IGNORED

Leeds v Liverpool

Jerseybean

I smiled when reading the BBC website running commentary.

When Liverpool's sixth went in it read

" good news Leeds fans, you've avoided back to back 5-1 defeats"

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

Leeds were defensively piss poor. Liverpool barely got out of second gear to put 6 past them. Leeds have no dominant CBs or leaders and they looked truly shocking. It was the same last season when they sacked Bielsa. Now they’re two points outside the drop zone and in deep shit with 7 games left - one against Man City

20 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

The worry I guess is you lose him getting to the byline and crossing, something he is arguably the best in the world at.

But last night you did see how effective he could be playing inverted. Don't think Liverpool can do that unless Konate is RCB, blokes a beast. Matip far too slow and Gomez far too useless to cover two positions. 

172 Premier League appearances at 25 years old along with a Premier League. FA Cup, Community Shield, Champions League, Super Cup and Club World Cup Winners medal is far too useless?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

They said it wasn’t deliberate and was to far away from the goal to have interfered ?. Just gets more and more confusing about what is and isn’t a goal. 

I've never been a fan of VAR and things like this reinforces that feeling.

If the incident in question is a turn over of the ball that directly leads to a goal... I don't understand what the point of VAR is.

How does the distance from goal make any difference? 

It was similar to Frances goal against England at the world cup. Sure, the foul was at the other end of the pitch but walker had overlapped leaving mbappe unmarked to race down the pitch and assist... the only time mbappe got away from walker all game.

Last nights was even worse... its literally 3 kicks of the ball later and it's a goal.

It's all a nonsense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanjita said:

How was that not handball for Liverpool’s first goal?
VAR ?

I think it was because the VAR review determined that the "handball" did not happen during the goalscoring phase of play, which raises the issue that I find so frustrating about the prescriptive way in which the laws of the game have been interfered with by the administrators.

We all feel that when it comes to fouls, there are many occasions  when a tackle that would penalised anywhere else on the pitch is not given as a penalty when committed inside the penalty area. As I understand it, when it comes to handball the administrators have effectively made that distinction as there is a different handball interpretation , not only when the "offence" takes place inside the penalty area, but also dependant on who commits the handball "offence". 

For example, imagine an innocuous ball to hand incident ,with absolutely no intent, no unnatural arm position etc. etc. If that happened to a defender inside the penalty area then it is rightly not penalised. However, had exactly the same thing happened to a striker, either while scoring a goal or during the goalscoring phase of play, then it is deemed a handball offence and the goal  is disallowed and the defending team is awarded a free kick.

Looking at the TAA incident last night, the first question has nothing to do with the above, but just why was it not handball, because it looked it to me? The fact that the VAR review concluded that it was not handball because it was not in the goalscoring passage of play, means that had it been during the goal scoring passage of play it would have been penalised. That then raises the question as to how the heck did they determine that it was not during the goal scoring passage of play?!

It really is bonkers when an offence is an offence dependant on where it happened, when it happened and by whom it was committed? If you then factor in the people making that determination, then the inmates really are running the asylum!

With all of this in mind, when you wonder why we get so few penalties you only have to ask, was the tackle made by a defender, did it prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity, was it in the penalty area, was it foul play and was it committed on a Bristol City player?  You have your answer!

43 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think it was because the VAR review determined that the "handball" did not happen during the goalscoring phase of play, which raises the issue that I find so frustrating about the prescriptive way in which the laws of the game have been interfered with by the administrators.

We all feel that when it comes to fouls, there are many occasions  when a tackle that would penalised anywhere else on the pitch is not given as a penalty when committed inside the penalty area. As I understand it, when it comes to handball the administrators have effectively made that distinction as there is a different handball interpretation , not only when the "offence" takes place inside the penalty area, but also dependant on who commits the handball "offence". 

For example, imagine an innocuous ball to hand incident ,with absolutely no intent, no unnatural arm position etc. etc. If that happened to a defender inside the penalty area then it is rightly not penalised. However, had exactly the same thing happened to a striker, either while scoring a goal or during the goalscoring phase of play, then it is deemed a handball offence and the goal  is disallowed and the defending team is awarded a free kick.

Looking at the TAA incident last night, the first question has nothing to do with the above, but just why was it not handball, because it looked it to me? The fact that the VAR review concluded that it was not handball because it was not in the goalscoring passage of play, means that had it been during the goal scoring passage of play it would have been penalised. That then raises the question as to how the heck did they determine that it was not during the goal scoring passage of play?!

It really is bonkers when an offence is an offence dependant on where it happened, when it happened and by whom it was committed? If you then factor in the people making that determination, then the inmates really are running the asylum!

With all of this in mind, when you wonder why we get so few penalties you only have to ask, was the tackle made by a defender, did it prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity, was it in the penalty area, was it foul play and was it committed on a Bristol City player?  You have your answer!

You have the situation when a linesman can put up his flag when a player is in an offside position but sometimes only reacts if a "goal" is scored. So blatant fouls are disregarded because in hindsight they happened after a player was deemed to be in an offside position. I think that this gives the defenders a free hit to get away with murder if they anticipate the offside. 

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

The worry I guess is you lose him getting to the byline and crossing, something he is arguably the best in the world at.

But last night you did see how effective he could be playing inverted. Don't think Liverpool can do that unless Konate is RCB, blokes a beast. Matip far too slow and Gomez far too useless to cover two positions. 

Maybe they wont feel the need to sign a young Championship midfielder now, if they have one already in their ranks.

5 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

How good was Trent in midfield though ? 

Read an interview with Kenny Dalglish at the time Trent broke through, he said that he would eventually end up in midfield. I really rate Trent offensively but his flaws defensively are not going away.

Liverpool need to revamp their midfield and he could be part of the solution