IGNORED

Rewards - Discussion with club

Silvio Dante

Mods - can you leave this one unmerged for a while so it doesn’t get lost.

I’ve had a phone call with the rewards scheme earlier and thought it would be handy to give details of the discussion as we covered a lot of ground. Firstly, and most importantly, I’d say the club were open and receptive, and also acknowledged things haven’t been perfect to date. The following were discussed:

Stock/Rewards Availability

This was acknowledged as a big problem. Because of when the club launched the rewards, people held a large number of points they’d built up over the season. Stock levels haven’t kept pace with the points, and it means rewards are disappearing from the site as soon as live. Although not said, I also suspect the Hummel distribution factor hasn’t helped. The club are undertaking a planning exercise and looking to order items specifically for rewards so there is a consistent stock. Example here was the footballs that came on this week. This will obviously have lead time though, but the plan is to order (say) 1000 scarves, 500 footballs etc specifically for rewards so people will have choice and availability. (In practical terms this feels like a next season solution)

We discussed items that could go on the site “easily” in the shorter term and they are looking at upping the availability of vouchers, offering Robins TV vouchers (subject to broadcasting restrictions) and signed photographs. None confirmed as yet but things being considered and in pipeline.

I didn’t discuss points allocated to each reward - think that’s a lower concern.

Transfer Of Points

Doesn’t/Can’t happen. The scheme is based on points being specific to a user and not one person “hoarding” points - in a lot of ways, that makes sense. If, say, they offered a reward of being in a team photo at 2000 points then you’d want the person who’s earned the points themselves to have the opportunity rather than someone who’d pooled three points from multiple family members.

On a practical note, the points are now earned on a rolling basis - so it wouldn’t be a “one and done” transfer if possible, it’d be points being asked to move by some people weekly. As the platform is third party, any request would have to go to the third party and it’s likely this would be a nigh on full time job in itself.

Childrens Rewards & Access

The lack of being able to transfer points, however, leads to the biggest problem - children who don’t have an email address and therefore can’t access their earned points. The current requirement is for kids to have their own email, and the club can do some manual linkage if their prior purchases (as mine were) are linked to parents account. However, I pointed out that not everyone can have access to a second/third email account they can use. The club acknowledged this was an issue, and the biggest query they get.

They have raised it with the third party provider who have said it’s not possible to have multiple accounts on one mail and “toggle”. This provider also does Arsenal rewards on a similar basis - I said that was insane practically, as kids don’t always have emails. The club are going to challenge the provider on this basis and explain they need some kind of parent functionality.

On the subject of Children, there is a plan to have a separate specific juniors rewards portal/section next season (so you can get your Unicorns there). This should alleviate the concern about minors effectively entering lotteries. Again, seems a great idea but as I said to the club, will fail unless there is the ability to access which is lacking at the moment.

My overarching impression was the club know it’s not right currently, and they probably launched before it was fully right. However, I think they know the problems and are looking to resolve them - but again, unless the access is resolved I’d think there is a major barrier.

Hope this helps - if there are questions shout and I can tell you if we covered them!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 2

Just had a look at the rewards on offer. I'll give you the jackets and club shop voucher. But who wants a pack of golf tees or a lanyard and I can't imagine that bottle openers are the biggest seller in the club shop either. More relevant rewards would be a start.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mods - can you leave this one unmerged for a while so it doesn’t get lost.

I’ve had a phone call with the rewards scheme earlier and thought it would be handy to give details of the discussion as we covered a lot of ground. Firstly, and most importantly, I’d say the club were open and receptive, and also acknowledged things haven’t been perfect to date. The following were discussed:

Stock/Rewards Availability

This was acknowledged as a big problem. Because of when the club launched the rewards, people held a large number of points they’d built up over the season. Stock levels haven’t kept pace with the points, and it means rewards are disappearing from the site as soon as live. Although not said, I also suspect the Hummel distribution factor hasn’t helped. The club are undertaking a planning exercise and looking to order items specifically for rewards so there is a consistent stock. Example here was the footballs that came on this week. This will obviously have lead time though, but the plan is to order (say) 1000 scarves, 500 footballs etc specifically for rewards so people will have choice and availability. (In practical terms this feels like a next season solution)

We discussed items that could go on the site “easily” in the shorter term and they are looking at upping the availability of vouchers, offering Robins TV vouchers (subject to broadcasting restrictions) and signed photographs. None confirmed as yet but things being considered and in pipeline.

I didn’t discuss points allocated to each reward - think that’s a lower concern.

Transfer Of Points

Doesn’t/Can’t happen. The scheme is based on points being specific to a user and not one person “hoarding” points - in a lot of ways, that makes sense. If, say, they offered a reward of being in a team photo at 2000 points then you’d want the person who’s earned the points themselves to have the opportunity rather than someone who’d pooled three points from multiple family members.

On a practical note, the points are now earned on a rolling basis - so it wouldn’t be a “one and done” transfer if possible, it’d be points being asked to move by some people weekly. As the platform is third party, any request would have to go to the third party and it’s likely this would be a nigh on full time job in itself.

