Southgate in or out, I'm sure there's been about 30 of them!

1 hour ago, BCFCAL said:

He's still only beat one decent side really in his years in charge (Germany).

Beat the reigning European champions in their own back yard just a couple of weeks ago. 

Beat the 2018 World Cup finalists (and 2022 World Cup semi-finalists) in England's last two competitive games against them. 

Beat the world's number 1 ranked team in a competitive game in October 2020. 

Beat Spain in Seville (extremely few teams beat Spain in their own back yard). 

Beat the champions of Africa comprehensively in Qatar.  

9 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

All Webster needs to do is sign for one of the big clubs and sit on thier bench or be injured for most of the season and he will be called up 

See Phillips at Manchester City

Or Maguire at utd as examples

Phillips was called up when he was at Leeds wasn't he?

5 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I do think that despite what he says Southgate appears to favour the bigger clubs, and seems to put the same players in regardless of their club form and yet says he picks players on form. I also think that there has been occasion when Maguire has been poor recently maybe because he is trying too hard. 

Just now, E.G.Red said:

I do think that despite what he says Southgate appears to favour the bigger clubs, and seems to put the same players in regardless of their club form and yet says he picks players on form. I also think that there has been occasion when Maguire has been poor recently maybe because he is trying too hard. 

I guess to some extent, they are at the best clubs because they are the best.  A rather simplistic take I know.