IGNORED

Happy St George's Day

freezer

4 minutes ago, southside said:

FB_IMG_1682246968072.jpg.fbbee32bd5570918f687c75f5ebb9cb6.jpg

Bit inaccurate that meme. 

A) There was no such place as Turkey when he was around. His dad was from Greek-speaking Anatolia, now part of Turkey.

B) There was no such place as Syria when he was around. His mum was from majority-Greek speaking Capodoccia, now part of Syria.

C) He died in Lodd, in what is now Israel.  The entirity of Israel, as well as Palestine, Lebanon and parts of Syria was called Palestina by the Greeks.

D) He was a Roman citizen (and soldier) but not a Roman.

E) He is revered in Islam as Jurjis, but not in Judaism. No Christian saints are considered prophets in Judaism. 

F) He may very well not have existed. There doesn't appear to have been any mention of him until nearly two centuries after his alleged death. The dragon myth is not mentioned for another 5 centuries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southside said:

FB_IMG_1682246968072.jpg.fbbee32bd5570918f687c75f5ebb9cb6.jpg

I don't like these memes.  They are the counter argument to the notion that St George mainly the flag is some sort of logo for the right, or nationalist movements.  Just celibate the day if you wish and try not to give any thought to the idiots who hijack the flag.  It always reminds me of the idiots in Radstock who took down the English flag as it might offend Muslims.  Own you flag and don't be ashamed of it, be ashamed of people who use it as a way to justify their hateful views. 

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1

According to some St Edmund is the 'real' patron saint of England, though as he was only king of East Anglia, this claim must be regarded as dubious.

Still, he was a clever bloke. After his head was chopped off by Vikings it cried out "here, here, I'm over here" to his followers who went looking for it the next day. How many kings have managed that?!

His Saint's Day is in November, and we need a few more bank holidays at that end of the year. If we accept, we only adopted the flag of St George in exchange for letting English/French ships shelter in Genoa prior to the Third Crusade, then maybe we ought to adopt St Edmund's flag?

Flag of Suffolk - Wikipedia

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Can a king also be a patron saint?

Although not technically the first king of England, Alfred the Great largely paved the way to a united England. I can't say I know much at all about St George (beyond Two Mile Hill !) 

I don't think there are any "rules" so to speak.

St Edmund does at least have the advantage of living in England and definitely existing.  His flag's a bit tricky though. Would play havoc with the Union Flag.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

I always find it somewhat intriguing how this debate always comes up on St George's Day, yet never gets mentioned at any other patron saint days for other UK countries

St David was Welsh, as was St Patrick, but he did reside in Ireland. St Andrew as you probably know, was one of the Twelve apostles and Scotland's connection to him is said to be when relics (bones) of the saint were taken (centuries after his death) to a church in what is now called St Andrews.  The Scottish flag, is the original flag of the town. 

David and Patrick probably existed, Andrew and George, well, the jury is out...

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think there are any "rules" so to speak.

St Edmund does at least have the advantage of living in England and definitely existing.  His flag's a bit tricky though. Would play havoc with the Union Flag.

Didn't realise he was born in what now is Germany. 

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Didn't realise he was born in what now is Germany. 

Don't think he would have been.  We don't know much about him, but Angles would've been fairly well established in the UK for 300+ years and separate from their North German/Friesian/Danish ancestry by that time. 

Athelstan, about 60 years later, might be called the first King of England. Certainly, he's the first person to style himself as such. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Don't think he would have been.  We don't know much about him, but Angles would've been fairly well established in the UK for 300+ years and separate from their North German/Friesian/Danish ancestry by that time. 

Athelstan, about 60 years later, might be called the first King of England. Certainly, he's the first person to style himself as such. 

Only going by what I've read online. Who knows.