IGNORED

Power hits two consecutive holes in one at Masters par 3 contest.

Jerseybean

The odds on that are nuts. 

I've had a few. 

Sevy in all his years never made one. 

He even spent a whole day on a par three trying to get one. 

Arguably one of the best of players ever... yet amateurs make them. 

Would rather make an albatross tbh. 

This year's masters could throw up an upset if the weather forecast stays. 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

The odds on that are nuts. 

I've had a few. 

Sevy in all his years never made one. 

He even spent a whole day on a par three trying to get one. 

Arguably one of the best of players ever... yet amateurs make them. 

Would rather make an albatross tbh. 

This year's masters could throw up an upset if the weather forecast stays. 

I’ve never had one in 40 years of playing on and off. Hit the pole a few times.

Those who flourish in the par 3 rarely do well in the main event. But still, an incredible feat

9 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Those who flourish in the par 3 rarely do well in the main event. But still, an incredible feat

Yes...I was tempted to add ' don't bet on him doing well', as you rightly say, those doing well on par 3 , rarely do well in the actual  main event. 

As an old git' who learnt with blades and persimmon, and got down to single figures using such like, I'm hoping golf bucks it's ideas up. Tradition is deep within many of us. I often look back at what was 'achievable' and considered ' normal'.  It's become trapped between the R&A and LIV....and so much money.

In such a fast time, as life has become, it can't cope. 

Golf imo...really is the sport that covers everything in life. 

You need to play it to understand. 

The rules, regulations, self referring, etiquette, humbleness. 

It's the only sport I know that you want to win, but will do everything in your power to play fair, even edging towards losing if it's a 50/50. 

I learnt more from the age of 12 being a junior member at a golf club, than I did at school or Uni, when it came to life skills and business. It's forever imprinted on my brain how lucky I was in meeting certain people, especially, at the time, coming from a working background. Now...open to everyone thankfully.

It's the one thing I'd recommend to anyone else with young kids. 

Get them into golf and a club. 

They learn more about life skills than they do at school. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...I was tempted to add ' don't bet on him doing well', as you rightly say, those doing well on par 3 , rarely do well in the actual  main event. 

As an old git' who learnt with blades and persimmon, and got down to single figures using such like, I'm hoping golf bucks it's ideas up. Tradition is deep within many of us. I often look back at what was 'achievable' and considered ' normal'.  It's become trapped between the R&A and LIV....and so much money.

In such a fast time, as life has become, it can't cope. 

Golf imo...really is the sport that covers everything in life. 

You need to play it to understand. 

The rules, regulations, self referring, etiquette, humbleness. 

It's the only sport I know that you want to win, but will do everything in your power to play fair, even edging towards losing if it's a 50/50. 

I learnt more from the age of 12 being a junior member at a golf club, than I did at school or Uni, when it came to life skills and business. It's forever imprinted on my brain how lucky I was in meeting certain people, especially, at the time, coming from a working background. Now...open to everyone thankfully.

It's the one thing I'd recommend to anyone else with young kids. 

Get them into golf and a club. 

They learn more about life skills than they do at school. 

Agree, you can learn an awful lot about a person when you play a round of golf with them. Those who casually disregard the rules and etiquette you may not trust in business or friendship.

I guess that’s why a lot of business is done on the golf course.

I only play with the same mates nowadays and it’s years since I played in competitions and societies. I do wonder if things are still the same.

At our course a while back and certainly not the first time, I was repairing about 3 or 4 pitch marks on each green, only one or often none of which were mine, the process of creating a pitch mark means you’re good enough to hit the green from a fair distance so unlikely to be a beginner but not familiar enough with golf etiquette to repair their pitch mark.

It was annoying me more than it probably should. 

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Agree, you can learn an awful lot about a person when you play a round of golf with them. Those who casually disregard the rules and etiquette you may not trust in business or friendship.

I guess that’s why a lot of business is done on the golf course.

I only play with the same mates nowadays and it’s years since I played in competitions and societies. I do wonder if things are still the same.

At our course a while back and certainly not the first time, I was repairing about 3 or 4 pitch marks on each green, only one or often none of which were mine, the process of creating a pitch mark means you’re good enough to hit the green from a fair distance so unlikely to be a beginner but not familiar enough with golf etiquette to repair their pitch mark.

It was annoying me more than it probably should. 

It’s also amazing how little skill some have to repairing a pitch mark. They do more damage than good. I’m far from a snob as possible but I also can’t stand golf clubs that allow sharing or clubs or ridiculous attire.

Places like  Woodlands for example I won’t play for this reason, also people drinking cans of shit lager annoys me whilst playing.

14 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

It’s also amazing how little skill some have to repairing a pitch mark. They do more damage than good. I’m far from a snob as possible but I also can’t stand golf clubs that allow sharing or clubs or ridiculous attire.

Places like  Woodlands for example I won’t play for this reason, also people drinking cans of shit lager annoys me whilst playing.

Yes, I love the fact anyone can play nowadays, it was very elite when I was a kid, women weren’t even allowed in certain clubhouses except for special occasions. I certainly wouldn’t want to be part of the sport if it was like that still.

But there’s still etiquette to follow or the courses and the game will suffer. 

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

You don't sound "far from a snob as possible" if you think you look better in your baggy slazenger trousers and droopy polo than anyone else's clothing choices. 

Having been a member of a golf course since covid, its noticeable that it is the older and established generation of members who don't repair pitch marks, don't respect roped off areas, drive their buggies through the rough and never ever repair divots. They also slow the play down and do everything they can to limit the fun that golf can be.

But my pineapple polo and hoodie are the real threat to golf.... ?

I’m not that old mate. What I mean is manners and etiquette cost nothing.

