IGNORED

Can we stop singing the one about…

Hartleysbeard

You just start the conversation with any child asking what the words mean with “well firstly the song is meant as a joke. . .”

People are a bit sensitive when it comes to bad language, just give them the heads up that they’re going to hear rude words at football, and they can use those words at football, but not elsewhere. 

• Like 8

On 13/04/2023 at 14:52, Robbored said:

In terms of chants/songs nothing much changes and football matches per se.  50+ years ago we all sang and chanted an array of different content.

I remember when Story-Moore played against us and the song aimed at him included the word whore and ‘get on yer bike and ride away”

The idea was to try offend the player or the away fans and it’s still the same these days - just a lot quieter than it used to be.

Not sure what relevance that has to a chant about the manager of a team we’ve not played in almost a decade

• Hmmm 1

On 16/04/2023 at 00:48, joe jordans teeth said:

This may seem like a weird idea but how about people who decided to bring children into this world actually teach them right from wrong and not tell people who they have never met what to do or sing,I know it’s mind blowing stuff and unimaginable 

I don’t think these things need to be mutually exclusive. Surely as part of educating one’s own child as to what is right and what is wrong, calling out discriminatory or abusive chanting is a positive example to set them? 

On 14/04/2023 at 19:02, Percy Pig said:

OK Shed, whatever you say. I only wrote a dissertation on the reflective nature of fan culture and societal values. 3 years of reading, interviews and statistical analysis was wasted, should have just come to you. 

You're also confusing what I'm saying, I've made no reference to political allegiance or party politics. Only person who has othered anyone here is you with your "little" jibes. 

There is a relationship, defined and measurable, between what is deemed politically acceptable discourse and the behaviour, actions and culture of football fans. As one changes, so too does the other. It's not always "progressive" changes. Sometimes it's regressive. There's a fairly direct link between the racially incendiary songs you reference at Luton and far right leaders like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon of course. 

This isn't a particularly nuanced point, but it's been interesting to dust off the cobwebs of a decade old paper. So thanks for that. 

You didn't answer @Cowshed question. Is flag day political? I mentioned the EE mural was that political? Links to Wilem II? The songs about cider and the Wurzels? How is Bristol City fan culture political?

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 15:49, Street red said:

They certainly did what a mural it was in the old east end without these so called morons as was quoted Ashton gate would definitely be your average local library.

Some of the same crew started flag day, the Weston all dayer, the Willem II fan link, songs we sing now. 100%. The legacy is still there and some of them are still about. Read the thread and i think i would ask what big ideas do they have? The anti Rovers thing is football panto, part of it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

I didn't specify our fan culture once. I was talking about the british/English fan culture generally. Again, that really wasn't that complicated a point... 

You said our fans and our culture is driven by politics. Maybe yours is but my our isnt. Politics isnt part of it.