IGNORED

The biggest club to be relegated out of the league

Lanterne Rouge

Reading the Wrexham v Notts County thread got me thinking. With so many clubs having been relegated out of the league since automatic relegation became a thing who are the `biggest` club to suffer it? I know it`s difficult to quantify but my pick would be Luton. There are a fair few other contenders though so what do you think?

We all know that there are one club who went out that consider themselves bigger than Norwich or West Ham but let`s be realistic!

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Reading the Wrexham v Notts County thread got me thinking. With so many clubs having been relegated out of the league since automatic relegation became a thing who are the `biggest` club to suffer it? I know it`s difficult to quantify but my pick would be Luton. There are a fair few other contenders though so what do you think?

We all know that there are one club who went out that consider themselves bigger than Norwich or West Ham but let`s be realistic!

You're probably right.  Other than the Gappers, Tranmere and Oldham have been successful at various times of their history. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Oldham or Luton for sure, although I lean slightly towards Luton as the bigger “name” of the two based on the 80s & 90s. 

Given that they really only went out due to massive points deductions then I tend to agree.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

in the old Division One a very long time ago too. 

Carlisle were in Division 1 in the early 70s and I think they`ve been out and back?

As always, depends on what definition of "biggest" we're using.

Some will base it on size of crowds (current, potential or historical). Others will base it on success on the pitch (current or historical). There's plenty of scope for disagreement in all that.

Personally, I don't consider Luton Town a bigger club than Bristol Rovers - they're obviously a far more successful one though. But that's just my definition. 

In the 1900s, City were a "big" club - not how we'd describe ourselves now. In the 1930s Huddersfield were massively successful- not so much now. So it's all relative and hugely subjective.

Which is a long winded way of saying, I dunno. Although it is one accolade I'm happy for dA gAss to claim. As if the ignominy of being a Non League team as recently as 2015 isn't sufficient! 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Given that they really only went out due to massive points deductions then I tend to agree.

Carlisle were in Division 1 in the early 70s and I think they`ve been out and back?

Won their first 3 fixtures of the 74/75 season to top the League, including a trip to Chelsea on the opening day. Sadly they still finished bottom.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

So were Notts County IIRC.

Ooh…pedantry alert.

Notts County were relegated from the old division one the season before the prem started, so technically they’ve never been in the premier league (although as members of division one at the time of the prem being founded had a say in its establishment).

So, two anal answers to quiz questions:

Oldham are the only premier league team to have subsequently been relegated to non league (Luton will be the first to traverse the other way since the prem was established if they go up)

Notts County are the answer to the question “Which team involved in the establishment of the premier league have never played a game in the division”. And, for my money, as the worlds oldest club and with all their history, are the biggest club to drop down to the national league as well.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ooh…pedantry alert.

Notts County we’re relegated from the old division one the season before the prem started, so technically they’ve never been in the premier league (although as members of division one at the time of the prem being founded had a say in its establishment).

So, two anal answers to quiz questions:

Oldham are the only premier league team to have subsequently been relegated to non league (Luton will be the first to traverse the other way since the prem was established if they go up)

Notts County are the answer to the question “Which team involved in the establishment of the premier league have never played a game in the division”. And, for my money, as the worlds oldest club and with all their history, are the biggest club to drop down to the national league as well.

No pedantry from me Silvio, just thought NC had been in the PL. I stand corrected and, like you, believe NC are the biggest club to go down to non league.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

To be honest I see most of the clubs mentioned as average sized league 1 clubs that have got 5-6k crowds playing City at some point in the last 20 years.

Technically not relegated out the league so probably doesn't count but Wimbledon got bigger crowds than all the clubs mentioned so far in the premier league era and a better trophy than Luton/Oxford in 80s.

Edited by Baba Yaga

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah some decent football league clubs in there at the moment Southend, Chesterfield, Oldham, York. Guess based on History and support its Luton and Oxford United.

I think it’s a bit odd for anyone to quote Oxford - a club that didn’t even achieve league status for the first time  until 1962, and dropped out in 2007. 

I think it’s because people equate big clubs with important cities.

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Bradford Park Avenue were a big name.

(Alright, its been a long day)

I know you were joking, but I am pretty sure that the pitch at Park Avenue, their former home ground, was the largest in the Football League, with Eastville being one of the smallest.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

19 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It has to be Notts County,. one of the 12 founders of the Football League, a Division One club between the wars, always a Division 2 (Championship) club in the 60's when I started supporting City. 

Agreed on Notts County, regular league opponents when I started going in the early 90s.

In a similar vein Scunthorpe have just been relegated to National League North. Crazy for a club of that size, went up to the Championship with is in 2007!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It has to be Notts County,. one of the 12 founders of the Football League, a Division One club between the wars, always a Division 2 (Championship) club in the 60's when I started supporting City. 

And, of course, the reason Juventus play in black and white stripes - if I recall correctly, their first kit was donated by Notts County as the pink shirts The Old Lady used to wear kept fading in the wash.

19 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think it’s a bit odd for anyone to quote Oxford - a club that didn’t even achieve league status for the first time  until 1962, and dropped out in 2007. 

I think it’s because people equate big clubs with important cities.

In fairness to Oxford, a League Cup win isn’t insignificant, but would definitely put others above them, Notts County if picking one. 

Not relegated, but Bury’s 2 x FA Cup wins (and reasonably recent existence vs Wanderers, Royal Engineers etc) maybe deserving of a mention in a broader ‘no longer in the league’ category, albeit I’m biased. 

27 minutes ago, One Team said:

Agreed on Notts County, regular league opponents when I started going in the early 90s.

In a similar vein Scunthorpe have just been relegated to National League North. Crazy for a club of that size, went up to the Championship with is in 2007!

Parallel to Yeovil who look like going to National League South, after being above us when in the Championship.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know you were joking, but I am pretty sure that the pitch at Park Avenue, their former home ground, was the largest in the Football League, with Eastville being one of the smallest.

When I lived in Yorkshire between ‘63 & ‘76 I watched Park Avenue a few times, and I can attest that it was a big ground (also bordering a county cricket pitch). It might have been the biggest, but in my mind’s eye I had always assumed that Port Vale had the biggest in the league. Happy to be wrong though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glastored said:

When I lived in Yorkshire between ‘63 & ‘76 I watched Park Avenue a few times, and I can attest that it was a big ground (also bordering a county cricket pitch). It might have been the biggest, but in my mind’s eye I had always assumed that Port Vale had the biggest in the league. Happy to be wrong though.

didnt we have the biggest pitch at one point......?