Knowing when and how to let a group play through you is a dying art. It depends on the course / club etc but I can’t think of anything worse than spending 5 hours waiting on every tee watching a group of “gentleman” dressed in football shirts and cargo shorts taking 15 shots on a par 4 whilst taking a minute over a 4 foot putt then celebrating by taking a swig from his strongbow can…

• Flames 1

50 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's odd, I've played probably 350 rounds in the last 3 and a bit years, many of them at Woodlands, the lakeside 9 hole at my club and also many of the more established "championship" courses in the area and I have never once seen what you describe. I've coached some newbies on the importance of shouting "fore" but the younger players seem to be far more capable of accepting a mistake and apologising.

I have seen dozens of older members, people you would expect to know the etiquette, mark scorecards on the green, refuse to adopt "ready golf", refuse to let faster groups through, cheat, damage the course, never shout "fore", continue to remove the flag during covid, etc etc. 

4 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

You don't sound "far from a snob as possible" if you think you look better in your baggy slazenger trousers and droopy polo than anyone else's clothing choices. 

Having been a member of a golf course since covid, its noticeable that it is the older and established generation of members who don't repair pitch marks, don't respect roped off areas, drive their buggies through the rough and never ever repair divots. They also slow the play down and do everything they can to limit the fun that golf can be.

But my pineapple polo and hoodie are the real threat to golf.... ?

If you've played 350 rounds of Golf and you still don't understand golf etiquette, tradition and protocol then you haven't been playing at the right places.

Edited by OneTeamInBristol

4 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

It's odd, I've played probably 350 rounds in the last 3 and a bit years, many of them at Woodlands, the lakeside 9 hole at my club and also many of the more established "championship" courses in the area and I have never once seen what you describe. I've coached some newbies on the importance of shouting "fore" but the younger players seem to be far more capable of accepting a mistake and apologising.

I have seen dozens of older members, people you would expect to know the etiquette, mark scorecards on the green, refuse to adopt "ready golf", refuse to let faster groups through, cheat, damage the course, never shout "fore", continue to remove the flag during covid, etc etc. 

Try woodlands on a hot summers day, Mangotsfield used to be the same (not shut). Thornbury can also have issues but not that common. 

Courses I like to play locally -

The Bristol

Tracey Park (Crown Course)

Stinchcombe.

Castle Combe.

Players.

Kendleshire.

Bowood.

10 hours ago, Pearsonistheman said:

I’ve never had a problem at woodlands - they have done a good job there i reckon.

Anyone got any bets? 

Scheffler (15/2) on Sky's hotshots bet £5 'to win' but get £1 per birdie on first round in free bets 

40/1 Sky's 'deja vu' bet, Scheffler 1st and McIlroy 2nd 

Fitzpatrick E/W 30/1

Hovland EW 28/1

Lowry EW 35/1

Burns EW 28/1

Pereira EW 70/1

On 05/04/2023 at 22:23, ralphindevon said:

My father in law took up golf about 4 years ago at 60 when he retired, he’s hit 2 holes in one and playing off 19!! He’s also hit a 9 darter.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob k said:

My father in law took up golf about 4 years ago at 60 when he retired, he’s hit 2 holes in one and playing off 19!! He’s also hit a 9 darter.

Anytime I hear stories like this I wonder whether the best person at any sport or event is yet to be found. My favourite story is that of Bobby George who had never picked up a dart until he went on an fishing trip in Ireland. He was so seasick they took him back to shore, where a friend asked him to play darts to take his mind off the sickness, he said he had never played before because "it's a poofs game", to cut a long story short 10 weeks later he was in the quarter finals of the World Championships. He had no nerves because he had no clue who he was playing, and the rest as they say is history.

On 08/04/2023 at 23:39, Port Said Red said:

Anytime I hear stories like this I wonder whether the best person at any sport or event is yet to be found. My favourite story is that of Bobby George who had never picked up a dart until he went on a fishing trip in Ireland. He was so seasick they took him back to shore, where a friend asked him to play darts to take his mind off the sickness, he said he had never played before because "it's a poofs game", to cut a long story short 10 weeks later he was in the quarter finals of the World Championships. He had no nerves because he had no clue who he was playing, and the rest as they say is history.

I’m not sure he was in the quarter finals a few weeks later. More like a few years later maybe.  Think he started playing darts in 1975

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m not sure he was in the quarter finals a few weeks later. More like a few years later maybe.  Think he started playing darts in 1975

I am just going by the story that he told Colin Murray in an interview, Maybe it was the UK Champs? https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/at-home-s2e08-bobby-george/id1229088863?i=1000407279788

On 10/04/2024 at 09:25, And Its Smith said:

These 6 for me for tomorrow.  Luckily my lad is now golf obsessed so I can watch it all with him guilt free!

IMG_4583.png

2 of those 6 for me all my bets are e/w, just used money left in my account from PGA as I broke even

• Nicolai Hojgaard - 100/1
  • Ludvig Aberg - 25/1
  • Ryan Fox - 100/1 🤞
  • Sepp Straka - 100/1
  • Bubba Watson - 110/1
  • Sahith Theegala - 30/1
  • Wyndham Clark - 25/1
  • Victor Hovland - 25/1

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

2 of those 6 for me all my bets are e/w, just used money left in my account from PGA as I broke even

• Nicolai Hojgaard - 100/1
  • Ludvig Aberg - 25/1
  • Ryan Fox - 100/1 🤞
  • Sepp Straka - 100/1
  • Bubba Watson - 110/1
  • Sahith Theegala - 30/1
  • Wyndham Clark - 25/1
  • Victor Hovland - 25/1

Good luck!