IGNORED

Can we stop singing the one about…

Hartleysbeard

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Agree that it's not big or clever and has no place in the 21st Century (much less around children). If people are so enamoured with the tune I'm sure the lyrics could be changed, like they were for Bradley Orr.

I'm not sure the line "Joey Bartons mum is Bradley Orr" is really gonna catch on I'm afraid.

• Haha 7

Is it still a suggestion that injured players might be able to improve their condition or state of distress when 'hit on the head with a baseball bat'? Or has medical science moved on and ruled that out as a potential fix.

Just wondering about our long-term injured and if their route to recovery might have been slightly swifter if this was deployed. 

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is it still a suggestion that injured players might be able to improve their condition or state of distress when 'hit on the head with a baseball bat'? Or has medical science moved on and ruled that out as a potential fix.

Just wondering about our long-term injured and if their route to recovery might have been slightly swifter if this was deployed. 

Also the assurance that "your going home in a Red n White/Bristol ambulance" when in truth your more than likely going to hospital ..

Isn't true either.

Edited by B1ackbird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Calling JB’s mother a wotsit isn’t a discrimination issue and as a previous poster said, likely accurate.

Probably best to educate the wee ones on what the chant means (cos they’ll find out eventually) instead of shying away from dealing with it. Then make it clear they don’t repeat it away from the football.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

…(insert current Bristol Rovers manager name here) being a whore?  

This one gets wheeled out every week from the corner of the south stand and it’s an absolute embarrassment that has no place in football stadiums…or anywhere else in fact. It’s abhorrent. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of the more good humoured chants levelled at the opposition, but this goes too far for me. Have I sung inappropriate songs at football before? Yes. When I first started attending games as a teenager back in the early 90s I was influenced by what I heard around me and joined in. Do I regret that? Yes. But I was a product of what I was surrounded by…I didn’t know any better.

I now take my own son to watch City and whilst I accept there will be plenty of colourful language for him to hear, I make a point of talking loudly to him when chants like this are happening, in attempt to drown it out. I don’t want him to think it’s in any way acceptable to repeat that chant or think it’s ok to level that accusation, whether in jest or otherwise, at a woman. He is taught to respect women and he calls out misogynistic behaviour when he witnesses it. 

As a club with a successful women’s team and a large number of female supporters, isn’t it about time we stopped this chant? 

Out of interest 

When you were one of the sheep back in the 90s

Would you have stopped singing songs you liked if some middle aged old goodie googie asked you to stop?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Out of interest 

When you were one of the sheep back in the 90s

Would you have stopped singing songs you liked if some middle aged old goodie googie asked you to stop?

It’s not the 90s though is it and generally people’s attitudes have changed, making chants like this far less acceptable. Perhaps I would have ignored someone asking me to stop…what I would have liked in retrospect is to never have heard those chants at all. 

Edited by Hartleysbeard
Typo
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

It’s not hypocrisy to acknowledge one’s own errors and to be willing to be part of changing a toxic culture. I only wish I’d have had positive influences from more senior fans when I started attending. 

I won’t sing it and I’d encourage others not to. Let’s focus on the positive and more palatable songs that everyone can get behind. 

I think the best thing to do is probably to explain to your child that at football matches, and in life, there are certain people that act a certain way.  It doesn’t make it right and it doesn’t mean they have to join in.  That’s what I’ve done with my child and it worked well.  All kids will come across unsavoury characters, words etc so hiding them from it is pointless. Use it as a chance to have a conversation 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I think the best thing to do is probably to explain to your child that at football matches, and in life, there are certain people that act a certain way.  It doesn’t make it right and it doesn’t mean they have to join in.  That’s what I’ve done with my child and it worked well.  All kids will come across unsavoury characters, words etc so hiding them from it is pointless. Use it as a chance to have a conversation 

I agree with that wholeheartedly and it’s exactly what I do. He’s not inclined to join in and certainly won’t repeat it outside of football either. But that doesn’t mean we have to accept it and let it go unchallenged. 

5 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

It’s not the 90s though is it and generally people’s attitudes have changed, making chants like this far less acceptable. Perhaps I would have ignored someone asking me to stop…what I would have liked in retrospect is to never have heard those chants at all. 

If attitudes have really changed, it'll die out anyway.

You've stopped singing it, plenty of agreement on here., who presumably also have.

Some will still do it, and some will join in, but it'll get less and less, and eventually stop. We've seen it with other chants.

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Attitudes in life have changed but have they changed for the better?

Some of the PC nonsense around us at the moment has gone too far

• Like 12

Perhaps it's best to keep the song but change the lyrics to something less offensive. 

How about...... 

Who's that team they call the Rovers

Who's that team that with temporary stands

They play in blue and white

Some of their games are played at night

And Joey Bartons mother can work your glans. 

• Haha 5

I had my fun.....which I thoroughly enjoyed but now I'm an old bastard you should listen to me, who has now realised the error of their ways, and not have the same fun I was able to have. Football is no longer a place for creative chanting that sails a bit close to the wind and should move on with the politically correct and socially moral times we now live in..........I only say that because I have grown up and naturally evolved my opinions on life to suit those characteristics, no other reason.

In other words, if you are young and having a bit of a laugh "**** off". That's the OP in a nutshell isn't it?

• Like 6

In terms of chants/songs nothing much changes and football matches per se.  50+ years ago we all sang and chanted an array of different content.