Childrens Rewards & Access

The lack of being able to transfer points, however, leads to the biggest problem - children who don’t have an email address and therefore can’t access their earned points. The current requirement is for kids to have their own email, and the club can do some manual linkage if their prior purchases (as mine were) are linked to parents account. However, I pointed out that not everyone can have access to a second/third email account they can use. The club acknowledged this was an issue, and the biggest query they get.

They have raised it with the third party provider who have said it’s not possible to have multiple accounts on one mail and “toggle”. This provider also does Arsenal rewards on a similar basis - I said that was insane practically, as kids don’t always have emails. The club are going to challenge the provider on this basis and explain they need some kind of parent functionality.

On the subject of Children, there is a plan to have a separate specific juniors rewards portal/section next season (so you can get your Unicorns there). This should alleviate the concern about minors effectively entering lotteries. Again, seems a great idea but as I said to the club, will fail unless there is the ability to access which is lacking at the moment.

My overarching impression was the club know it’s not right currently, and they probably launched before it was fully right. However, I think they know the problems and are looking to resolve them - but again, unless the access is resolved I’d think there is a major barrier.

Hope this helps - if there are questions shout and I can tell you if we covered them!

Thanks for that.

Do you fancy taking on the @JerrySLO job?!

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

Thanks for that.

Do you fancy taking on the @JerrySLO job?!

??

Tbf, I don’t know how much they consulted with Jerry before launch. I think a blind man with a bag over his head could have seen the issue over kids IDs so that is a huge miss (which Jerry should have probably flagged), but the stock shortage I’m inclined to believe is a combination of circumstances.

What I would say is that the gent was very open and knew his stuff. It’s insane that a release along the lines of my post hasn’t come out just to manage expectations.

Next week - food vouchers ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Without wanting to derail the thread - this was exactly the same impression I got from the Club when I discussed the third kit/"Robin" badge with them.

Well done for getting onto them.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

??

Tbf, I don’t know how much they consulted with Jerry before launch. I think a blind man with a bag over his head could have seen the issue over kids IDs so that is a huge miss (which Jerry should have probably flagged), but the stock shortage I’m inclined to believe is a combination of circumstances.

What I would say is that the gent was very open and knew his stuff. It’s insane that a release along the lines of my post hasn’t come out just to manage expectations.

Next week - food vouchers ?

I think @JerrySLO and the the supporters trust have given up on liaising between fans and the club on wide spread issues.

Happy to sort tickets issues or awards but that’s it.

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Henry said:

I think @JerrySLO and the the supporters trust have given up on liaising between fans and the club on wide spread issues.

Happy to sort tickets issues or awards but that’s it.

Not true, shame you didn't take the opportunity to attend the online meeting this evening to appreciate how much is actually done 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Not true, shame you didn't take the opportunity to attend the online meeting this evening to appreciate how much is actually done 

I shouldn’t have to attend a two hour zoom meeting to find out.

Theres been no public statement or pressure about this issue or the club changing the badge.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Henry said:

I shouldn’t have to attend a two hour zoom meeting to find out.

Theres been no public statement or pressure about this issue or the club changing the badge.

Very true, I'm not on the board but attend when I can so to keep up to date with information and I also have the opportunity to ask questions like I did last night

I understand your frustration, but believe you may find it of use to attend in May? - you don't have to stay online the full meeting as obviously some items on the agenda will not be of interest, but as a football fan of Bristol City I find the meetings very informative

Sometimes there is no point making a statement until there is anything to update, otherwise it is a bit pointless

Out of interest where have you been looking for information on the SC&T?

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very true, I'm not on the board but attend when I can so to keep up to date with information and I also have the opportunity to ask questions like I did last night

I understand your frustration, but believe you may find it of use to attend in May? - you don't have to stay online the full meeting as obviously some items on the agenda will not be of interest, but as a football fan of Bristol City I find the meetings very informative

Sometimes there is no point making a statement until there is anything to update, otherwise it is a bit pointless

Are the meetings available to view at a later date (I assume that they record them).

17 hours ago, phantom said:

I’m on here daily and follow several City/local news pages on social media. I shouldn’t have to look much harder.

Other teams trust actively seek views from their fan bases, apply public pressure by releasing statements when their club does something stupid.

Do you not think other teams trusts’ would just accept a mid season badge change?

• Flames 1

• Admin
6 hours ago, Henry said:

I’m on here daily and follow several City/local news pages on social media. I shouldn’t have to look much harder.

Other teams trust actively seek views from their fan bases, apply public pressure by releasing statements when their club does something stupid.

Do you not think other teams trusts’ would just accept a mid season badge change?

How do you know they have? 

Well if you don't look for the information I guess you won't know it

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

How do you know they have? 

Well if you don't look for the information I guess you won't know it

As you haven’t really read my post and have twisted what I’ve said.

If you’re happy with how the club act and how they are held to account then fair enough.