IGNORED

City players who have scored four or more in a game

Lanterne Rouge

Whilst trying to get back to sleep with thunder and lightning (which was very, very frightening by the way) going on the other night I was trying to think of City players I`d seen score four in a game. I could only come up with three in my time watching:

Joe Royle v Boro

Carl Shutt v Fulham(?)

Paul Agostino v St  Albans

I can`t recall any more and certainly I`ve not seen a City player score more than four. As far as opposition players scoring four against us I can only remember David Connolly for Wolves in the little pigs game or did I imagine that?

There were quite a few in the early days, partly owing to the formations used.

From c. 1890 to 1925 and the introduction of the new offside rule (previously no players were allowed to be ahead of the ball, meaning no forward passes as in rugby), this was the standard formation:

formation_235_numbers.png

https://www.footballhistory.org/formations.html

Flicking through more recent seasons I can add Alan Williams with four away against Halifax in Division 3 1963.

I'm very impressed by @slartibartfast remembering John Atyeo's four goals in 1965!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Colin Lee four v the Gas in 1978. He was our agent playing for Tottenham on debut, I think, having signed from Torquay whom he'd joined from us. 

I think with us he just made the subs bench once and I think unused v West Ham in a one all draw at Ashton Gate in 1976. Famous for the PG Chimps being the pre-match entertainment and a West Ham player breaking his leg (Holland?).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There were quite a few in the early days, partly owing to the formations used.

From c. 1890 to 1925 and the introduction of the new offside rule (previously no players were allowed to be ahead of the ball, meaning no forward passes as in rugby), this was the standard formation:

formation_235_numbers.png

https://www.footballhistory.org/formations.html

Flicking through more recent seasons I can add Alan Williams with four away against Halifax in Division 3 1963.

I'm very impressed by @slartibartfast remembering John Atyeo's four goals in 1965!

I think it was Bobby "Shadow" Williams !

• Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, magunn said:

I believe a man called Payne once scored 10 in a game for Luton. Can’t recall who it was against though. 

I hadn't realised that prior to that game he had only played four times that season, and all those in defence, and he hadn't played for the Luton first team for five months.

His achievement is even more impressive than it seems at first sight.

Payne made his League debut for Luton on 29 December 1934, against Southend United, and he made one further appearance during his initial season. The 1935–36 season saw Payne start four games as half-back, the last of which came on 21 September 1935 against Crystal Palace, and he did not play for the club again until 13 April 1936, in a match against Bristol Rovers.[3] Due to injuries to Jack Ball and Bill Boyd, Payne was played at centre-forward and scored 10 goals, still a Football League record, in a 12–0 win.

On 15/04/2023 at 11:10, slartibartfast said:

Atyeo v Shrews away (promotion season) ?

I went to that match as a school boy. It took for ever to get there on the coach. I remember Brian Clark scored first for City but it was 1-1 at half time with things looking a bit dodgy. Then came big John with 4 goals in the second half, scored at the end the City fans were congregated. It was an Easter Monday. Before the Easter weekend City’s hopes of promotion looked bleak but, somehow, all the results went City’s way. “All” city had to do was win the last 3 matches starting with Shrewsbury. This match probably ruined my like as I expected supporting City would result in great matches such as this. Little did I know 

• Thanks 3

On 15/04/2023 at 11:10, slartibartfast said:

Atyeo v Shrews away (promotion season) ?

Atyeo hit 5 v Chichester in the 11-0 cup win.

Moving on from that, we don't seem to have had more than five players score in a single game. In a 6-0 win one player scored twice.