IGNORED

Watford to change manager? (yet again)

AberRed

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-watford-to-sack-chris-wilder-make-contact-with-34-year-old-to-replace-him/

Not entirely sure I trust this source but you wouldn't put it past them would you?

I would say this'll hopefully make this weekend's game a little easier but by now, managerial chaos must just be the default state at Watford now

A very strange club. Those "loan" players moving between the owners three clubs must completely undermine any new manager's ideas.

Just look at Rob Edwards, didn't last long there but just look at the job he's doing at Luton with a lot less resources at his disposal. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Swede said:

A very strange club. Those "loan" players moving between the owners three clubs must completely undermine any new manager's ideas.

Just look at Rob Edwards, didn't last long there but just look at the job he's doing at Luton with a lot less resources at his disposal. 

Doing a cracking job for their local rivals too, that must stick in their throats a bit!! I can’t stand Watford, if there was a team I’d like to see slide down the divisions it would be them and it’s purely down to the way they go through managers, it’s ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I do wonder what the process of choosing managers is. Do they just put around 500 names in a large hat and then get some child to be blindfolded and pick one. 

Everyone has a mate like Watford.  Hits on several hundred women, basically anything with a pulse, on the basis that one time in every 200 he'll be successful. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

They are a joke of a football club.

It's up to them how they manage their club.

They've been in the top flight a lot more recently than any other time in their history really (about equivalent to the 80s).

So - to be honest, you'd probably have to say it works for them.

Don't see why this makes them 'a joke'

Managers know what the owners are like, they agree to do the job. They probably know it won't last and enjoy the money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

They've been in the top flight a lot more recently than any other time in their history really (about equivalent to the 80s).

Managers know what the owners are like, they agree to do the job. They probably know it won't last and enjoy the money.

And how long do they stay there? Mid table in the championship suggests it's not working. Getting rid of Rob Edwards after 11 games was a massive mistake.

22 minutes ago, Super said:

And how long do they stay there? Mid table in the championship suggests it's not working. Getting rid of Rob Edwards after 11 games was a massive mistake.

15-16 prem - 13th, FA Cup Semi Final

16-17 prem - 17th

17-18 prem - 14th

18-19 prem - 11th, FA Cup Final

19-20 prem - 19th (relegated)

20-21 Champ - 2nd promoted

21-22 Prem - 19th (relegated)

So to answer your question... 5 seasons the first time? Two good cup runs, some great results. I am sure the fans enjoyed the ride.

I think you're suffering from a short memory, personally.

27 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

15-16 prem - 13th, FA Cup Semi Final

16-17 prem - 17th

17-18 prem - 14th

18-19 prem - 11th, FA Cup Final

19-20 prem - 19th (relegated)

20-21 Champ - 2nd promoted

21-22 Prem - 19th (relegated)

So to answer your question... 5 seasons the first time? Two good cup runs, some great results. I am sure the fans enjoyed the ride.

I think you're suffering from a short memory, personally.

Fair point. 

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Nige has since confirmed as much when talking about his time in charge there. Knew he might not get more than a few months so just tried to do his best and enjoy it, knowing that it probably wouldn't harm his reputation too much.

I think it worked up to a point. Only takes one or two bad appointments or hasty sackings though and then you're in a downward spiral!

I would say sacking Silva was probably harsh although he's had his ups and downs.

Sacking Gracia most definitely was. Seemed early given his track record.

NP may or may not have kept them up but that was ridiculous.

Edwards- could argue Munoz too, took them up and averaging about a point a game. Not like Hodgson or Ranieri outstripped...

To make another observation they really seem in a hurry to get back up don't they. This season.

Checked their records. Edwards averaged 1.4 pts per game (P10Pts14), Wilder so far has 5 from 6.

Bilic with 37 from 25 is certainly the best and you'd have assumed best bet of the 3 for next season in a 2 year plan scenario but...like I say seem very keen to go straight back up. FFP or cash flow perhaps a factor here.

Still a Telegraph article says 2 wins in 14 so maybe not but yeah they seem in a mad hurry to get back up this season.

Not City related but a good article in any event.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/13/how-watford-became-the-laughing-stock-of-the-championship/

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To make another observation they really seem in a hurry to get back up don't they. This season.

Checked their records. Edwards averaged 1.4 pts per game (P10Pts14), Wilder so far has 5 from 6.

Bilic with 37 from 25 is certainly the best and you'd have assumed best bet of the 3 for next season in a 2 year plan scenario but...like I say seem very keen to go straight back up. FFP or cash flow perhaps a factor here.

Still a Telegraph article says 2 wins in 14 so maybe not but yeah they seem in a mad hurry to get back up this season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/04/13/how-watford-became-the-laughing-stock-of-the-championship/

Please can you cut and paste the article? Pesky paywalls.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Basically the board wanted us to get promoted (we won't be) because we're about 100 million in debt...

We will be losing loads of players in the summer and not getting many in.

Mind you a lot won't be missed by the fans but most expect tough times to come.

On 12/04/2023 at 14:58, Super said:

Basically the CEO said he was a long term option and was going to be backed but the owner took over and sacked him for a few iffy results when actually it wasn't too bad compared to as other say the record of the managers since!

On 12/04/2023 at 17:21, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it worked up to a point. Only takes one or two bad appointments or hasty sackings though and then you're in a downward spiral!

I would say sacking Silva was probably harsh although he's had his ups and downs.

Sacking Gracia most definitely was. Seemed early given his track record.

NP may or may not have kept them up but that was ridiculous.

Edwards- could argue Munoz too, took them up and averaging about a point a game. Not like Hodgson or Ranieri outstripped...

Pearson went for non-footballing reasons if you believe the rumours and allegations but he was doing a good job although COVID got in the way.

Munoz was unlucky but many fans weren't fussed to see him go really as they thought he was "out of his depth" - but as you say the next 2 hardly fared better. 

Silva was sacked as basically he was fully focused on going to Everton - a move both probably regret.

Agree on Gracia but suspect the 6-0 defeat to Man City in the cup final bruised a few egos.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Basically the board wanted us to get promoted (we won't be) because we're about 100 million in debt...

Basically the CEO said he was a long term option and was going to be backed but the owner took over and sacked him for a few iffy results when actually it wasn't too bad compared to as other say the record of the managers since!

Pearson went for non-footballing reasons if you believe the rumours and allegations but he was doing a good job although COVID got in the way.

Munoz was unlucky but many fans weren't fussed to see him go really as they thought he was "out of his depth" - but as you say the next 2 hardly fared better. 

Silva was sacked as basically he was fully focused on going to Everton - a move both probably regret.

Agree on Gracia but suspect the 6-0 defeat to Man City in the cup final bruised a few egos.

A very interesting insight.

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A very interesting insight.

Many Thanks.

Seconded- that is a strong insight, many thanks for it- and NP non-footballing reasons I did wonder.

He's been quite unlucky in his career in some ways IMO albeit we are lucky to have him. I'm possibly biased but I honestly think he could hold his own as manager of a bottom third to perhaps lower midtable PL side.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous