IGNORED

Chris Garland England U23 at Ashton Gate

Jefferz

Begs the question, when did we start using a different Manager for the younger age teams? 

It seems to make sense from a continuity point of view to have the same Manager, it's not like they have a lot of work to do. :)

My guess would be that there became a point where the squad sizes made it impractical to have one Manager for all levels 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was only 3 at the time, but remember all of the players bar G.Palmer, S.Mills, and P.Fletcher.  Any insight on them, did they drift into lower league football?

As @MSN Red said . Geoff Palmer mainly played for Wolves, Paul Fletcher mainly Burnley and Steve Mills was at Southampton.

Really annoyed , I'm convinced I had/have the programme but just spent an hour looking and no luck.

Same with this (I was 1)…who was D.Jeffries?

From what I can see, Derek Jefferies started at Man City and moved to Palace.

Living the wrong side of Town, I remember night matches were difficult as Ar Muh didn't like me going on my own . Dad got the short straw, and probably to shut me up took me. We were in the Dolman still fairly new at the time. The rest was a let down :facepalm:

12 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Yes he was

Dear Sir Geoff, Tricks memory playing. The following is from an owner of the 1972  U23 England v GDR programme at AG. You are right. Rod Thomas was not the captain of the GDR

‘Hi - thanks for getting in touch - I wonder which side of the debate you are on??!

The subs listed in the programme are Alan West & Alan Stevenson (both Burnley) and Stuart Pearson - then of Hull City

My edition has the team changes noted - all of which were to the GDR's published line up.

There is a small feature on page 17 of the programme entitled "Bristol City's  Under 23 strikers". It highlights John Atyeo and Garland as the only two Bristol City players to represent England at U23 level. Garland';s appearance was against Bulgaria, as a last 20 minutes sub, in 1970 at Plymouth.

Hope this sorts things out for you Mark - delighted to help

All the best.

Edited by Jefferz

1 hour ago, MSN Red said:

I am presuming Geoff Palmer from Wolves and Paul Fletcher from Burnley.  S Mills  was Steve Mills from Southampton who sadly died in a car accident in his 20s

Yes, recall Geoff Palmer now.

Vaguely recall Fletcher, but not Mills.

Ta

D.Jefferies???

3146BD1F-C469-4847-98F4-6D8254F9553D.jpeg

16 hours ago, Jefferz said:

Is my memory playing tricks? I was a kid at the U23 England v GDR match at AG in 1972. My question is: was Chris Garland on the bench? My memory is that Chris was an unused sub, much to our disappointment at the time. Can anyone confirm? 

Correct, but a few months later, just before he became too old, Chris was called up for the game v Bulgaria played at Home Park.

As Chris joined Chesea in 71, the gamewas probably 1970

1 hour ago, East Yorkshire CideRed said:

The same Sparwasser who famously scored for East Germany against West Germany in the 74 World Cup?

Sparwasser you say…

Ah, The beautiful sparkling healthy spa water of Bath
In Avon
I Hate Nerys Hughes
I Hate Nerys Hughes
I Hate Nerys Hughes
I Hate Nerys Hughes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomF said:
11 hours ago, TomF said:

Does anyone know how he’s doing? 

He’s still in a care home in Newport, where he’s being looked after due to Parkinson’s, also his memory is none too good. Not well enough to travel to games for the various AG8 celebrations, where he’s been represented by his children.

Edited by East End Old Boy
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

He’s still in a care home in Newport, where he’s being looked after due to Parkinson’s, also his memory is none too good. Not well enough to travel to games for the various AG8 celebrations, where he’s been represented by his children.

Very sad, obviously, but do you have any idea why he is in a care home in Newport, as opposed to Bristol?

Surely there must be a suitable facility closer to home and his family and friends.