I remember when Story-Moore played against us and the song aimed at him included the word whore and ‘get on yer bike and ride away”

The idea was to try offend the player or the away fans and it’s still the same these days - just a lot quieter than it used to be.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I had my fun.....which I thoroughly enjoyed but now I'm an old bastard you should listen to me, who has now realised the error of their ways, and not have the same fun I was able to have. Football is no longer a place for creative chanting that sails a bit close to the wind and should move on with the politically correct and socially moral times we now live in..........I only say that because I have grown up and naturally evolved my opinions on life to suit those characteristics, no other reason.

In other words, if you are young and having a bit of a laugh "**** off". That's the OP in a nutshell isn't it?

If that’s how you’ve interpreted my post then fair enough. But I’m not trying to stop people having fun, regardless of age. I’m just saying that in hindsight I regret participating in unsavoury chants, albeit the 90s were a very different time and I didn’t know any better. 

I think it’s entirely possible to eliminate overtly discriminatory chants without stemming the flow of creativity for good humoured ones. 

If you’re happy to continue endorsing this brand of support and feel that’s the right example to set to younger people in society then so be it. But I won’t be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

That is possibly the most insulting generalisation in a reply for a long time

I wonder what age bracket you would class yourself as, just so we all know that is the only age bracket we should acknowledge has a decent IQ

I was generalising the young 'ultra' football fans, which I stand by, as a generalisation. I'm 28. I don’t know why you’d assume my age bracket is what I think is a decent IQ though.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion on songs sang at the gate but at the end of the day it’s a football match and compared to most clubs across the country Ashton gate is pretty toned down .

Best thing you could do is tell the young kids that what they hear at football isn’t to be repeated . Majority of people aren’t gonna stop singing a common song because a couple people are offended by it .

5 minutes ago, Hartleysbeard said:

If that’s how you’ve interpreted my post then fair enough. But I’m not trying to stop people having fun, regardless of age. I’m just saying that in hindsight I regret participating in unsavoury chants, albeit the 90s were a very different time and I didn’t know any better. 

I think it’s entirely possible to eliminate overtly discriminatory chants without stemming the flow of creativity for good humoured ones. 

If you’re happy to continue endorsing this brand of support and feel that’s the right example to set to younger people in society then so be it. But I won’t be. 

You could be onto something here.

Its 2023.

Joey Barton's Father could be his Mother.

Men can give birth now.

Its essential your movement saves fandom from the tyranny of chants.

Edited by Sixtyseconds
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

For this joke I will be using the word "bitch", but I want to make it clear that the use of the word "bitch" in no way refers to a woman, as I would never be that disrespectful to the fairer sex. I would only ever use this word whilst referring to a female dog.

OK, so last night Daryl Clarke was ****ing this bitch..........

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Interesting that calling someone's mother a whore is the hill many are willing to die on. 

Plenty of things to abuse Barton over, all of which are far more justifiable.

Plenty of things to abuse the sad sags over, all of which are far more justifiable.

I think criticism of the lyrics of this particular chant are understandable and reasonable, it's more than a bit ropey. To make those criticisms isn't infringing on anyone's right to fun or free speech. 

Some chants become outdated. I remember hearing songs about Aberfan when we played Welsh sides in the 90's and 2000's. I remember "I'd rather be a P**i than a taff" emanating around all four stands. I remember "his kids are deaf and he's a ****". Is anyone arguing those songs should still be sung? Where the target is dead children, Ethnic Minorities or the disabled? Was that "just a chant"? I don't think calling the families of oppositions managers whore's is punching up or even sideways, personally. 

I really hope you don’t think disaster songs, racism or disability chants are on the same level. Nobody is defending those and they are NOT the same thing.

4 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

…(insert current Bristol Rovers manager name here) being a whore?  

This one gets wheeled out every week from the corner of the south stand and it’s an absolute embarrassment that has no place in football stadiums…or anywhere else in fact. It’s abhorrent. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of the more good humoured chants levelled at the opposition, but this goes too far for me. Have I sung inappropriate songs at football before? Yes. When I first started attending games as a teenager back in the early 90s I was influenced by what I heard around me and joined in. Do I regret that? Yes. But I was a product of what I was surrounded by…I didn’t know any better.

I now take my own son to watch City and whilst I accept there will be plenty of colourful language for him to hear, I make a point of talking loudly to him when chants like this are happening, in attempt to drown it out. I don’t want him to think it’s in any way acceptable to repeat that chant or think it’s ok to level that accusation, whether in jest or otherwise, at a woman. He is taught to respect women and he calls out misogynistic behaviour when he witnesses it. 

As a club with a successful women’s team and a large number of female supporters, isn’t it about time we stopped this chant? 

pretty sure most people don’t actually think joeys mother is really a whore, it’s just sung in jest, let’s not take everything to seriously.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

pretty sure most people don’t actually think joeys mother is really a whore, it’s just sung in jest, let’s not take everything to seriously.

I’m sure most don’t although some replies here suggest otherwise. But that’s not the point. Casual sexism (whether there’s intent or not) reinforces negative attitudes towards women. That’s why I don’t like it. 

3 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Now if we can stop the utterly stupid new version of the tractor song,

3 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

That tractor one is abysmal.

Tbh I am far more annoyed about the lyrics of the dreadful revamped tractor song than about a refrain impugning the mother of the latest 15er manager. It’s completely cringeworthy. 

• Like 5