IGNORED

Chris Garland England U23 at Ashton Gate

Jefferz

Is my memory playing tricks? I was a kid at the U23 England v GDR match at AG in 1972. My question is: was Chris Garland on the bench? My memory is that Chris was an unused sub, much to our disappointment at the time. Can anyone confirm? 

Edited by Jefferz

18 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Is my memory playing tricks? I was a kid at the U23 England v GDR match at AG in 1972. My question is: was Chris Garland on the bench? My memory is that Chris was an unused sub, much to our disappointment at the time. Can anyone confirm? 

Spot on, including the date.  I was in the General at the time in the days when they kept you in for a week after having your tonsils out.  Asked to get out early, but the Matron was having none of it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, miser said:

Think it was ealier. 1960s. Sure our player (Garland) selected to boost the crowd.

Hi Thank you for this. I went back to England v Wales at AG in 1969 and found a programme for sale online. Thankfully it had a pic of the line ups and you are right CG was a sub. My memory of wanting Chris to come on was stronger than the date and opponents. This was the game I attended with my Dad in the old Kids enclosure below the Grand stand. If it did boost crowd, Alf didn’t give him a run out. Old curmudgeon.

7E323177-1DC0-4981-804D-F388E613E6DC.jpeg

Edited by Jefferz
  • Robin 1

• The title was changed to Chris Garland England U23 at Ashton Gate
28 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

I was there and yes, CG was on the bench. Speculation his selection was a cynical move just to boost the crowd  i.e never any intention if playing him.

44 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Yes he was

B69B6195-46BA-4CE6-AC8F-B6E2FFE04B8E.thumb.png.9cde8a052a897f213707155cd696ce2c.pngI’ve also been able to find the U23 England v Bulgaria programme online. The odd thing is that CG got his only cap at Home Park but doesn’t appear in the squad as printed. PS the point about the ‘crowd booster’ is fairly conclusive as the squad features Norman Piper of Plymouth Argyle. Wonder if Alf gave him a run !?

Edited by Jefferz

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There was another England game during the early 70's at Ashton Gate. Not at home so can't check but I got Kevin Keegan, Malcolm Macdonald, Alf Ramsey, Harold Sheperdson autographs amongst others in my autograph book. Anyone remember the occasion?

This one .

Screenshot2023-04-19at21_42_10.png.ae7dac8dc7b3d093bbb63164911aba9c.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This one .

Yes I'm getting confused. Someone has muddied the waters talking about England v Wales. Yes Keegan and Macdonald were in the squad and Garland was on the bench. I can remember going to this game. Got all the England autographs 

Edited by Sir Geoff
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Would CG have been too old to play in this one( or is one player allowed per team?)

I think they used to allow a couple of over age players.
Chris would have been 24 so could have been an over age player. I could be wrong about the rumour it was a long time ago, but I'm convinced that's why I nagged my Dad to take me.

12 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why would Rod Thomas be captaining the German Democratic Republic 

Haha ? This is AG in 1969. What surprises me is how small David Nish is. Remember him as being taller/bigger

met a bloke on holiday from Derby who worshipped Nish as a legend

Edited by Jefferz

24 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

There was another England game during the early 70's at Ashton Gate. Not at home so can't check but I got Kevin Keegan, Malcolm Macdonald, Alf Ramsey, Harold Sheperdson autographs amongst others in my autograph book. Anyone remember the occasion?

I think you will find Alf was born in 1920. He would have been 52 and was not an U23

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know I went to one U23's game, early 70s and Garland was rumoured to be playing.

He didn't and it was a dull 0-0, 

Screenshot2023-04-19at21_37_26.png.d7975a1a299b0f75362c78a84db2292a.png

This site be of interest.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/matchrsl/MatchRslTmU23.html

I was only 3 at the time, but remember all of the players bar G.Palmer, S.Mills, and P.Fletcher.  Any insight on them, did they drift into lower league football?

37 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This one .

Same with this (I was 1)…who was D.Jeffries?

54 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes I'm getting confused. Someone has muddied the waters talking about England v Wales. Yes Keegan and Macdonald were in the squad and Garland was on the bench. I can remember going to this game. Got all the England autographs 

There was one Bristolian in the England team - Larry Lloyd, although he was a former gas player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was only 3 at the time, but remember all of the players bar G.Palmer, S.Mills, and P.Fletcher.  Any insight on them, did they drift into lower league football?

Same with this (I was 1)…who was D.Jeffries?

I am presuming Geoff Palmer from Wolves and Paul Fletcher from Burnley.  S Mills  was Steve Mills from Southampton who sadly died in a car accident in his 20s

Edited by MSN Red
  • Thanks 1